• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Pilloried Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow at the flake. Someone watches FOX News.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Something about the flake this week just doesn't ring true me. After I read it, I felt as if the writer was trying too hard to write a letter that would be considered "flake-worthy," and that the writing style used in the letter isn't the individual's usual writing style.

But maybe that is just me...

v1cious wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
actually for ages until I saw an actual picture of you I always had this image in my head of Zac/Answerman = Howl Anime hyper First impressions stick I guess Laughing
I thought the very same thing. Probably the same reason why, for example, my exposure to dubs being what it is Vic Mignona is Full Metal Panic's Kurtz and that's all there is to it. It's as if my mind needs to refer to some sort of visualization so I default to people's icons (or other regularly associated images) even if I know it's illogical. Probably pretty common, I'd wager.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Brian, I'm usually with you on most of your opinions, but I can't get behind you on buying every seriously botched release just because you like the show. Yeah, you can bitch all you want on the internet and that may or may not get something accomplished, but these companies are in this business for profit, and if they're coming out ahead at the end of the day, they're not gonna care about a bunch of angry rants. Vote with your wallet first, people... Then feel free to tell them why you didn't buy their product.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Brian, I'm usually with you on most of your opinions, but I can't get behind you on buying every seriously botched release just because you like the show. Yeah, you can bitch all you want on the internet and that may or may not get something accomplished, but these companies are in this business for profit, and if they're coming out ahead at the end of the day, they're not gonna care about a bunch of angry rants. Vote with your wallet first, people... Then feel free to tell them why you didn't buy their product.

Well, the last "seriously botched release" I got was the Toradora/Persona stuff from NIS America. The "angry rants" got a repressing of the discs, and free replacements delivered to anyone who asked. And some of those arrived scratched due to inadequate packaging, and people who complained about that are now getting third copies shipped in safer packaging. The replacement discs don't have the encoding problems of the originals.

I don't think many companies are willing to seriously honk off their customers in this economy.

Re: outgrowing anime... I did outgrow anime several years ago. In my mid-20s I had to be "an adult," and mostly put aside anime and cartoons and such. Now that I'm in my mid-30s and have a bit more perspective about what "adulthood" is, watching Card Captor Sakura for the 3rd time is just fine.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
My favorite part is how the guy says "I know you're a liberal communist", right after condemning you for advising people to spend their money and support the capitalist corporations.

dude totally knows what he's talking about.

That all depends on two points: (1) You subscribe to the theory that corporations are running the government, and thus supporting the corporations is supporting the government. Leaving you with a pseudo-socialized entertainment medium. (2) More simply, you are spending the money not to purchase a product, but for the common welfare. In this case maintaining the anime industry.

So technically it does work, even without letting the practical considerations of how much capitalism tends to leak into the actual implementations of communist states much play.

Quote:
And believe it or not, you can often still enjoy something even if it isn't being streamed to your massive flat-screen television in 1080p with surround sound and assorted whiz-bang technofoolery.

Treason! Heresy! Come now Brian, is thinking like this the real reason The Click died? Twisted Evil

Last edited by bglassbrook on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well here's my lone thought about this week's Flake:

Obvious troll is obvious :/
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
The question was simply, why do they go after those particular types of shows that people like Brian, and Zac seem to dread so much each new season.

"Those" shows to the emailer are "Top tier" shows to other people.

Questions based on opinion are pointless.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, just to echo the defense of Crunchyroll and to add one more thing, the fact that they get such a significant percentage of titles in a given season along with some other quality titles has, it seems, indeed been helping their traffic as we recently learned. I think it's also important to remember that they and streaming are still young; in January 2011 that'll be two solid years of legal streaming going on in a big way. I mean, yeah, a "big" show like Star Driver they seem to have trouble getting, and for whatever reason some fantastic titles like Kimi ni Todoke have fallen through the cracks. But what matters right now more than anything is success and growth, to prove to the corporate overlords in Japan that (a) streaming is worth doing and (b) Crunchyroll is worth doing business with.

