• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Exorcist (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, wait. Is one of the priests a shout out to Cyborg-009? I'm probably grasping at straws here.
Anyways, I'm having a blast with this show. Really fun, slick production values, and - to me at least - a likable lead.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote

Hell yeah he is. And the best part is that fight scene with the other priests wasn't even in the manga! That means someone at A-1 realized that they looked similar and made a shout out just because they could.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was good. Damn the high school architecture is so cool. The action scenes were great.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this thing just keeps increasing my expectations and now I want to watch something good... guess it was a good idea to save Deadman Wonderland for emergencies.

Anyway, another great episode. It's great to have him say it out and loud that it's not revenge, because I'm so through with revenges since Naruto ruined the idea of having youngsters doing it.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
Ah, an excellent episode. I'm glad to see Yukio was spoiler[angry with Rin and blamed him for their father's death. Also nice to see that he's strong and won't be a weak side character reliant on his brother's strenght.] Every episode has been better than the last, now we just need Shura to show up already.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
Who says she hasn't? Wink

I'm quite impressed by the quality of this one, every scene they've at least matched the manga and in some cases exceeded it, rather than cheaping out and just pumping product out the door.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Shura better get a lot of love in the second OP, I might be biased but I think she comes in 3rd for "screentime" after she comes into it.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Q^Q it was hard to wait for the simulcast but I did! Episode 3 was excellent. It's been a while since I squee 'd so much. Fan - girl - ing Rin right now QvQ he's so cool~

I had thought based of the last episode preview that Yukio was going to be holding a grudge against Rin but i was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly that was resolved. I was kind of expecting Yukio to be really mad at Rin and hold a grudge and they'd be like enemies sort of for a while, nice to see that wasn't the case. \( ' v ' )/ looking forward for more.

I really love the art style of this. the characters can be cute but it isn't like moe moe cute where the guys can't be cool looking. The guys look like guys, I like that. It's very nice, i kinda want to draw more like it~
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Found a good portion of this episode aggravating.

"Have a good day at work? Do you like working at the grocery store? Got fired? That's too bad. Hey, BTW you're the son of Satan and a font of evil... what, no one ever told you? huh? ....wait, are you upset about that? Sorry. Wait, what do mean you mean you have no idea what being the son of Satan means... I told you about it thirty seconds ago, catch up will you?"

The guy knows nothing, he's been fooled his entire life, told he's a good boy, that's he's not evil or a 'demon' but the split second he's told the truth everyone talks to him like he should know what's going on and act like he's unreasonable to want the slightest explanation.

Yes, Yukio has a right to be upset and suspicious and it would be strange if he wasn't, but Rin has ten time the reason to be angry with the people who basically made a fool of him for his entire life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Yes, Yukio has a right to be upset and suspicious and it would be strange if he wasn't, but Rin has ten time the reason to be angry with the people who basically made a fool of him for his entire life.

I really think Yukio was only testing him. See, Rin's enemy isn't only Satan, but all exorcists as well. His number of allies will be very limited, and if he himself isn't strong enough to make up for that then he might as well give up right on the spot as that'd be less painful for him and wouldn't risk humanity either.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I had thought based of the last episode preview that Yukio was going to be holding a grudge against Rin but i was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly that was resolved. I was kind of expecting Yukio to be really mad at Rin and hold a grudge and they'd be like enemies sort of for a while, nice to see that wasn't the case. \( ' v ' )/ looking forward for more.

I really love the art style of this. the characters can be cute but it isn't like moe moe cute where the guys can't be cool looking. The guys look like guys, I like that. It's very nice, i kinda want to draw more like it~

It's funny how inconsistent the character designs are. Characters like Rin looks straight out of Naruto, while Shiemi looks like she stepped out of Honey and Clover or something. Wink
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

It's funny how inconsistent the character designs are. Characters like Rin looks straight out of Naruto, while Shiemi looks like she stepped out of Honey and Clover or something. Wink

Well Rather than the Character designs I meant how the faces and noses/eyes and stuff are drawn is what I like. it's very nice.

