• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Canaan DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Well while Ishu isn't quite a main role, she's definitely a big supporting character, so I wouldn't call it minor.

Actually Ishu the Bayonetta-like captian of the ship is voiced by Shelly Calene Black not Jessica Boone. Boone voices the little boy.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, got some wires crossed. Was thinking of Canaan's VA.
Chobittsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So, what are the chances that sentai will fix the subtitle problem in the dvd version? Do you think they will?
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
It appears the Blu-Ray is 1080i...not 1080p as described on the packaging. Sentai should stop putting out 1080i Blu-Rays and advertising them as 1080p if this is the case! Looks like my Canaan Blu-Ray will arrive on Thursday and I'll confirm it then. Still a better price than the DVD version at least.

http://teramiya.blog14.fc2.com/blog-entry-88.html
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
I agree that they really do need to be more careful so that people know what they are buying on the disc since I think this is the second time (?) with a mislabel.

Still, IMO the video is rather gorgeous not to mention the striking colors even with some slight flaws. Sooooo glad we got a BD version (and a new dub ofcourse) of this like I had been hoping for after seeing how it looked from some of the fansubs and like the review said this show is utterly gorgeously animated.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
It's 1080i same as the Japanese BD. They should fix their labeling, but the 1080i isn't their fault. Canaan is one of a bunch of shows that aren't very high resolution HD produced at 720i (Yes, 1280 x 720 interlaced). Others include Spice and Wolf S1, True Tears, Chu-bra!!, and White Album. For more info see this thread on AOD. Basically, you get more than DVD level of detail, but not by a huge amount.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
FYI:

The review has now been updated to include details on the Blu-Ray release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I remember watching this in Japanese and not getting into it, but the dub completely changes this. Ya'll have potentially spoiled the ending for me*, making it sound as if there will be a cheesy Claymore-esque ending, but if only for the dub alone, I'm riding it to the end.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the ridiculous & hilarious impassioned speech that the President of the USA gave in the show, where they turned him into Vash the Stampede. "LOVE AND PEACE!"

Quote:
Newcomer Lesley Pedersen takes a distinctly different approach to Alphard than seiyuu Maaya Sakamoto, but otherwise casting choices are good matches for the originals, especially Hilary Haag as Maria and Shelley Calene-Black in the title role.
Is it just me, or does Lesley Pedersen sound uncannily like a certain protege of Stephen Foster who moved to LA to further her acting career a while back? Does anyone else hear this resemblance?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the ridiculous & hilarious impassioned speech that the President of the USA gave in the show, where they turned him into Vash the Stampede. "LOVE AND PEACE!"

It made me feel sort of melancholy. What he said *is* in keeping with what the USA *should* stand for, so it's sort of sad to see how ridiculous, if not outright amusing, it is to have the President say what he said. It's a better portrayal of the US (politically speaking) than is usually seen in anime, IMO.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I know Excel Saga's words of wisdom to anime creators was that in order to be successful, a show had to embody "love and peace", but this is a bit too much. If they had to go that route, they could have done it in a more subdued manner, like the President in Gasaraki. Vash the Stampede's catchphrase lacks gravitas; there's no way it won't be hilariously out of place if used by someone of position like the POTUS.

Though I'm a bit confused as to the basis of the speech. Was he implying that terrorism no longer needed to be feared as it would be ended forcibly? If not, then his speech was just hot air. If he was heralding in a forced end to terrorism, then I could countenance that. The President can spout off whimsical nonsense like Vash the Stampede all he wants, provided he still puts foot to ass like Wolfwood. Wink

(Though in terms of politics, the US calling China a valued friend was bogus, too bogus to even be used to pay "lip service" imo. Maybe if a "valued friend" is someone you'd never trust to stand behind you.)

I'm almost afraid to rewatch that bit in Japanese. Referring back to Gasaraki it has the potential to be hilarious like the Engrish imployed by the seiyuu for Kelly Manison's character during the airport scene...but I just remember how much I hated the sub version. BTW, does anyone else even remember Gasaraki?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So I finally finished Canaan, and I have to say I'm a bit surprised. The show was far better than I thought it would be, though it fell far short of greatness.

The plot and character development weren't completely circular (like, say, Uchuu no Stellvia), but they were close to being so.

At least people truly died. I was fearing a Freezing/Mai-HiME "device" where people would be killed, yet somehow magically return to life. Few things kill a show like removing the sense of loss. (Okay, that did happen once in Canaan, but still, people died.)

Was it just me, or did Canaan have way too many quasi-yuri soliloquies delivered as an aside by either Canaan or Maria about their intricate & intimate friendship? Added together, they might even fill the length of a whole episode. To quote the immortal Excel Saga, "This show is a couple lilies short of a full-blown shojou!". Sometimes I thought I put the Blue Drop dvd in by mistake Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3