• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Freshly Baked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
The Naked Beast wrote:
I clicked on the Yakitate!! Japan link out of curiosity recently. How do you make a shounen manga about baking? There are other topics out there but baking? The premise for the story sounds interesting. I watch a lot of Food TV and would like to see how accurate the author is on the details. I hope my nearby bookstore gets an early shipment.

The mangaka is assisted by a good friend of him who's the owner of a pretty famous bakery in Japan. Not all of the bread they make is very realistic, but there are some of you can buy in that bakery.

Yakitate!! Japan proves that manga can be about any subject and still compell the reader. An excellent showcase that not all of it is about Pokemon or Hentai like outsiders tend to think.
It's actually more of a parody on shounen manga than anything.

But cooking manga is popular in Japan. And we do have Iron Wok Jan and Antique Bakery.
Radical Lindsay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The feeling I got from the Cons part of the Naruto review was that the politics doesn't exactly hurt the story or is too terribly bad, but it sure isn't the best part. I got the feeling it was saying it sure isn't great, especially when the entire series is based on fights.

I can definitely see where the Cons part came from. I re-read vol. 10 a lot (since I love Lee and Guy the most, and Gaara a lot, too), but I stop reading when Lee's carried off in the stretcher. Razz I must have read after the fight once or twice.
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Melon bread, perhaps?

Only among otaku and children. Others aren't going to think much of this gimmicky saccharine bread.

Ranma824 wrote:
For anyone with any doubts about the Suzuka property, go ahead and watch several episodes of the anime. At no time did the anime feel like a "harem" style show.

Except the first episode. The anime mirrors the manga in that respect. To doubters I think I would recommend the manga first. The anime has many technical flaws and is a slow starter before it gets good. When I watched Suzuka it became very clear to me that it's the story that hooks us. You get the same engaging story with better art and a better start in the manga.
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Melon bread, perhaps?

Only among otaku and children. Others aren't going to think much of this gimmicky saccharine bread.

Nice idea, but melon bread, although yummy, is as much Japanese as Pizza is Italian.

I actually dug up a lot on bread while I was there.
The idea of bread was never Japanese, although they have made bread into a snack type thing everyone can enjoy with tons of different flavors and stuffings..

Thinking about it, most popular food you’d eat in Japan isn't Japanese anyway.
I read somewhere that sushi was a Chinese idea, Omelet rice is an omelet (western), Tempura is even a Portuguese word, and curry is (of course) Indian.
(A lot of this is addressed in ‘addicted to Curry’ yet another genius cooking manga. I love cooking manga X3)

Bread as we know it, being either a complimentary addition to a meal but can stand alone as well, is an idea from the west, probably first introduced to them by the Portuguese with ‘castilla’ bread (a sweet, lighter bread, goes nice in the afternoon).

Pretty much all Japan ever did with bread is stuff it with things like anko, curry, custard (cream), and put cookie topping like the melon cookie thing on it . They ended up fitting into a role similar to their traditional sweets, the role of a Light, snack-y food you can eat anytime and goes well between meals, like Taiyaki or Mochi.

I think Yakitate! Japan's pretty cool because it's making a real point. Japan hasn't even done anything but improve on the idea of bread, they have nothing that represents Japan.
Even China has those yummy bun things that look oddly like peaches and are steamed in baskets, but Japan….Nothing.

If anything I’d say anpan, but only because I’m a rabid anpanman fan. XP

We’ll see what Yakitate comes up with, but I think it’s almost part of Japan to not have a bread.

I still think Yakitate!’s the best thing since sliced bread ^^ (Pre-sliced bread first showed up in the 1920’s, if anyone’s wondering, by the way ♥♥)

</geek>

Last edited by ShikamaChU on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I clicked on the Yakitate!! Japan link out of curiosity recently. How do you make a shounen manga about baking? There are other topics out there but baking?

Haha, I had the same reaction when I first heard of this title a while back. But all the positive reviews I'm hearing on this thread just convinced me to go snatch this title up next time I stop by Borders.

Besides, Hikaru no Go turned out to be awesome, and at first I was wondering how they would make shounen manga about a board game. Anime smile I guess this competition formula in the hands of an able story teller can be an addictive page-turner no matter what they're competing about. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
CaliSerenity wrote:
Besides, Hikaru no Go turned out to be awesome, and at first I was wondering how they would make shounen manga about a board game. Anime smile I guess this competition formula in the hands of an able story teller can be an addictive page-turner no matter what they're competing about. Anime smile
I saw a copy of Yakitate!! Japan at my bookstore yesterday but held off getting it. I am getting ready to buy a ton of manga next week since my discount expires the last day of the month. I can not wait until next week to get Yakitate!! Japan.

Hikaru no Go is a fun read but I did not get into it that much. I still have no idea how to play the game. I was even considering getting a set at one point. I'd better go dig up the last ten or so volumes of Shonen Jump to find out where I last read.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The final third of the volume is a recap of the early Peach Girl story arcs from Sae's point of view, and while it's engaging in its own right, it also kills the momentum of the series. Not such a great idea when it's still only Volume 1!

I got volume one in Japanese, and I didn't consider the 'Girl Meets Girl' story as part of the main plot, but rather as one of those bonus stories that are sometimes added.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
Quote:
The final third of the volume is a recap of the early Peach Girl story arcs from Sae's point of view, and while it's engaging in its own right, it also kills the momentum of the series. Not such a great idea when it's still only Volume 1!

I got volume one in Japanese, and I didn't consider the 'Girl Meets Girl' story as part of the main plot, but rather as one of those bonus stories that are sometimes added.

Yes, I understand that.

My point was, a side story shouldn't be taking up an entire extra chapter of space that COULD be spent on the actual series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3