But I'd still have to disagree with your comment anyway ouo / I don't think Shiemi and Rin look like they come from two different Anime. I think it's good to be able to draw characters that look different, different face shapes, eye shapes, and clothing styles to represent each different character is a good trait. Using inking style, coloring style and what have you to pull it together into a finished piece that works is fine. To me I'd rather have this than same face syndrome. =u=

I even checked out the manga a bit too see if there was a problem with it there. But still I see nothing wrong with how they were designed. They don't really clash in my eyes.

^Is what i think anyway. :I IDK, I kinda really liked the fact that the characters all have different characteristics and stuff. /shrugs/ I'm just trying to figure out what about them that makes it seem so inconsistent to you/any one else. I just can't figure out what it is. It doesn't seem obvious to me. OTL
spoony

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist sounded like it was going to be typical overdone shonen faire (like Naruto, Bleach, etc., and all those other 200+ episode shonen fighting shows I can't stand), but so far it's totally surprised me. Rin is really likable; he's not arrogant or overly power-hungry like a lot of shonen heroes, but he's no pushover either. And I'm liking Yukio more now that we're getting some development on him, too. I'm interested to see the brothers interacting more. I really like stories about close platonic relationships--siblings, bromances, deep friendships, etc.

For episode 3, I really liked that spoiler[Yukio came into his own as a character, and I think his reaction to Rin and their father's death was appropriate. ] But I feel like the pacing was kind of off on the whole spoiler[Yukio-hates-Rin thing. The story moved very quickly from Yukio-being-withdrawn to Yukio-is-really-angry-and-aggressive- and-threatening-to-kill-Rin to Okay-it-got-better-now. It's not that the reactions themselves felt wrong, they just moved so quickly that it was kind of hard to swallow. ]

I'm hoping Yukio's attitude remains somewhat ambivalent in the future, since that would alleviate the problem I'm having with it. Though it would be nice for Rin to have Yukio steadfastly on his side, since I think he'll have a hard time finding allies elsewhere.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
Blue Exorcist sounded like it was going to be typical overdone shonen faire (like Naruto, Bleach, etc., and all those other 200+ episode shonen fighting shows I can't stand), but so far it's totally surprised me...

???? but it is. The setting is different and not many demon slaying anime exist (well not of this caliber). So what? The anime still has the rest of the core components of a typical shonen as it should. It's a good show, but the problem is that it's been done before. Moreover, the anime isn't really individualistic so to speak. Where has this show been done? Well like u mentioned- "Naruto, Bleach, etc., and all those other 200+ episode shonen fighting shows I can't stand" I don't get ur logic because guarantee u that you'll fine more similarities than differences between Blue Exorcist and the shonens you hate.

Also, - "I really like stories about close platonic relationships--siblings, bromances, deep friendships, etc." You basically just described almost every shonen anime that has been made.

So......why is it that you like Blue Exorcist? What makes it unique? What separates it from all the other shonens or mainstream animes you hate? Friendship and character development (ur reasons for liking Blue Exorcist) is an aspect of almost every shonen.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
Blue Exorcist sounded like it was going to be typical overdone shonen faire (like Naruto, Bleach, etc., and all those other 200+ episode shonen fighting shows I can't stand), but so far it's totally surprised me...

???? but it is. The setting is different and not many demon slaying anime exist (well not of this caliber). So what? The anime still has the rest of the core components of a typical shonen as it should. It's a good show, but the problem is that it's been done before. Moreover, the anime isn't really individualistic so to speak. Where has this show been done? Well like u mentioned- "Naruto, Bleach, etc., and all those other 200+ episode shonen fighting shows I can't stand" I don't get ur logic because guarantee u that you'll fine more similarities than differences between Blue Exorcist and the shonens you hate.

Also, - "I really like stories about close platonic relationships--siblings, bromances, deep friendships, etc." You basically just described almost every shonen anime that has been made.

So......why is it that you like Blue Exorcist? What makes it unique? What separates it from all the other shonens or mainstream animes you hate? Friendship and character development (ur reasons for liking Blue Exorcist) is an aspect of almost every shonen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8