• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maria Holic TV Anime Gets 2nd Season Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
See, the thing about parody series is that they take the concepts that other series use, and then exaggerate them to ridiculous extremes. Kanako is supposed to be unrealistic and not a representative of actual lesbians. Is the portrayal of female/female relationships in all those other Catholic-girls'-school-with-elaborate-pairing-systems fine because they don't overtly insult lesbians?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sora N wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Sora N wrote:
... I was offended the way they mocked lesbians and yuri fans.

Lesbian. Singular. There was one lesbian character in the first season (haven't read the manga, so I'm being cautious with my statement), and Kanako is a pervert first and a lesbian somewhere further down the line of her character traits.

No, I meant it as lesbians – by mocking real-life lesbians (not the lesbian character.)

Conversely, I'd play it as mocking the church; not just poor Kanako's abuse, either. The entire show revolves around this trio of characters getting caught up in bad/lewd/perverted/blasphemous/abusive/thelistgoeson antics in the midst of a Catholic school, right under the Good Lord's (supposedly) watchful eye.

But I don't choose to read that much into it, anyway. As Dorcas said, it's a parody show. The humor is to be found in the situations themselves, and trying to frame them with too much context--beyond the trope being parodied, that is--isn't really fair I think.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Conversely, I'd play it as mocking the church; not just poor Kanako's abuse, either. The entire show revolves around this trio of characters getting caught up in bad/lewd/perverted/blasphemous/abusive/thelistgoeson antics in the midst of a Catholic school, right under the Good Lord's (supposedly) watchful eye.

Actually, I've found the show demonstrates a better understanding of Catholic teachings than most Christians have. While Kanako's interpretations are as wrong as can possibly be, Mariya at least knows the correct procedure, even if she doesn't follow the beliefs as she should. And you'd be amazed at how many people don't understand that a rosary is never to be worn as a necklace. The only religious aspect of the show that leaves me anxious is the dorm mother being referred to as god.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
In an oblique way, that's what I meant. The mockery is derived from the fact that their antics occur in the Catholic school setting; if its depiction is accurate, than all the better for the comedy (I would have almost zero ability to discern said accuracy, personally).

I meant to bring up the dorm manager as another example of the kind of behaviour I was talking about; again though, reading too much into it is beside the point anyway in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3