• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Claiming Ad Revenue for YouTube Game Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
I think Nintendo would have looked much better in comparison if they had simply removed ANY ad revenue from the videos rather than pulling this. Yes, it's a Nintendo game, however the LP'er purchased the game and took the effort to edit the video, upload it and all that. If they have an issue with a person making money from that, fair enough, but having the audacity to claim money for that themselves is childish behavior.

If we were to compare this to anime, what you're basically saying is that it would be childish for an anime company to go after fansubbers. A fansubber may buy the BD or DVD, spend the time to rip it, translate it, subtitle it, and upload it. Can you still say that an anime company has no right to insert ads into those videos?

Realistically speaking, those kinds of videos would be removed rather than just have ads inserted, and the fansubber may or may not be making a profit off of it (eg. ads from hits on their site), but the example would still apply since you're saying the LPer purchased the original content (something a fansubber might not even do) and spent the time to edit it, which is similar to the effort a fansubber may put into subtitling an anime.

Except you cannot compare a game and a movie/episode in the same way. If you watch a fansub episode, then you have watched the episode. However if you watch a LP of a game, you have still not actually played the game. Sure, I watched Two Best Friends Let's Play play Metal Gear Rising and it was cool to look at, but I'm picking up the game soon because it would be FAR cooler to actually control. If someone is actually content to just watch LP's and never pick up a controller themselves, then it's highly unlikely if they were going to play a video game period.

So no, I'm not saying it would be childish for the anime companies to go after fansubbers, what fansubbers do and what LP'ers do are too different. LP'ers are not allowing other people to play the game through their videos, and that's obviously what a video game's primary appeal is meant to be: to be played. Now people who offer illegal downloads of video games for people to play, by all means take legal action against those jerks as soon as possible.

Also, you completely misread my post. I never said it wasn't Nintendo's right to do this. They are fully within their rights according to the law. My argument is questioning the morality and maturity that Nintendo is displaying through this development. And hey, I fully respect the law and follow it, but that doesn't mean I have to agree that every single aspect of it is right. If you're actually going to sit here and tell me you're 100% okay with the current status of everything that is currently legal and illegal in your country, well that's pretty lucky for you, but I guarantee you that does not apply to the vast majority of the world. There's always some issue that people want to change the legality of and that's not going to change anytime soon.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
It's their IP, and they have every right to exercise control over whether or not other people can make money off of it.

No, they don't. Despite what people feel on the copyright matter, no business has a right to strip Fair Use away from customers, regardless if the issue includes monetary incentive.

However, I'll stress again: this is not a copyright claim. Nintendo is flexing its abuse to claim it has an entitled right to capture the ad revenue because the Fair Use includes their works.

No one is making money using Nintendo's works. People are making money by allowing YouTube to insert ads into their uploads and are earning a small amount of money in exchange. And "small amount" is accurate, as I've yet to see someone quit their day job uploading videos to YouTube to replace it.

Single accounts aren't an issue. Combine them using the Content ID system, and it's abuse to the ignorant extreme.

And this does get "wrecked" for everyone, because you can bet if Nintendo gets away with this, it's just a matter of time we get to this:
"Is that a Coca-cola can in the background of your cat video? Well hot damn! We're taking your ad revenue. Thanks! Enjoy Coke!"
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The issue is people profiting from YouTube revenue on let's play videos.

Just because you like Super Mario and posted a video of yourself talking over an extended playthrough that shows the entire content of the game doesn't mean you're entitled to profit from Nintendo's IP or products.

S long as they're not blocking the videos or preventing people from posting them, I don't see anything wrong with the company exercising their basic rights.

But its the LP persons musings on the game that are why people are watching. Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to claim revenue for that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Zac wrote:

Just because you like Super Mario and posted a video of yourself talking over an extended playthrough that shows the entire content of the game doesn't mean you're entitled to profit from Nintendo's IP or products.

S long as they're not blocking the videos or preventing people from posting them, I don't see anything wrong with the company exercising their basic rights.

But its the LP persons musings on the game that are why people are watching. Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to claim revenue for that.

