• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanokon: The Girl Who Cried Fox DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
The reviewer wrote:
Some have claimed that Kanokon gets better in its later stages...

Those people are lying to you.

That might depend upon whether "better" means that the fanservice goes more over-the-top, or not.

Is this the "ecchiest" of Noto Mamiko's roles? It's a huge contrast to her characters in MariMite and Jigoku Shoujo (which is one reason why I wanted to watch Kanokon, to see her voice a very different type of character). Anime smile;; Hmm... She was in Rin/Mnemosyne, which had its sexual moments, but most people probably wouldn't lump that OVA series with Kanokon. There are one or two other series mentioned in her list on ANN that might have had some sexual humor, but they're not ones that I've seen.

She's also in Kemeko DX and Nogizaka Haruka No Himitsu if I'm not mistaken.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Having seen both Kemeko and Haruka's Secret neither of them are anywhere near on the ecchi scale to Kanokon.

EDIT: Though I haven't watched Purezza, so that may be.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

EDIT: Though I haven't watched Purezza, so that may be.

Yeah, Purezza was....definitely upping the ecchi level.

(Needless to say, it wasn't as good as season 1)
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
The reviewer wrote:
Some have claimed that Kanokon gets better in its later stages...

No. No, it doesn't.

Then I'm glad I dropped it after the first episode. Kanokon really isn't my kind of ecchi anime. I prefer fanservice shows with actual plot over the mindless kind that focuses mostly on boobs and panties.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GrilledEelHamatsu"]
luisedgarf wrote:

BTW is Arvitel a NY ADR company?

No, they are from Burbank, CA.
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
I watched 1 1/2 episodes of this series some years back online...and my god...That was MORE than enough. I thought anime was going to hell after watching this. WHY do they bring this BS over to U.S. WHO is asking for the BS in the U.S.???
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ah, come on now, fella. I can understand that certain shows aren't to people's taste, but it does seem rather mean-spirited and joyless to argue that fans of such shows shouldn't be provided for.

You can't even use the tiresome argument that this stuff 'is killing anime' (I know you didn't say that, but it's a common complaint); look at all the other good stuff coming along. Durarara, Eden of the East, Hetalia, plenty more!

Anyway, uh...yeah. Having said that, after seeing bits of it on YouTube a good while back, all I can say is: Goddamn. Where else can ecchi go after this?! Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Anyway, uh...yeah. Having said that, after seeing bits of it on YouTube a good while back, all I can say is: Goddamn. Where else can ecchi go after this?! Laughing

That's a question probably best not asked. (See Seikon no Qwaser, where the super-powered warriors empower themselves by sucking on the breasts of nubile girls - no, I'm not making this up.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Haha! I did say 'ecchi', not 'batshit mental borderline hentai'!

In defense of what I have seen of Seikon no Qwaser (episodes 1 & 2), it felt to me that the show was perfectly aware of just how silly its premise was, and played up to it. Really, I was chuckling at it all the way through those two eps.

Then the preview for episode 3 came up and introduced goth loli Katja, so I stopped watching. I am not going there! Confused I've also been told that episode 15 is the ultimate in WTF mentalism: spoiler[Sasha is lectured to by a pair of breasts. Shocked ]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
eaglesdome810 wrote:
I watched 1 1/2 episodes of this series some years back online...and my god...That was MORE than enough. I thought anime was going to hell after watching this. WHY do they bring this BS over to U.S. WHO is asking for the BS in the U.S.???

I've been asking the same question for years. Several years ago, I read one-two chapters of the manga and that was more than enough. It's really nothing but fan service and more fan service.

Though I do know how wants this brought over into the United States and that is group of otaku that rather watch shows that have only fan service instead of plot instead of shows that use plot instead of fan service.

I do wish less of these shows were licensed and dubbed and more intelligent shows with a solid plot and limited fan service were licensed and dubbed. You see one fan service show like this, you've seen them all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
eaglesdome810 wrote:

The same people who ask for other ecchi fanservice shows or even hentai anime. Oh no, anime isn't a pure hipster art form that commands respect and praise because of, gasp, nipples!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:

In defense of what I have seen of Seikon no Qwaser (episodes 1 & 2), it felt to me that the show was perfectly aware of just how silly its premise was, and played up to it. Really, I was chuckling at it all the way through those two eps.

Oh, I agree. That's what's made it watchable for me.

Quote:
Then the preview for episode 3 came up and introduced goth loli Katja, so I stopped watching. I am not going there! Confused

So you don't want to know, then, that she turns out to be spoiler[a lesbian dominatrix who essentially turns the bully-girl into a virtual sex slave?] (Again, no, I am not making that up.)

Quote:
I've also been told that episode 15 is the ultimate in WTF mentalism: spoiler[Sasha is lectured to by a pair of breasts. Shocked ]

This is, in a way, completely accurate.

I really have to get around to finishing that one. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

So you don't want to know, then, that she turns out to be spoiler[a lesbian dominatrix who essentially turns the bully-girl into a virtual sex slave?] (Again, no, I am not making that up.)

My favorite character. Just saying.

I actually somehow did manage to finish this one.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
See, it's this kind of anime that pisses me off and makes me wonder why people complain that "why don't we get good storylines anymore". It's because people keep wanting stupid girls in fox tails or something along the lines of it that Japan writers keep writing this instead of giving us good shows like Durarara and DTB.

But, if this is what the people demand, let it be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
But, if this is what the people demand, let it be.

Whoa, pump your brakes, Sonic. Ecchi fans demand stuff like High School of the Dead, Mahoromatic, Girls Bravo, Dirty Pair, and Tenchi Muyo, shows that have ecchi and are very entertaining for one reason or another. The fact that stuff like Kanokan gets made is proof that you can't hit home run every time at bat. Sometimes you swing and miss (in the case of Kanokan they swung, missed, the bat flew out of their hands, hit an elderly man in the head, and then got ejected out the game for being a complete idiot and danger to the fans).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4