• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Coffee Samurai, Hoshizora Kiseki, Allison & Lillia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Hoshizora Kiseki looks kind of nice. Has anyone here seen it?

It's actually not that good. It's quite pretty for a web ONA of its time, but as a one-shot it's nowhere near outstanding when comparing it to something like Kowarekake no Orgel. As people have said, if they wanted something astronomy related, pick up Sora no Manimani even though that show was also really average in the end. The thought of a very poor translation of the title to Coffee Samurai only makes me facepalm at the possibility of a butchered sub or one where no effort to even QC/TLC is involved for a simple one-shot.

Really glad to see Allison and Lillia picked up though. It truly was a gem this past decade that many overlooked for its slow pacing.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
BOYCOTT!! unless the shows get dubbed. Cheap company -.-'

Forget that- I've been wanting Allison and Lillia since it got announced. I'll happily give some cash to anyone who can bring me a DVD with a translation on it. Laughing I have a pre-order list to adjust...
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
BOYCOTT!! unless the shows get dubbed. Cheap company -.-'

Because boycotting the company will make them jump on dubbing every anime they license for your sake. Rolling Eyes

Keep the anime shows coming, Section23! You got my support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Hoshizora Kiseki looks kind of nice. Has anyone here seen it?

It's actually not that good. It's quite pretty for a web ONA of its time, but as a one-shot it's nowhere near outstanding when comparing it to something like Kowarekake no Orgel. As people have said, if they wanted something astronomy related, pick up Sora no Manimani even though that show was also really average in the end. The thought of a very poor translation of the title to Coffee Samurai only makes me facepalm at the possibility of a butchered sub or one where no effort to even QC/TLC is involved for a simple one-shot.

Really glad to see Allison and Lillia picked up though. It truly was a gem this past decade that many overlooked for its slow pacing.

Ahem! Try to read the other comments before posting. Coffee Samurai is not the translated title. Its the name of the second ONA on the disc.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've only encountered a couple people who've actually seen Hoshizora Kiseki and none of them said it was all that good.

As for Allison & Lillia, it wasn't actually on my license wishlist. I might pick it up if it gets cheap. Still, I'm glad to see them: A) Continuing to pick up forgotten titles from that 2008 dead zone. B) Picking up something that isn't the usual ecchi/harem crap.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Hope Section23 picks up other somewhat older titles that have been passed over. Still waiting on that Library War license!

Wait, 2008 is "relatively older" now? Please. Was Glass Mask 2005 considered ancient when it was licensed then? Anyway, let's see some more licenses from Sentai that go even more "relatively older"... Like, oh, the first half of the 2000s maybe. There's still plenty of titles from that time that still should be licensed. Stuff like Gaiking (2005), Akagi, GaoGaiGar FINAL, Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Ring ni Kakero 1, Kanon 2002 (I'm sure there are people who would buy it), Twin Spica, the Mazinkaiser movie, and many many more.

Two '05 titles I'm praying and crossing my fingers for and hoping for a dub as well are: Akihori Gendou Hour Rabuge(which would probably be translated as "Super Love Phermone/Gendou Good Witch Sister Super Sentai Show" and Tonagura.

As for 2008 subs, come on Hyakko(the license is super cheap) and Kemeko DX!!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as everyone else is doing it . . .

*cough* Dennou Coil *cough*
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Allison and Lillia is right up there among my favourite shows of all time, so even though I'm very disappointed that it's sub-only, I will get the set...Hoping that ADV eventually does dub it and offer a replacement plan. =P

Kudos for calling Section23 "ADV" because they're still the same company!

Anyway, I doubt these ONA's will get a dub soon. The titles are just too niche, but there's nothing wrong with hope.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Well, as long as everyone else is doing it . . .

*cough* Dennou Coil *cough*
What the hell, I'll take another shot in the dark "Sumomomo Momomo".
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Hope Section23 picks up other somewhat older titles that have been passed over. Still waiting on that Library War license!

Wait, 2008 is "relatively older" now? Please. Was Glass Mask 2005 considered ancient when it was licensed then? Anyway, let's see some more licenses from Sentai that go even more "relatively older"...

Are you just looking to pick a fight on the Internet or something? Rolling Eyes I didn't say "relatively older" I said "somewhat older" which is exactly what I believe shows from three years ago are in an industry that is currently making a trend of licensing shows while they're airing in Japan. And I specifically said "older" not "old", there's a big difference.

Yeesh.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch Allison and Lilla, but I'll just sit back and hope it sells well enough for them to dub it so I can own it that is if the first few episodes I watch interests me enough to buy it.

As for the other two Hoshizora and Coffee Samurai since its a cheap bundle I'll buy it subtitled even though when it comes to me physically owning a DVD I prefer it dubbed.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Anyway, let's see some more licenses from Sentai that go even more "relatively older"... Like, oh, the first half of the 2000s maybe. There's still plenty of titles from that time that still should be licensed. Stuff like Gaiking (2005)

With hopefully better subtitles if the Toei subs on Hulu has any mistakes on them.

Quote:
GaoGaiGar FINAL

Agreed since i'd like a reason to buy the first series.

Quote:
Kanon 2002 (I'm sure there are people who would buy it)

I sure would along with Kanon 2006 and the rest of the licensed Key titles.
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
(Forgive the necroing; feel free to smack me if I shouldn't have... Anime smile;; )

Just watched Coffee Samurai on The Anime Network's DirecTV Anime on Demand service. Just to get everyone straight, it's a Korean animation, not anime (writing and dialog are all Korean).

It's a very welcome break from a lot of the other stuff AN puts up (enough with the moe-ecchi-harem stuff, please), but it's also quite slow (even for a 30-minute program) and very quiet, and to be honest, I couldn't make much of what was going on (though I'm not sure how much of that might have been the original dialog, versus the subs). Regardless, the overall story was pretty nice.

I've also been watching, and enjoying, Allison & Lillia as it's been put up; it reminded me a lot of Kino's Journey, a suspicion that someone else confirmed in this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3