• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Antiques Rogueshow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I liked Ciel a lot as a character. His ruthlessness and unwavering dedication to a single goal is kind of refreshing in this world of wishy-washy, unsure of themselves male protagonists that seem to populate a large amount of anime these days.

The character that I really hated was the spoiler[other boy with a demon butler that they introduced in the second season.] Yes, I realize that he is meant to be a disliked character, but there were a few things that really turned me off to that character beyond the usual "he's evil" consideration.

First of all, it appears like the character is depicted in a way that seems like an attempt to be "pretty," but yet he's kind of disgusting - maybe that's intentional, and if so ok, but if it was just an attempt to create a slick fetishy character, it really doesn't work.
Also, too much of his antics seem to be just in bad taste. Villains can be tastefully evil, and I think that often makes them more compelling characters.

That being said, I have found some enjoyment in watching the second season.

Just to make sure, you did watch all the way to the end of the season, right? Because Alois DOES end up being vindicated to an extent. Honestly, I loved Alois, and he has a pretty sizable fanbase-- he's so very crazy that he's fun to watch. And while I absolutely hate Claude, it's the good kind of hatred-- I mean, a character that I love to hate. That's what you want in a villain!
So I guess what I'm saying is, you and I don't see eye to eye at all on the second season Wink

Anyway though, since the review is for the latter half of the first season, personally I think it's a lot weaker than the first half-- in fact one of my favorite episodes was the one-off ep featuring the little princes. The plot ended up so mangled that I almost didn't want to watch it ._. The characters are all still compelling though.

Also I may be the only person-- and probably the only fujoshi, for sure-- who actually likes Lizzy. If she didn't have such a horrible grating voice she'd be perfectly adorable!
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Mages who start with Meteor Swarm in round one (as a warning shot) and scale up from there, a world where 99.99% of the population is unaware of the dangers around them (and unable to affect them if they were), powerful magic items left over from lost civilizations of Olden Days, main characters shrugging off attacks that level the buildings behind them... but a modern setting and Clarke's-Law-in-reverse magitek? I'd still call that "high fantasy". (Your choice of the My-Hime or Nanoha franchises.)
I choose My-HiME as I actually saw it. So I ask: How is My-HiME high fantasy? It takes place on Earth entirely. The basic tenet of High Fantasy is that it has to take place by and large in a separate "fantasy land". See Wikipedia
Then Middle Earth maybe shouldn't have been your reference point, as JRRT has said it's earth, just in a different time (with references in that same wiki article). Wink

Anyway, the only thing earth-like I recall about the HiME world is a single moon/star, and nothing but humans for sentient life. None of the geography/politics/history is real-world.
Quote:
Also, the Highly Advanced Materializing Equipment wasn't magical by any means, it was (extremely soft) science. [...]grant their ability to create matter "out of photons". Nanomachines, and particularly photons, aren't magic. No magic, no alternate world = no high fantasy.
If it's science, it follows E=mc^2. Making something that weighs about a pound (.5kg) out of energy takes 45 petajoules. If Natsuki's pistols weigh a pound, total (very light, for two pistols), and it takes her a full second to create them, she uses a quarter of the total solar energy incident on earth's atmosphere (the whole atmosphere, not just the surface) for that second. Or, if you prefer, 1/2000th of the total energy in the recent 9.0 earthquake, held in the palm of your hand. That's magic, not nanomachines.

Anyway, the (leading the witness) point of my original question was, if you define "high fantasy" as a tolkienesque world with tolkienesque magic, all your high-fantasy stories will be kinda tolkien-y.

And I'm too far off-topic, so I'll quit now.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I won't take this any further.

Yeah, right. Rolling Eyes
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Should that "as Guin" be "in Guin Saga"? Blake Shepard wasn't Guin, as I know that you are "in the know" about Guin's VA being David "Golgo 13" Wald. Speaking of which, would it be fair to blame Guin Saga for the delay in Golgo 13 part 3?

Augh, why would they list Remus first? Yes, I mean David Wald. I also liked Wald as Golgo.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Anyway, the (leading the witness) point of my original question was, if you define "high fantasy" as a tolkienesque world with tolkienesque magic, all your high-fantasy stories will be kinda tolkien-y.
I don't define it as such. I wonder why the rest of the world seems to. Even that Wikipedia article was scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with examples of High Fantasy that were not JRR Tolkien-rehashes. The only ones they were able to list which I have read and can thus agree with are Harry Potter and The Golden Compass, which is rather sad as they are known "children's series". Apparently adults aren't supposed to desire innovation? Shocked

Yes, I saw the JRR Tolkien "Hey guys, Middle Earth is really Earth a long, long time ago" assertion, and it does not matter as LOTR is still the exemplar series of high fantasy as far as critique and classification goes. The article shows this.
Quote:
Some typical characteristics of high fantasy include fantastical elements such as elves, fairies, dwarves, dragons, demons, magic or sorcery, wizards or magicians, invented languages, quests, coming-of-age themes, and multi-volume narratives.
(From wikipedia) Sounds like Guin Saga to me, sounds like most all High Fantasy to me...and it also sounds exactly like every well-known Tolkien work.
Quote:
Anyway, the only thing earth-like I recall about the HiME world is a single moon/star, and nothing but humans for sentient life.
I do not believe it was stated that there was no sentient life save for humans. Also, in Mai-Otome, the sequel series, it was construed that HiME and Otome took place on a world colonized eons before by humans who had crafted space travel. That's science fiction right there. (Alternatively was the theory that the planet is post-apocalyptic Earth, but Sifr gave greater credence to the other theory)
Quote:
If it's science, it follows E=mc^2.
That's preposterous to assume. Science evolves. E=MC^2 is not the end-all, be-all of science. We can't know that it is. Galileo, Copernicus, & Kepler were told that science had to revolve around a geocentric solar system. As we know today, they were right and "geocentricity" was wrong. I also question your premise--who says that the nanomachines replicate matter from pure energy, ala Star Trek? Perhaps they can alter the nucleus of the atom, converting the ample free elements in air into the weapons? (Somehow using photons to do this--I never said it was a hard science-fiction show. As a tangent, Planetes is the only anime I've seen which could hold such a classification.) For further thought, how can we assume any sort of "reasonable weight" for Natsuki's pistols? Maybe they are constructed of a material of such strength that only a fraction of a pound is sufficient(in our age we are developing graphine)? Perhaps they do not need weighting to compensate for recoil? Why should her pistol be in any way similar to a contemporary handgun?

