• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Target to Phase out Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I read somewhere that the reason video stores have entire sections of anime is that while there's still fewer buyers for anime than for more general mainstream films, anime fans tend to be completists. Lots of customers for general movie fare are casual buyers; If I want a particular Will Ferrell movie it doesn't follow that I gotta buy all his movies. But someone who's gonna buy a gundam DVD is probably gonna want the whole series, then the next series, and so on, so a handful of hardcore anime fans can provide as much revenue as a hundred casual customers.

I'd agree with that assessment. After all, I'm certainly not one to buy vol 1, 3, and 6 of an anime series. I'll be much more likely to shop at a store that has it all since it's more likely that the volume I want will be available for me to buy. Target lacked the vision in this department however, and I'm sure it played a role in it not selling as well as they would have liked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3