• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'll give you atmospheric (I felt drained while watching it) but complex? It was just AEUG = Good, Titans = Bad, Axis = either or.

Granted, the Titans aren't the most nuanced antagonists, but I'm talking about the complexities of the narrative and themes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JohnSC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I picked the 08th MS team, the frontline style plot was more fun than the usual protagonist just by chance happens to become the pilot, or the saving planet earth from a coloney crashing into it.

I noticed that intentionally incomplete list does not contain titles like MS IGLOO, but the list does contain Turn A Gundam which was cancelled for North America.

What is the criterion of list compliation?
Or is that unreasonable to ask?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
As one of two of my favorite anime of all-time, I would have chosen Wing (not perfect, but I still adore the series so much), but I instead chose Victory Gundam, which was not only one of the best series I've seen, but also perhaps is the best and most quintessential "Gundam" series. It's everything that the franchise is about and strives to be at its highest level (at least, IMO…). Wing may be my favorite series in general, but in the realm of Gundam (even against other favs in Turn A and MSG (movie trilogy)), Victory is my favorite entry in the franchise.

dtm42 wrote:
LOL at the sole person who voted Gundam SEED Destiny.

Like it or not, there are a decent amount of people that like Destiny and thought it was good. I feel funny just posting that, but hey, it's the truth…

Last edited by Sam Murai on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
If you didn't vote for X you are a bad person who doesn't like good anime.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
00 for me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Didn't you say that Turn A was better?

Vaisaga wrote:
It's funny how I keep seeing people say this, but when I rewatched it not too long ago I found the first half of the first season to be the weakest, with the second season being stronger throughout. I think it's probably because season one was more unfocused while season 2 had a concrete threat to deal with.

Season one wasn't all that good, but it brought up some interesting ideas and the themes were thought-provoking. Season two was just bad. The complex enemies were shafted and it was just the clearly evil innovators left plus a few people better left forgotten, like the facepalm-inducing spoiler[Mr. Bushido]. Almost no enemy got actual development except for spoiler[Andrei], and he was an irritating prick whose arc was a waste of screentime. The season was also very poorly-written, with the plot suffering numerous holes and deficiencies, including some jaw-droppers. The themes were changed to be some mystical understanding BS, as if understanding one another will stop those who want to hurt people from hurting them. And don't get me started on Lyle.

Vaisaga wrote:
The movie was just amazing.

Amazingly boring and overhyped, maybe, but apart from visuals it was below-mediocre. Too many colourful beams and explosions, not enough on the plot and characters. Introducing spoiler[aliens] was a termianlly dumb idea, for a variety of reasons, like how Aeolia Schenberg could even predict two centuries in advance the exact time that they would arrive.

In fact, Schenberg could predict a lot of things he shouldn't have been able to, and had access to technology that even those who came two centuries after him didn't know about, like the Twin Drive System and TRANS-AM. That's like if twentieth-century humanity only finally understood classical physics by discovering a book Newton had written two centuries earlier informing them that they've only found said book because he had predicted they would need this information at exactly the time they found it. Nobody is able to prevent scientific advancement for two centuries just because they kept their findings secret. And nobody is that good a chessmaster.

I hate it when characters like that are used as plot devices to deliver deus ex machinas. It's extremely poor writing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Didn't you say that Turn A was better?

Yes, and? This is a survey of your favorite Gundam series, not the best Gundam series. And while Turn-A is better in a larger objective sense, X is by far the most enjoyable and entertaining.
RTL3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I gotta give my vote to the original series. It's sloppy, badly paced, features some hilarious animation and continuity errors, and has a few too many filler episodes, but I love it all the same. When I think Gundam, and I do more than I should, that's the show that comes to mind.

08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083 would be close seconds, not without their share of issues either, but fantastic animation, soundtracks and memorable scenes more than make up for the shortcomings.

And of course Unicorn, wonder why its not there...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, and? This is a survey of your favorite Gundam series, not the best Gundam series. And while Turn-A is better in a larger objective sense, X is by far the most enjoyable and entertaining.

You should have put more thought into your answer.

If someone voted for Turn A, which you state is objectively better, then why would you accuse them of not liking good Anime? If their favourite Gundam is also the best Gundam, then where's the problem?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You should have put more thought into your answer.

If someone voted for Turn A, which you state is objectively better, then why would you accuse them of not liking good Anime? If their favourite Gundam is also the best Gundam, then where's the problem?

Its amazing how you have absolutely no sense of humor at all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Granted, the Titans aren't the most nuanced antagonists, but I'm talking about the complexities of the narrative and themes.

Shame Tomino handled them with the grace of a dump truck.

Really it was 50 episodes of Camille whining about how stupid adults are, how war is bad, and "HOW DARE YOU TAKE SOME ONE'S LIFE?! I'LL KILL YOU!!!"

Zeta is my least favourite Gundam series due to its needlessly dark tone and irritating characters. The Argama crew have little chemestry or comradery and every conversation somehow turned into a fight. Victory is my 2nd least favourite because, while dark, the characters were far more likable.

I much prefer the Zeta movies. The addition of something simple like them sitting down and eating some cake together went a long way.

dtm42 wrote:
The themes were changed to be some mystical understanding BS, as if understanding one another will stop those who want to hurt people from hurting them.

You're thinking of AGE. 00 did place importance on understanding, but it also showed how there is twistedness in the world that needs to be eliminated too.

dtm42 wrote:
Amazingly boring and overhyped, maybe, but apart from visuals it was below-mediocre. Too many colourful beams and explosions, not enough on the plot and characters. Introducing spoiler[aliens] was a termianlly dumb idea, for a variety of reasons, like how Aeolia Schenberg could even predict two centuries in advance the exact time that they would arrive.