Have you seen Soukou no Strain? There's a show that loves the E=MC^2....and it was worse for it.

More on topic, I still don't want to believe that David Matranga is the detriment of the dub. Brutal, he was so dedicated to his previous anime roles as to *publicly cross-dress for them*, and publish it on the DVD of the show. I guess even the best have off-days.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I tried hard this week not to judge one way or another whether Antique Bakery is yaoi.
Erin, I feel you are correct in deeming AB as "not yaoi" because frankly as a BL fan if I'd bought it (either the manga or the anime) expecting such I would've been sorely disappointed. Especially so if I were familiar with any of Fumi Yoshinaga's actual (and totally awesome) BL titles, many of which are English licensed now (see: Gerard & Jacques, Ichigenme..., Moon & Sandals, Lovers in the Night, etc.).

Instead, I came to the anime after having first both watched the drama(actually my first J-drama ever, in ~2005) and then read the DMP manga as it was released (and boy, if I'd read the manga before I saw the drama and knew the huge change they'd made to the story I probably would've hated the drama. Still, Fujiki Naohito & Tackey Anime catgrin). So I could enjoy the anime without being let down by it not being "BL enough." Plus, I liked the unusual animation style. It did a great job of retaining the "Yoshinaga look" of characters, I thought.

My last comment is-- yet again-- why isn't someone licensing that Korean movie adaptation!? (C'mon people, Kim Jae Wook! Make it happen!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Wait a minute, does Erin really think Guin Saga is more aimed at women, or was she just trying to get it to fit the "theme" of this week? I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be more of a seinen series.

Though as a guy, I loved Black Butler right from the start. I admit, the staff was kind of lame, but Sebastian is such a badass it didn't really bother me. The story only gets better as it goes on, though I've heard Season 2 falls apart, so I may just stick to Season 1 (still need to order Part 2) and the manga.

IIRC, Zac and Justin enjoyed Gunslinger Girl, at least Season 1. Is anyone REALLY going to try to argue that those two are lolicon fans? Confused I love Gunslinger Girl for the record (only S1 though, have not seen S2), but if anyone said that automatically made me a lolicon fan, I'd try not to slap them (this isn't aimed at Erin but more the discussion at hand).
I recently rewatched the first season of Gunslinger Girl, and for the life of me I can not see where, or why Erin thinks this is loli. Must be a woman thing. If her idea of loli is minders abusing their charges, or just treating them as tools, and weapon extentions with no more affection then that a co-worker has for his partner who he has to get along with in order to complete their assignment, then I've missed the definition point of Lolita Complex. I haven't seen Season 2, but I don't have to to see just what they tried to remix the concept for, but Season 1? If it's there it's far too vague and subtle for my brain to comprehend.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I liked Ciel a lot as a character. His ruthlessness and unwavering dedication to a single goal is kind of refreshing in this world of wishy-washy, unsure of themselves male protagonists that seem to populate a large amount of anime these days.

The character that I really hated was the spoiler[other boy with a demon butler that they introduced in the second season.] Yes, I realize that he is meant to be a disliked character, but there were a few things that really turned me off to that character beyond the usual "he's evil" consideration.

First of all, it appears like the character is depicted in a way that seems like an attempt to be "pretty," but yet he's kind of disgusting - maybe that's intentional, and if so ok, but if it was just an attempt to create a slick fetishy character, it really doesn't work.
Also, too much of his antics seem to be just in bad taste. Villains can be tastefully evil, and I think that often makes them more compelling characters.

That being said, I have found some enjoyment in watching the second season.

Just to make sure, you did watch all the way to the end of the season, right? Because Alois DOES end up being vindicated to an extent. Honestly, I loved Alois, and he has a pretty sizable fanbase-- he's so very crazy that he's fun to watch. And while I absolutely hate Claude, it's the good kind of hatred-- I mean, a character that I love to hate. That's what you want in a villain!
So I guess what I'm saying is, you and I don't see eye to eye at all on the second season Wink

Anyway though, since the review is for the latter half of the first season, personally I think it's a lot weaker than the first half-- in fact one of my favorite episodes was the one-off ep featuring the little princes. The plot ended up so mangled that I almost didn't want to watch it ._. The characters are all still compelling though.

Also I may be the only person-- and probably the only fujoshi, for sure-- who actually likes Lizzy. If she didn't have such a horrible grating voice she'd be perfectly adorable!

I haven't watched all the way to the end of the second season yet, so maybe you have a point, but it is hard for me to imagine any revelation that could justify, for example, spoiler[ him partially blinding one of his servants by violently sticking his finger into her eye until blood starts gushing out just because she happened to look at him.] It was such an extreme random act that seems incapable of explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3