• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crush on an anime boy or girl?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
What's NGE... you guys keep referrign to it and it doesnt ring a bell for me? Eva?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:
What's NGE... you guys keep referrign to it and it doesnt ring a bell for me? Eva?

NGE == Neon Genesis Evangelion == Shin Seiki Evangelion == "Eva".

And there isn't a single character in NGE that I'd touch with a ten-foot pole...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
And there isn't a single character in NGE that I'd touch with a ten-foot pole...

I dunno, I'd probably hit up Misato for a one-night stand. Nothing serious, though. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Nirvana wrote:

NGE == Neon Genesis Evangelion == Shin Seiki Evangelion == "Eva".

- abunai

What about Rei? I think her whole mystery girl thing is fascinating.

I just kept wondering when I watched, what would Rei think when X happened.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

What about Rei? I think her whole mystery girl thing is fascinating.

Don't take this the wrong way... well, actually, I don't care if you do. It's like this:

Ayanami Rei is not a person. She's a cardboard figure masquerading as a person. There is no "mystery" there, because, in the final analysis, there is no real identity there.

Whether or not an anime fan considers Ayanami Rei physically (and emotionally) desirable is, in my book, a surefire litmus test of that person's emotional and intellectual maturity. If you think you'd like to jump her bones, you're still a kid. If you're old enough to know better, you've probably graduated to adult.

Sorry, but there it is.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ayanami Rei is not a person. She's a cardboard figure masquerading as a person. There is no "mystery" there, because, in the final analysis, there is no real identity there.

Says who?

You?

No offense but, in my book, an anime fan who considers his view on a specific character to be the one and only needs to have his share of growing up as well.

It seems like you're hiding from something if you ask me, I never said I thought Rei was either emotionally nor physically attractive. Rather I said her plain weirdness and alternate sense of reality was fascinating.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Oh come on, Gendo Ikari is availible, or how about nice, stable, underage people like Asuka or Shinji. Quite frankly, the functional alcoholic Misato is about as good as it gets. You know, I see your point.

Seriously, though I kind of come in with Cloe on this. Yes, there are characters I admire, sympathize with, could even enjoy getting to know if they were real people, and even learn from thier example (which is tied to indirectly to somebody's real life experince when you think about it). But they don't exist in the same reality as I do, at least to my knowledge.

All the Best,

Nani?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
To me the most fascinating aspect of Rei's character arc, which corresponds with the arcs of all the lead characters, comes in EOE when she breaks Dr. Ikari's glasses, finally manifesting a rebellion against her patriarchal sugar daddy. It's this unexpected rejection of submissive dependence that finally brings Rei into the series' theme of human seperation. So of course Rei has a character arc within the context of the story, but at the same time no fictitious character is anything more than the images and/or words used to create that character. Outside the parameters of the story (and the merchandizing) there is no Rei Ayanami. So ultimately any crush on fictitious characters is at best a holding pattern as explained by Dan Savage; at worst, as in the moe subculture, it's a dead end. David Bowie's latest album Reality has a wonderfully parodic song about the self-deluding moe mindset;" "I'm the luckiest guy, not the loneliest guy in the world."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moé and its corresponding links touch on the notion that in EoE Rei is used specifically to deconstruct and crotch-kick the whole Moe thing, which I'd never thought of but which is pretty obvious now that I think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Quite frankly, the functional alcoholic Misato is about as good as it gets.

Heheh. Smile Yes, that's about my assessment, too. Oh, well, at least she's human, and more or less adult. But I'd still rather pass...

Aaron White wrote:
Actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moé and its corresponding links touch on the notion that in EoE Rei is used specifically to deconstruct and crotch-kick the whole Moe thing, which I'd never thought of but which is pretty obvious now that I think about it.

Hummm. Actually, I think that's wrong. It's an after-the-fact rationalisation of the "meaning" of the character, which I don't think was part of the original intent. There seems to be a tendency to over-analyze NGE, and especially to idealize the supposed "genius" of Anno. It doesn't take an Edogawa Conan to guess what my opinion on this subject is.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I think the Wikipedia entry (like much that has been written on the topic of moe) is full of hot air and gender-political bias. In general, we're still waiting on a sensible analysis of the phenomenon of moe. Lots of attempts have been made in recent times to provide this analysis, notably by Akamatsu Ken and ABe Yoshitoshi. The latter's take on the subject, characteristically, is irreverent and hilarious. The former's, predictably, is self-serving.

- abunai
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Actually, I think that's wrong. It's an after-the-fact rationalisation of the "meaning" of the character, which I don't think was part of the original intent. There seems to be a tendency to over-analyze NGE, and especially to idealize the supposed "genius" of Anno.

Abunai, you should be a press secretary. You have a knack for dismissing without explaining.

The more I think about it the more obvious it is to me that throughout EoE Rei is portrayed in ways that offend and undercut the kind of cheap fetishizing that Miyazaki complains about in that Wikipedia article. Her rebellion against Ikari's patriarchal and crypto-erotic control, her repulsive transformations, have the same effect on her demure allure as denaturing has on alcohol.

Obviously Anno isn't a genius; obviously he is a talented and creatively ambitious person who has had an enormous and largely beneficial influence on anime. Hailing him as a genius is woefully naive, but so is dismissing him. I have plenty more to say about Anno's role as a smuggler of innovations, rather than an innovator, but it would only derail this thread; later, and elsewhere.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
[ It's an after-the-fact rationalisation of the "meaning" of the character, which I don't think was part of the original intent.

Another thing I forgot to mention-who knows or cares what the intent was (at any stage of the project's development; it's not as if intent stays fixed over the month or years of such a project.) Intentionality is way, way overrated in every aspect of life, and is scarcely relevant to life as it is lived. The text stands alone, and if Rei's representation in the film works against fetishization and "being in love with the character," it doesn't matter what Anno's intention was.
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is just my opinion, of course, but I think the Wikipedia entry

I think that's the end of the arguement.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I love the unmarked spoilers. I suppose that's my fault for stopping at Ep. 06 of Neon Genesis Evangelion 3 years ago. Rolling Eyes
Maclam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
i've watched sooo many anime.... but the anime char that i like most of all is Deedlit in Lodoss War OVA.... in the tv serie she somehow seem to have lost her innocence...she isn't the same Deedlit as the one in the Ova Sad

Misuzu in Air is also a great anime char...that serie sure had an impact on me especially because i love kids and wouldn't it be great if all kids were sweet as Misuzu?? Smile

Don't misunderstand me.... those are no crushes... just admiration... those 2 anime girls are my favorite probably because their personnality somehow really appeal to me....well Deedlit is pretty hot i gotta admit Smile as for Misuzu she's just adorable and cute Smile

Tomo Yukishiro from Kenshin Ova
Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi
Flay in gundam Seed
Henrietta from gunslinger

those are all girls i like from anime serie but Deedlit and Misuzu are my favorite still Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5