• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Fullmetal Alchemist for Teletoon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Man who the hell runs their marketing department?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
According to Teletoon's corporate site:

Marketing & Promotions

Leslie Krueger, Director, Marketing & Promotions
Telephone: 416-956-2060
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
She is pretty dence not to see how big FMA is. Makes me glad I live in the U.S. and can watch my FMA of TV. I feal really sorry for you guys in Canada. All I have to say is your TV stations can't make a smart marketing move.
Carja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
The French dub for Fullmetal Alchemist is currently airing on Canal+ in France. Teletoon could get it if they wanted it.

No doubt a French dub exists. The question is, does the owner of the French license want to deal? I seem to recall there being some problems on that score with other series. Sailor Moon was being aired on TVA in Quebec, then all of a sudden it was pulled and I heard it was the owner of the French license that was being restrictive.

The same kind of problems were supposedly keeping Goldorak (the French dub of Grendizer) from being re-aired or released on DVD, despite the relatively large clamor for it in Quebec. (I'd heard that part of the problem was resolved and that a DVD set was in the making, but I've yet to see it.)

It doesn't make sense to me that the owner of the French license wouldn't want to sell it to stations that are interested, so maybe it was all rumour and no fact, but if it's true, it could make things difficult for them if they need to have be able to obtain the airing rights to both dubs of shows they air for shows they want to air in English.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
When did Sailor Moon get pulled? If it was recently, it was probably for the same reason the license got pulled everywhere.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that availability of French rights isn't going to change Teletoon's mind on this. They're just an incredibly biased station. It's as simple as that. The support and subsidization they get, regardless of their popularity and reception, makes them the television equivalent of a spoiled child.

Besides, YTV is available in more homes than Teletoon will ever be, anyway. It's just a matter of making sure they pick FMA up.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
My sympathies to all Canadian anime fans who don't have BT and were looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Canadians can still buy it in stores; there's no need to illegally download a licensed show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Of course, without a television broadcast to support it, stores will be less inclined to stock the title, and sales will dwindle more making the title a less attractive property to most retailers.

Not that I'm trying to encourage piracy, of course, but this will ultimately lead to more and more people obtaining the show through unsavoury means.
Loain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Our programming department knows about Fullmetal Alchemist, and has decided that this title does not fulfill our brand requirements or the interest of the majority of our viewers.

What viewers?

Maybe it's just me but the last time I've tuned into teletoon, aside from the occasional Futurama episode was a year and a half ago and that was for Cardcaptor Sakura (which was truly an abomination, translation wise).

The only time before that was for Cyber6 and the 3 maybe 4 anime movies (at 2am) I was fortunate enough to catch before they cancelled that.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Of course, without a television broadcast to support it, stores will be less inclined to stock the title, and sales will dwindle more making the title a less attractive property to most retailers.

You'd think it being the most popular anime in the history of the channel block it's on in the US, that it would at least encourage Teletoon to try it. Guess that's not the case. Sad
thebaron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:

Inuyasha is doing really well for YTV though, but I think most people gave up on Witch Hunter Robin - too heavy.

That makes me went to cry for the sake of humanity....as it is so sad that people can't take complex anime....
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Don't jump to conclusions. Like I said before, WHR did a lot better up here than it did in the States. I think it gained somewhat of a cult following.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3