• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Senran Kagura TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I hate fanservice-y shows like these and even Im sick of people giving Funi crap over them, and yet Sentai always gets a free pass for it's harem or fanservice shows they're always picking up? Who licensed the latest Queens Blade again?

Either blame japan for making crap like this or your fellow fans for buying it, because they're why every anime company licenses stuff like this.

There's nothing wrong with licensing ecchi series like Senran Kagura or Queen's Blade. But when your catalog consists mostly of this type of series, people will complain. Sentai definitely has the widest range of acquisitions in terms of genres, hands down. Because they're the ones who got Queen's Blade and Seikon no Qwaser doesn't mean they license just that kind of anime. The same can be said about Funimation obviously, but it's up to anyone to check their catalog and make their own judgement. And mine's made.

And this is why most of my collection now consists of Sentai Filmworks DVDs....

I tried looking at some of the stuff Funi licenses, I really do....but most of it is just....blah. While I enjoyed more stuff from Sentai, since they give me more choices. I think the only thing I've bought from Funi recently that I liked was A Certain Magical Index, nothing much else.... while the shows I'm currently watching from Sentai, I am actually enjoying.... for example, even though the name is a tad weird, Bodacious Space Pirates is actually more entertaining for me than my pickup of Aria of the Scarlet Ammo from Funimation.

But whatever, I don't care about Funimation anymore. If they pick up something interesting I might like, I'll get it....but for now, my money keeps going to Sentai. Oh and NIS America, too.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I never give Sentai a free pass. I think the majority of its catalogue is a complete joke and when they license something too fanservice-filled, I wretch loudly for all to hear.

oh, so that explains that weird noise i heard the day sentai announced they had Qwaser. Wink
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Is there an easy, streamlined way to keep track of all that Funimation has licensed and released within the past few years (as the Encyclopedia organizes them by title, not release date)? Not merely license-rescues of older stuff, but licenses of actually current stuff (though there is still one rescue attempt left that they REALLY need to pursue-- and that's Paranoia Agent). I definitely get the feeling that Funimation hasn't been exploring as many genres as Sentai as of late, nor does it feel like they have any titles that can stand proudly besides FMA Brotherhood, Summer Wars, and the Evangelion films (but even then, 2/3 of these are iterations of already well-established franchises, and FMAB got to a shoddy start). Which really stinks, as I love Funimation's actors.

I've probably spent more on anime releases these past couple years than any other time in my life, and the only Funi stuff I've gotten have been the Evangelion movies & Summer Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Oi there, FUNimation.
As much as I would love Senran Kagura's streaming in North America especially as it could lead to a larger audience for the original game series. I'm still more in favour of School Days... >_>
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
for example, even though the name is a tad weird, Bodacious Space Pirates is actually more entertaining for me than my pickup of Aria of the Scarlet Ammo from Funimation.

Thats because Mouretsu Pirates is, you know, good, and Hidan no Aria...isn't.

And if Sentai had licensed Aria and Funi Mouretsu, this would still hold. So I don't think this demonstrates any particular point.

Other than Sentai releases not always having dubs, Sentai and Funi are functionally equivalent, so who cares which gets what?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
for example, even though the name is a tad weird, Bodacious Space Pirates is actually more entertaining for me than my pickup of Aria of the Scarlet Ammo from Funimation.

Thats because Mouretsu Pirates is, you know, good, and Hidan no Aria...isn't.

And if Sentai had licensed Aria and Funi Mouretsu, this would still hold. So I don't think this demonstrates any particular point.

Other than Sentai releases not always having dubs, Sentai and Funi are functionally equivalent, so who cares which gets what?

But that's the thing, Funi didn't get it when they could have if they wanted to. But they either wanted to be cheap and not put out the money for it, so they settled for something cheaper in less in quality or they just passed it up completely. It happens alot in Funi's case and that's the difference between Sentai and Funimation.

Funimation thinks that anything that doesn't have boobs or panty shots doesn't sell. It's the simple truth. Even their shounen lists have these kinds of things in it, though they may not focus on them, they do have it. How about we get an action series that doesn't have girl's breasts flying in one's face every once in a while? I'm a girl, I don't want to see that.

How about even an anime with a strong female lead that doesn't have to be revealing? Oh they did have that....Story of Saiunkoku...but it didn't "sell well enough" for the dub. So why not just put it out subbed, Funi? ....This is why, IMO, Sentai is better. If it doesn't sell well dubbed, slap subtitles on it and call it a day.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon, Jourmungand
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I think most of us aren't as harsh to Sentai is because we are used to their ways. As for people getting upset at Funimation, I think it's more of the fact that they picked up some of our favourites like the Evangelion movies, One Piece, Summer Wars, and both Fullmetal Alchemist series.

In a business where it's hard to make a profit, you have to play defensively. Long story short: sex sells. Deal with it!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Funimation thinks that anything that doesn't have boobs or panty shots doesn't sell. It's the simple truth.