But if it weren't for Nintendo's games, they wouldn't have anything to make snarky remarks about. This isn't an incident where Just short clips are being shown off. Most of these people are walking you through the entirety of a game and gaining some financial benefit from it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Despite what people feel on the copyright matter, no business has a right to strip Fair Use away from customers, regardless if the issue includes monetary incentive.

Except it's not "Fair Use".
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't see a problem with people making money off of Let's Plays. They are putting their time and effort into these, as well as buying Nintendo products to do these playthroughs, not to mention the fact that Let's Plays have helped me make decisions myself on games to buy before, so why can't they earn a little bit of money for their efforts?
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Zac wrote:

Obviously not. That profit is earned by gradually building up a fanbase through personality, skill, and/or interacting with the audience. I'm not sure if you're aware Zac, but we are at an age where a video game streaming website Twitch(.TV) is generating millions of unique viewers every month. People like to watch other people play video games. Be it gaming competitively or casually, there is something that a lot of people nowadays have been allured to. In terms of numbers, it has completely dwarfed the anime-watching audience and continues to rapidly grow. Those who profit from this have put in a ton of effort to do so.

Do you think that a Super Mario Brothers speedrunner who practiced for thousands of hours to surpass the world record does not deserve a profit off of that? People aren't watching the video because of the game. They're watching it because of the actions of the player, and how they can play the game beyond the level of anyone else in the world.

I will, have to agree with you.

I can go further. If Nintendo want to be this greedy, if should be N the one that needs to pay youtube and fans making veidos with ther so called IP.

Reasoning: just being on youtube and having dedicated people doing the bets advertisements for their products that money will never ever be able to pay.

The publicity and "pros" that N can buy and pay are total noobs compared with dedicated fans that know what the hell they are talkign about.

This is often seen in the PAID (as well all know) "pros" reviewes and reviewers that barely touch the game and just shows insultingly when we gamers actually know the game.

So yea, like I said, N is already getting back xx times direct profit thanks to the huge advertisements of how "great" their products are on something as big and visited as Youtube, thanks to the work of fans, so yeas, just like N has to pay pros for the publicity, if we want roll for greed, they should actually pay then if are unhappy with fans getting ad revenue, yet currently, here it works better for N, they dont pay anything for the huge publicity and that is the one N can never ever hope to pay for.

If N want to be this greed, the only real modification that sould be done is 80% or more for fans and their work and time and 20 or less for N, if all part wanna go on greed.

The perfect solution is things as they have been till know, forget greed inherent to companies and realize the publicity is already giving N huge revenue already and N doe snot even need to pay for it.

Otherwise N will just suffer when fans can no longer spend their time and rightfully monetize it if they are giving N huge publicity.

Let see how much ad revenue N gets when fans ditch them. No ad revenue at all or insignificant and no major worldwide publicity either.

Time and time again we see companies are run by greedy morons.

I can imagine perfectly what kind of idiot thought this was a brilliant idea to present to N, and promised it would bring tones of extra cash effortlessly, resulting eventually in a nice promotion aot fat bonus at the least.

Lastly, you guys can not hope to argue with Zac, he is basically on other side of the fence here (due to his line of work and business partnerships at the east), what perspective do you hope he agrees with? Its evident.

Best opinion will always be that of neutral parties.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Despite what people feel on the copyright matter, no business has a right to strip Fair Use away from customers, regardless if the issue includes monetary incentive.

Except it's not "Fair Use".

It really isn't. For starters, these videos, bearing Nintendo game content, weren't just recorded for personal usage, i.e. among friends, or at a gamer/anime/whatever nerd cultural medium gathering; they're posted on YouTube, generating tens of thousand to millions of views.

