• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Although I do think Madoka was the best series of the year, I agree with you that it is not NEARLY as deep as a lot of people make it out to be.

Anyone else ever notice that the people complaining about Madoka are the ones who go on the most about how "deep" it is or isn't?
Wesson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I knew I shouldn’t have looked at this.

Okay. I feel I should come to the defense of Sword Art Online a little bit. Let’s be mature about this (I know, a tall order for a lot of people here).

Simply put, the first thirteen episodes were gold; any intelligent person can tell you this. The whole trapped-in-a-video-game premise - although not groundbreaking - was very well executed. There was just the right amount of fear and hope to animate the characters. I haven’t seen such a good balance between happiness and tragedy since Angel Beats!. It also never got bogged down with throw-away episodes or beach scenes. Nor did it overload you with techno-babble, something that has unfairly elevated Bodacious Space Pirates to high status on this website.

Kirito and Asuna should have been couple of the year, hands down. They were perfect equals, something you usually don’t see in romantic pairings these days, neither one was dominant and neither one was submissive. I can think of few other anime couples that were just as much friends as they were lovers as Kirito and Asuna.

That being said, yes, the writing staff suffered a stroke during the fourteenth episode. The way it was going before that, it could have conquered the world, but the entire second arc was barely worth the time viewing it. I also found the series’ K-On style of artwork very silly.

Going off topic a little bit, I don’t know who is more immature: the people who watch nothing but fan-service or the people who will not stop complaining about it! Was it necessary to create a whole category for the whole brother-sister thing? I guess this will be the new witch hunt now that the evils of panty flashing have been properly thrashed.

We were lucky to have SOA, even if its career was cut painfully short by a second season that was one big Joe Biden-worthy gaff.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, i like what i read, also nice picks from Theron Martin, im sure Alot people will say Sword art online 2012 series of year, it was good series but not the Best, well to me, what i enjoy so much this year well, My top 5 anime of the year would be

1. Kokoro Connect.... series of the year, oh i can't wait for sentai to released this on blu-ray.
2. Horizon Middle of Nowhere 2
3. Kids on the Slope
4. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
5. Mysterious Girlfriend X

There was alot good series i like watching this year,better than last year ^^, hoping 2013 will be even better
red255

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
PMMM = anime of the year, all years?

you know its 2012 you were doing, not 2011 right?

Madoka airing during that BIG earthquake in case you forgot.

but seriously lolANN. you guys r idiots.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Although I do think Madoka was the best series of the year, I agree with you that it is not NEARLY as deep as a lot of people make it out to be.

Anyone else ever notice that the people complaining about Madoka are the ones who go on the most about how "deep" it is or isn't?

The people who go on the most about how "deep" it is are the people who have written textbook sized blog posts analyzing every single scene for little messages and metaphysical explanations of the meaning of life and the entire universe. I just thought it was an outstanding anime show.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Eh, maybe I'd agree with Mami's death being death of the year if it was better executed. In exchange for the shock value it makes Mami look like a total idiot when she's supposed to be the experienced veteran. I know some one is going to come in and say "That scene was in slow motion! She didn't have time to react!" but it really wasn't. Otherwise her gasp would have also been in slow motion too. Either way she did react but still stood there like a moron rather than dodging or something.

Yuuko's is definitely far more deserving.

Supposedly, Mami's happiness at Madoka joining her as a friend, threw Mami off her game. She was so busy being happy, she forget for a moment that battles with witches were life and death things. Or she was too busy showing off to her new friend she forgot the stakes involved to a degree.

When I saw it I thought the same thing that maybe Mami got a little cocky and was showing off. Then she was surprised or shocked which just made her hesitate too long...