Right, because Serial Experiments Lain, Steins;Gate, and Haibane Renmei have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fanservice in them. Rolling Eyes
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
I think most of us aren't as harsh to Sentai is because we are used to their ways. As for people getting upset at Funimation, I think it's more of the fact that they picked up some of our favourites like the Evangelion movies, One Piece, Summer Wars, and both Fullmetal Alchemist series.

In a business where it's hard to make a profit, you have to play defensively. Long story short: sex sells. Deal with it!
I think that Sentai's habit of licensing damn near everything under the sun also plays in their favor since they end up with a smaller portion of shows focused around boobs. It also helps that they tend to get the licenses well before the show airs, so the enigmatic nature of some of their pickups helps defuse criticism as well.

Of course, that all goes out the window when they reach back to license something like Qwaser of Stigmata.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Funimation thinks that anything that doesn't have boobs or panty shots doesn't sell. It's the simple truth.

Right, because Serial Experiments Lain, Steins;Gate, and Haibane Renmei have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fanservice in them. Rolling Eyes

Nobody is saying they're ONLY licensing boob shows. It's a matter of how many Senran Kagura's do they need to license before reaching out for the next Stein;s Gate.

And let me remind you it took a US company to go under for them to give two of those shows you mentioned a chance... Not much risk involved there, honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
only one out of the six shows they licensed for simulcasting in the fall contains the fan-service people hate. Senran Kagura is only 1 of several shows they are simulcasting for the winter. they've got more announcements starting on Monday so its far too early to be bitching about funimation only licensing boob shows and nothing else
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

But that's the thing, Funi didn't get it when they could have if they wanted to. But they either wanted to be cheap and not put out the money for it, so they settled for something cheaper in less in quality or they just passed it up completely. It happens alot in Funi's case and that's the difference between Sentai and Funimation.

Funimation thinks that anything that doesn't have boobs or panty shots doesn't sell. It's the simple truth. Even their shounen lists have these kinds of things in it, though they may not focus on them, they do have it. How about we get an action series that doesn't have girl's breasts flying in one's face every once in a while? I'm a girl, I don't want to see that.

How about even an anime with a strong female lead that doesn't have to be revealing? Oh they did have that....Story of Saiunkoku...but it didn't "sell well enough" for the dub. So why not just put it out subbed, Funi? ....This is why, IMO, Sentai is better. If it doesn't sell well dubbed, slap subtitles on it and call it a day.

Sure Sentai might get a few good titles (not saying much when Zombie ADV releases a ton of but what happens when they get the good titles and then their bad dubbing ruins the title in english? When I get a funimation title I know that when I hit the english dub I am not going to get the comedic stylings of Steven Foster.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo

Casshern Sins
Eureka Seven AO
Eden of the East
Fractale
Initial D
Level E
Mushishi
Princess Jellyfish
Robitics:Notes[?]
Steins Gate[?]
Summer Wars
Wolf Children

Please don't just cherry pick your arguments? Just a quick browse through Funi's catalog gave me those title which have little/no fanservice in them, especially gems like Eden, Summer Wars, Jellyfish... there was almost NO REASON to license initial D even since that ship has sailed, yet they got the whole dang package. Yes believe it or not not only does Funi licence anime with little sex appeal, but it also gets big titles that people want?

And guess what? Sentai does too! It licenses Penguindrum and Persona 4 and Grave of the Fireflies. It also licenses Highschool of the Dead, Queen's Blade, So, I Can't Play H!, some of which are more blatantly fanservicy that most of Funi's catalog. And you can say Funi passes up on a lot of stuff, but turn that around. Sentai could have licensed Index, Princess Jellyfish, [Insert any non-DBZ anime here], but they didn't and got lower quality shows. Every company, besides maby Aniplex? has low quality shows, so comparing something good like Space Pirates to something bad like Aria isn't... even a comparison.

I'm totally fine with you not liking Funi/their titles or whatever but thats kinda what I mean about people giving them crap for the same thing everyone else does...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
All the companies license fan service titles. I think it's just more noticeable to people because they license far fewer shows than Sentai and release far fewer actual new titles most months. When you only release three new titles in a month, and one of them is a fan service title, it's a bit more noticeable.

Always remember that quality is on the eye of the beholder and a title you think is quality could be garbage to someone else.

As for what gets licensed and by who, it usually just comes down to money. Whoever offers the best deal will get the title. Some companies have better relationships with some of the Japanese rights holders, and that's the reason why you are more likely to see TBS titles going to Sentai for instance, and why most Kadokowa titles went to Funi for a long time.

Personally, I like Sentai because they won't pass on a title just because they think it won't sell enough to support a dub. Funi would have never released Shigofumi or Living For The Day After Tomorrow for instance. I also prefer their dubbing as Funi is terrible at casting and ruined far too many dubs that I was looking forward too. Sentai titles also, in most cases, run on Anime Network, so i can watch them online or on TV. i cant do that with most Funi titles, as I dont have heir channel.

I have to admit that my heart sinks a bit when I see they've licensed something I wanted, but at least I always have the option of choosing the Japanese audio track. But in these days, it's just good to see something I want get picked up. Back in the dark days after ADV collapsed, that didn't happen very often.

Arguing over who is the better distributor is just pointless, as everybody has their own tastes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4