So, Nintendo does have the right, greedy as it may be, to monetize off of ad revenue generated on videos featuring their content. However, IINM, that completely nullifies these users' partnerships (or, at least, the money they'd be receiving as a result of those specific types of videos on their channels).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
But if it weren't for Nintendo's games, they wouldn't have anything to make snarky remarks about. This isn't an incident where Just short clips are being shown off. Most of these people are walking you through the entirety of a game and gaining some financial benefit from it.
This would be an excellent point were Nintendo demanding a cut of the profits, but they're not: they're hogging all the money and trying to portray themselves as good guys for not doing worse. Personally, I suspect that the outrage wouldn't be so strong had they not tried to rationalize it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
I think some of you guys might be over selling just how much money this ad revenue actually entails. Sure for a couple of game enthusists making web shows its sure helps to keep the lights on and help at making more content.

But for a billion dollar company like Nintendo? Its not about the ad money. Its just a deterrent so playthroughs of very recent titles might not be so numerous so quickly. And help sell a few games Nintendo might not have othewise. Which is where the actual money is.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
If I throw a pigskin to someone, should the ad revenue (assuming there would be any) be stolen by the football maker or the NFL?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
Adamb15 wrote:
If I throw a pigskin to someone, should the ad revenue (assuming there would be any) be stolen by the football maker or the NFL?

Not even remotely comparable to the situation.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Funny. If this was Microsoft doing this I'm betting people would be up in arms, but since it's Nintendo the apologists are out in force. If I was Sony or Microsoft I would come out with a press release right now that says basically, "Hey, you guys can play our games on YouTube; have at it".

All it's going to do is get these players to redirect their focus elsewhere, which will ultimately just cost Nintendo due to less exposure. These companies are so backwards and out of touch they can't even recognize how to take full advantage of social media and what these videos and those who make them actually provide in the way of free advertisement.

Of course, to me the biggest fraud of the whole thing isn't so much what they're doing, but how they're trying to paint themselves by doing it. They want to do this then so be it, but don't play the benevolent "for the good of all" card when that clearly is not the motivation here, it's just sad and insulting to consumers.

Frankly, people who watch these videos aren't watching them for Nintendo's games, and Nintendo loses nothing from the use of their content since games are interactive and watching someone playing one on YouTube is hardly equivalent to playing it yourself (which these videos do not offer unless we some sudden huge leap in what YouTube can do). Nintendo monetizing other peoples hard work, their personality, their time, their efforts in building a userbase, is outright shameful. This is particularly the case when they try to spin it the way they have, which is just insulting. I hope a lot of these people shut their videos down rather than allow Nintendo to hijack them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Legally Nintendo seems to be well within their rights for doing this. Morally though? I don't think so. Some games have seen huge increases of sales purely from a let's play. Can anyone really doubt that youtubers like the Yogscast are part of the reason Minecraft is as popular as it is?

If this were any other medium it would be completely different story, but video games are inherently interactive, which means you can't really experience a game without playing it. Sure you can see the content, but that's not the same as actually playing it. Furthermore part of the reason people watch other play games is that the people playing themselves are entertaining.

Quote:
If I was Sony or Microsoft I would come out with a press release right now that says basically, "Hey, you guys can play our games on YouTube; have at it".

Doesn't the PS4 have twitch integration? Which is basically allowing this type of action.

Last edited by Animehermit on Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
The entitlement in here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

I especially like the almost painfully self-serving "WE THE GAMERS" rhetoric.

Keonyn wrote:
If I was Sony or Microsoft I would come out with a press release right now that says basically, "Hey, you guys can play our games on YouTube; have at it".

So are you just willfully misrepresenting what Nintendo is doing here to fuel the angry fanboy thing or do you not actually understand what they're doing?

Nintendo isn't taking away anyone's ability to livestream their games start to finish. They're taking away their ability to profit from it on Youtube.

Yes, there are a handful of people who make serious money doing this. There are people who produce Let's Play videos for a living - they don't tell you what kind of ad revenue they make off YouTube, which has some of the best rates in the business, because if they did, suddenly you'd want a cut for being an audience member or they wouldn't seem like "one of you" or whatever nonsense tribalism thing du jour is happening. There is real money in this. The views are in the millions, the ad revenue is nothing to sneeze at for the top LP people.

Mystery Science Theater had to pay licensing fees for the films they broadcast, folks. The law's the law.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7