I would also say, yes it was executed for shock but also as a hook and that worked at least for me. From that point on I wanted to watch more.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
red255 wrote:

Not nearly as big of ones as you apparently. In case you missed it, which you apparently did, the article is "Anime in America", and I do believe it mentions how stuff that was released here in some legal form or another was eligible. PMMM was released here on DVD/BD in 2012.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
red255 wrote:

To qualify for this article the show had to have recieved an American release during the year, which Madoka got.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wesson wrote:

Okay. I feel I should come to the defense of Sword Art Online a little bit. Let’s be mature about this (I know, a tall order for a lot of people here).

Off to a raring start here.

Quote:
Simply put, the first thirteen episodes were gold; any intelligent person can tell you this

The first 8 or so are pretty decent, at least.

Quote:
I haven’t seen such a good balance between happiness and tragedy since Angel Beats!.

Pfffffffffft. Please, tell another one. Go on!

Quote:
Nor did it overload you with techno-babble, something that has unfairly elevated Bodacious Space Pirates to high status on this website.

Mouretsu Pirates actually has well developed characters and a consistent, believable world, so yeah, I can see how its different from SAO.

Quote:
Kirito and Asuna should have been couple of the year, hands down. They were perfect equals, something you usually don’t see in romantic pairings these days, neither one was dominant and neither one was submissive.

Call me when Kirito gets stripped naked and fondled by the villain of an arc.

Quote:
I can think of few other anime couples that were just as much friends as they were lovers as Kirito and Asuna.

Only because of limited sample size.

Quote:
I also found the series’ K-On style of artwork very silly.

Wait what? How is this?

Quote:
Going off topic a little bit, I don’t know who is more immature: the people who watch nothing but fan-service or the people who will not stop complaining about it! Was it necessary to create a whole category for the whole brother-sister thing? I guess this will be the new witch hunt now that the evils of panty flashing have been properly thrashed.

....?

Quote:
We were lucky to have SOA, even if its career was cut painfully short by a second season that was one big Joe Biden-worthy gaff.

And bonus asinine political reference.

Meh, you started good, petered out towards the end. 3/10, try again next time.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

I feel a little out of touch, since I didn't watch any of the shows mentioned, and haven't even heard of a lot of them.

No Fujiko Mine mention? "Most Gratuitous Opening Sequence" perhaps? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

The title of the article is Anime in America.

It shouldn't have to be explained that Madoka Magica didn't even stream legally in 2011, and that the scope of the article is perfectly obvious. It was released here in 2012. One of the biggest releases of the year, in fact, if not the biggest.

But I suppose if it makes you feel superior or cutting edge you can just ignore all that and go 'lol idiots!!'.

Not sure what's been in the water lately but some of you are real cranky and mean-spirited this time of year. Must be the weather.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Not nearly as big of ones as you apparently. In case you missed it, which you apparently did, the article is "Anime in America", and I do believe it mentions how stuff that was released here in some legal form or another was eligible. PMMM was released here on DVD/BD in 2012.

Good thing the DOOKS recap films are also 2012, so we cannot have "Madoka is best anime 2013".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

The people who go on the most about how "deep" it is are the people who have written textbook sized blog posts analyzing every single scene for little messages and metaphysical explanations of the meaning of life and the entire universe. I just thought it was an outstanding anime show.

Ok...?

Do you have these blog posts at hand, or are they just ones you can conveniently bring up to make your point, without having to actually present as evidence?

I'm more than willing to admit that some Madoka fans are dipshits, but that goes for any fanbase.

So if you thought it was great, why do you feel the need to bring up other fans who found it "deep"? Whats the point in that?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Personally "released in the US in 2012" is an utterly meaningless datapoint and leads to such idiocy as "eyepatch moe is a new trend" featuring a character from a show that aired in 2007
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So if you thought it was great, why do you feel the need to bring up other fans who found it "deep"? Whats the point in that?

I was just commenting on the other poster's comment. He seemed to be saying Madoka was "ok" and not as deep as people make it out to be. I was putting in my opinion that it was more than "ok." It was outstanding, but he is right that a lot of people make it out to be super deep when I don't think it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15