• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Girls und Panzer, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Strike Witches Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Where do you think the "arch" comes from?

Archery comes from Old French archerie, from archier (“archer”). Old French arc means bow. Old French etymology isn't relevant to the Japanese neologism 戦車道, though. However, the -ery suffix has become widespread in English itself.

The translation makes some sense (more than translating it to German or making a pun out of it), but the argument is more that it doesn't need a translation. Thinking of judo and kendo, I am more than inclined to agree.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Seriously this is cool Seven Seas comes through again awsome can't waith for the Strike Witches release.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
WRT Strike Witches, is there a possibility of getting the semi-official doujin that was also translated by Dan Kanemitsu?

Certainly something to look into; I recall hearing about this, though not sure what the status of its availability would be (since it is a doujinshi, after all).

Megiddo wrote:
configspace wrote:
Someone tweeted a good point about kyudo = archery; and in general the -ery suffix usage.

What? Do you call archery bowery? Because that's what tankery would be. It makes no sense. Stick to senshado. Same as you do for kendo and judo. I figured this would be a non-issue considering Sentai Filmworks will likely be using sensha-do but I guess Seven Seas plans to possibly cause a translation discrepancy with that.

Just considering our options, which is why we'd like to continue hearing from the fans on the matter. Smile

Parsifal24 wrote:
Seriously this is cool Seven Seas comes through again awsome can't waith for the Strike Witches release.

You're quite welcome!
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge strike witches and girls und panzer fan but I'm a little disappointed on which manga series were licensed.

Strike Witches: Tenkou no Otometachi is only 2 volumes and is like a short lived reboot on how Yoshika becomes a witch and before it can go anywhere it's over, plus the artwork is just ok.

I think Strike Witches Rei: 1937 Fusou Kaijihen would have been a better choice. It has the best artwork of any of the STW manga series and tells the story of Mio Sakamoto on when she first joins the witches, it also includes back story to many other witches never before seen and only mentioned.

Even Strike Witches: Kimi to Tsunagaru Sora could have been a better pick, it bridges the gap between the end of season 1 and before season 2 starts of the anime series on what happens to the members of the 501st.

Hell even Strike Witches: Katayoku no Majotachi was more interesting the story of Wilma Bishop and her unit, Lynette's older sister fighting in the same region. It's only 2 volumes but was very entertaining.

At least these 3 stories are cannon to the original series so it gives us a form of continuation even if it's not animated.

As for Girls Und Panzer it's based on the anime series but it takes a few liberties, the main part I didn't like was how it seems to focus heavily on Yukari as the main character even though she is one of my favorites of the series. At least it shows the Anchovy battle with the Italian team but it contradicts what the anime shows or is going to show.

Not saying that this manga shouldn't have been licensed that Little Army the prequel should have been released first. It has the better artwork and if you are dying for more of the anime and can't wait bam you can read the prequel about Miho when she was younger and before she leaves for Oorai.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the feedback Dfens!

Though, I'd like to point out in our official press release, we do have more Strike Witches manga planned after we release Maidens in the Sky. Smile

As for the Girls und Panzer releases, we want to make sure we get the actual series out there before we get the prequel out. I know it seems a bit wonky, but we want to first establish the series for fans before we bring in anything else that branches off from the main story (even if it is a prequel).

I hope this doesn't cause too much a problem, and we do hope you enjoy our releases once they hit shelves. I'm always happy to hear what fans have to say about our releases (good and bad), as that is part of why I'm here and what being a manga publisher is about.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Conner it's nice to know publishers like to hear feedback and actively post/respond.

I definitely will buy Girls Und Panzer Little Army when it's released, and will pre-order this second if you guys have the rights and are going to release Strike Witches Rei: 1937 Fusou Kaijihen. That one stars my favorite witch Mio Sakamoto.

Just wanted to thank you guys for rescuing Gunslinger Girl from ADV those guys where the worst on releasing that series. I plan on buying the Seven Seas release of the whole series as soon as Rightstuf has everyone volume back in stock. Was waiting for the last one to come out an even though I have volume 1-6 ADV I want to own the newer full set to start off my first Seven Seas manga purchase.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Thanks for the reply Conner it's nice to know publishers like to hear feedback and actively post/respond.

I definitely will buy Girls Und Panzer Little Army when it's released, and will pre-order this second if you guys have the rights and are going to release Strike Witches Rei: 1937 Fusou Kaijihen. That one stars my favorite witch Mio Sakamoto.

Just wanted to thank you guys for rescuing Gunslinger Girl from ADV those guys where the worst on releasing that series. I plan on buying the Seven Seas release of the whole series as soon as Rightstuf has everyone volume back in stock. Was waiting for the last one to come out an even though I have volume 1-6 ADV I want to own the newer full set to start off my first Seven Seas manga purchase.

You're quite welcome; I'll be doing my best in maintaining a consistent dialog with fans, so never feel like you can't shoot us some questions, comments or suggestions.

While I'm not 100% sure on our exact STW manga line-up, I do believe we'll be releasing them in chronological order in which the series came out, so hopefully that helps some.

And no problem! We're all huge fans of Gunslinger Girl, so I know Seven Seas took the utmost pride and care in releasing that series. Hopefully TRSI gets omnibus 3 back in-stock soon, but definitely let us know if there is a longer-than-normal delay (on Twitter, Tumblr or FB) so we can see what the issue is and get more stock over there.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
We're all huge fans of Gunslinger Girl, so I know Seven Seas took the utmost pride and care in releasing that series.

I love your release of Gunslinger Girl. The last three volumes should be arriving soon for me (once they get more stock of Kisses, Sighs and Cherry Blossom Pink) and I look forward to reading them.

If Girl Friends and other similar titles did well for you, a yuri manga I liked even more that I'd love to have on my shelf is Octave by Haru Akiyama.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
That's a Kodansha title so you'll be holding your breathe a long time jymmy.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
configspace wrote:
WRT Strike Witches, is there a possibility of getting the semi-official doujin that was also translated by Dan Kanemitsu?

Certainly something to look into; I recall hearing about this, though not sure what the status of its availability would be (since it is a doujinshi, after all).

"Witches of Africa" was originally printed as a doujinshi, but then it was collected in a magazine and printed as a commercial tankobon. Still not exactly sure where the rights lie, though.

Nogami Takeshi's SW doujinshi are really, really good though. Maybe my favorite part of the whole SW franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3