Also, hey. They've had Naruto. They got Bleach. They have Gundam back on the service now. They got the cool-looking Time Jam. Skip Beat still hasn't been licensed but has been available there for a long time. Etc. They make the effort to have something for everyone, which is why I went from an interested user to a proud subscriber some time ago.
gingi789

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
I don't know what the problem with Crunchyroll's selection of shows was. They had more than Anime Network and Funimation.....my only question is who's going to distribute the shows the licensed? I liked a few last season (Occult Academy, Asobi ni Ikuyo, etc), and I know that Crunchyroll isn't a distributor, so who gets to release those on DVD?

I haven't noticed a big drop in quality in the DVD transfers....which series are these happening with? (i got a copy of the Toradora DVD's and they work fine). Is it the Funimation thinpack releases?
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
^^
On an ANNCast a while ago, Justin and Zac noted that no shows that streamed on Crunchyroll were getting picked up for DVD distribution, and described them as 'damaged goods'.

That has officially changed. Blassreiter, Tower of Druaga, and Strike Witches all originally premiered on Crunchyroll before FUNi picked them up, as well as Sora no Otoshimono. In addition, Ginatama has fianlly been picked up by neo-ADV and SoRaNoWoTo by Nozomi.

So if a show has an audience, and the Japanese don't ask too much money for it, there's a good chance it'll get licensed for DVD. Of course, if the DVD distributors think a show is going to do well ahead of time, they'll try to license it first and simulcast it themselves.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
RedTail wrote:

Well, the last "seriously botched release" I got was the Toradora/Persona stuff from NIS America. The "angry rants" got a repressing of the discs, and free replacements delivered to anyone who asked. And some of those arrived scratched due to inadequate packaging, and people who complained about that are now getting third copies shipped in safer packaging. The replacement discs don't have the encoding problems of the originals.

I don't think many companies are willing to seriously honk off their customers in this economy.

Re: outgrowing anime... I did outgrow anime several years ago. In my mid-20s I had to be "an adult," and mostly put aside anime and cartoons and such. Now that I'm in my mid-30s and have a bit more perspective about what "adulthood" is, watching Card Captor Sakura for the 3rd time is just fine.

Those were basically glitched discs though. When you're talking about crap like removing entire scenes and replacing 'em with stills, removing music, dubtitles, terrible dubs, missing japanese language tracks, or if the masters they got were just THAT bad, that's an entirely different matter... Those are all things that aren't just simple authoring issues and would take a lot more time and money to correct. To make matters worse, companies often times try to hide these things until after the release date. Bandai is probably the worst offender of them all...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Probably one of those "tea party" nut-bars. Laughing
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
However I resent that dig at Reborn!, Brian. :/

[Lots of text, don't want to clog up page sorry.]

Haha, Reborn! is the only long running shounen series I regularly follow & is my all-time favourite manga so I'm just a biased fangirl. Wink
But honestly no matter how undeniably great One Piece is, no aesthetically minded person like myself (i.e a self-confessed bishie lover/fujoshi Razz KIRABOSHI!) could possibly compare the two side by side & say that One Piece is more appealing, based on the art alone.

If you're not gonna buy the official releases due to them being 'crappy', that's fine, but only if you actually tell them that's the reason. Otherwise the companies aren't gonna know why they failed and what they can do to improve for next time.
However I can see where the gungho 'I'm gonna buy it anyway because I love it so damn much' attitude can easily win out, as I still own all the crappy Viz volumes of Reborn! ...because I love it so damn much. xDD

poonk wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
actually for ages until I saw an actual picture of you I always had this image in my head of Zac/Answerman = Howl Anime hyper First impressions stick I guess Laughing
I thought the very same thing. Probably the same reason why, for example, my exposure to dubs being what it is Vic Mignona is Full Metal Panic's Kurtz and that's all there is to it. It's as if my mind needs to refer to some sort of visualization so I default to people's icons (or other regularly associated images) even if I know it's illogical. Probably pretty common, I'd wager.

Funny, I saw FMP! (and some other shows he was in) before FMA (original anime) but for some reason Vic has always been Edward to me, even though I wasn't a diehard FMA fan & had a only seen the first 25 or so eps. Laughing
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The flake HAS to be a high school student, because only a high school student would call someone who wants to pay for a product a "liberal communist" ??? So if you are, say, a conservative capitalist, you don't want to pay for anything besides James Cameron's Avatar!? Why don't you just get a free copy of Avatar, too, while you're busy getting anime scans and rips?

I wish Flakes actually realized that we talk about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5