It has problems, sure, but for the most part it was such a grand ride. That battle at the end is one of the most intense ever filmed. In Gundam the final battle is usually just one country against the other. No matter who wins, humanity would continue on. With the ELS, it was a battle with humanity's entire existance on the line. All of humanity's fighting force was brought together to fight it off... but we were losing.

Aliens were going to happen in Gundam eventually. The franchise has to move forward at some point. What we got was excellently executed. They didn't go the humanoid alien route, but something truely alien.

And Aeolia didn't predict the exact time they'd arrive. What he predicted was the inevitability that humanity would go into space and encounter other life forms. He didn't want humanity to bring war with them when they did so.

What Aeolia had was a lot of contingencies. It's not like he predicted Alejandro would kill him. He just set things up in the case that some one did try to take over the plan.

And I guess he was just so smart that he could come up with this technology and no one since then could match him (except Eifman and Billy, I guess). Though I can agree this can be shakey ground.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
JohnSC wrote:

I noticed that intentionally incomplete list does not contain titles like MS IGLOO, but the list does contain Turn A Gundam which was cancelled for North America.

MS IGLOO was released here by Bandai Visual USA, which I believe Bandai Visual still holds the rights to the show in the American market (I could be wrong). Either way all the shows listed here either haven't come over State-side or are OOP waiting to be licensed rescued.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609, if that's your idea of humour then it wasn't at all funny.

----------

Vaisaga, I was talking about 00 - communication was a massive theme in season two. That was the whole point of the GN particle, it allowed consciousnesses to link together so that people would understand one another.

And the battle was far too long and boring. It certainly wasn't thrilling.

Here's what I wrote about the movie in my Anime list:

spoiler[First of all, the battles. Virtually the entire second half of the two hour-long movie was fighting, and it wore me out real fast. With half an hour to go I was tired, and the action only stepped up from there. It also stopped any sort of meaningful character moments. Action for action's sakes is nice in small doses, I will say. But as Mr. Plinkett pointed out in his reviews of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, without invoking an emotional response from the audience large action scenes are just empty and exhausting eye candy. That said, Setsuna really was quite useless in the battles here. I can sort of see why - it is a bad look in an anti-war movie to glorify machines of destruction. Oh, and the 00 Quan(t) was supposed to end war, so it's even more important not to glorify it. However, this movie is unashamedly about the fighting and selling new model kits, so there's a dichotomy that the franchise has grappled with since the time of its inception. Also, as a matter of principle, having the most powerful Gundam only entering the battlefield in the final fifteen minutes of the movie is a bit cheap. We waited all that time, and it hardly did anything.]

spoiler[There were too many characters, many of whom were brought back for no real reason other than to appease fans of the series. Even the more important characters had little time to do anything much. Marina was as useless as ever. Tieria didn't do much except for a brief piloting stint and wearing a suit so skintight around the butt that Ned Flanders would have been proud. The whole Feldt pining over Setsuna thing was not only extremely boring but it did no favours to her character; she literally did nothing else the entire movie. And what happened to her thing with Lockon? Kathy was supposed to be a tactical genius but she played no part in setting up the battle plan. Her only role was ordering the firing of the massive supercannon that has been around for as long as Veda but which we never even heard of until now. Louise and Saji were as useless as ever. Setsuna went to Earth for the sole reason of saving their sorry arses; why would he bother? Speaking of Setsuna, he was about as interesting as Rei Ayanami - i.e. not at all - but at least he didn't spout meaningless pop-psychology at us.]

spoiler[The story was ridiculous, just like it was in Season 2. People will not stop fighting just because they understand one another. Ever heard of psychopaths? Sociopaths? No? People will hurt one another even if they know what they are doing is wrong or they understand how their victim feels. It happens a lot in domestic violence situations, a cycle of violence that is very unfortunate but isn't going to be solved overnight. Magical pixie dust is not going to address the underlying problems, and the underlying human behaviour, that cause violence in the first place. It certainly will not help the aliens find a new home, although they seems quite content to abandon their search and just form a giant yellow flower. Speaking about their new home, they seem plenty capable to me of just making a new one from scratch, given their massive level of technology. Lastly, and it has to be said, the ending sucks. Setsuna ex machina? I was savvy enough to stick around after the credits, and it did try to tie up loose ends. However it begs two questions. If a quarter of Earth's sentient population are now innovators, A: how was the inevitable conflict between humans and innovators resolved or managed, and B: how did a quarter of people become innovators in the first place? What is driving the innovation? Maybe I missed the memo, but I really don't know.]

I suspect I put more effort into talking about the movie than the screenwriter put into actually writing the goddamn script.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vaisaga, I was talking about 00 - communication was a massive theme in season two. That was the whole point of the GN particle, it allowed consciousnesses to link together so that people would understand one another.

I know, but it also never shyed away from going "Yeah, understanding is important, but there are some bad people we need to get rid of first."

So it's not like AGE who toted that "Understanding solves everything!"
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
What turns a human into an innovator is answered and additional material is given about the humanity vs Innovator conflict. The spoiler[GN Particles work regardless of range (which would be like if someone became the Incredible Hulk in Australia because of the Higgs Boson experiments in Europe) and a group of Humans go to war with the innovators. ]. Gundam 00 Season 2 really brought that series down because of how silly the plot got.

I voted for Mobile Fighter G Gundam because I thought it best exemplified what the AUs should have been while also being fun, a ton of character development and overall a really good plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9