• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Offers Nisekoi on English-Subtitled Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
who's turn is it to bring out the Ferrari analogy?
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quick question are PS3s region free BD Players

Nope. They are Region 1 players with respect to non-game stuff (mostly - barring Persona 4 Arena). Sometimes European blu-ray releases will be region free (ex. Battlestar Galactica), but more often than not anime is Region 2. Meaning you need a Region 2 blu-ray player, or a region free player.

getchman wrote:
who's turn is it to bring out the Ferrari analogy?

There's a Ferrari analogy? :/ That's retarded. Ferraris are visibly superior performance machines from the moment you pop the hood (or...technically, "trunk"). Anime is....well....let's just say that a show's production budget is not necessarily evocative of quality. :X

Last edited by Leland Lee on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
the second half of this show was so dumb

they were really pushing this series too, I think they were hoping for oreimo popularity but there literally was no content in the story

I probably won't buy it or wait for more discs released
still waiting for kaiki and nadekos arc, i dont want the other discs
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:

My research shows that the PS3 is "region matched", meaning it is locked to the region you buy it in.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought the article would mention Kill la Kill volume 2 which was just announced as well. It comes with a Making Of DVD! That's awesome, I'm glad their taking the extra discs from the Japanese sets and giving them to us. Although I'd be fine without the Drama CDs. And Considering it was my first Aniplex purchase, I was kind of bummed that volume one and likely all future releases won't have a chipboard box. Regardless of how pointless that addiction would be, at least it would make the price more reasonable. And at least the next release will have five episodes instead of four (it's sad that I'm in the state of mind where that's even a good thing). I suppose it's both a good and bad thing that Aniplex owns the rights to most of my favorite anime. Although I do wish they would release value sets later on including full series, or at least in halves.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:

Quick answer, hell no. Do you really think one of the creators of the format would support a bypass of their own 'features' in hardware they make?

There are very few region-free players for BD on the market. And be careful if you do decide to get one to research it properly. Region-free DVD =/= region-free BD. There are quite a few players that are region-free for DVD but not BD.

The surest bet for region-free is by HTPC playback and using AnyDVD HD. Otherwise one of the few options is the Oppo player which is expensive. Or getting a hack for a different player.

Last edited by partially on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Let the complaining and whining begin...

Every article about an Aniplex product is doomed to this fate.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
1-My post wasn't a complaint. It was financial advice.
2-It is a guilt trip because it's 100% true. Whether they are essential goods is irrelevant - purchase history sets a purchase precedent with clear cut sales projections. Apple fanboys who support their business practice justify that same business practice, denying people the Macs they want. Again, it's non-essential to be sure, but Macs sure do make the lives of people living in art industries a helluva lot easier and more efficient.

Some choose to bitch, moan, whine and complain. Others buy PC's with the same specs as a Mac, then simply dual boot Mac OS X to get what they need without breaking any laws.

People too complain about Aniplex releases for the same reason. Billy Bob has been looking forward to putting Kill la Kill on his shelf for a year. Then finds out Aniplex's prices are too high and unreasonable when compared to other companies. He has the choice to bitch, moan, whine and complain, or seek alternative measures.

All I did was offer a little bit of sage wisdom for those alternative measures. So, unless you're an employee of Aniplex of America who feels that I am somehow threatening your business, I don't see why you would have any issue with what I have to say.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
they're gonna divide a 20 episode anime into 4 separate sets? I was really hoping they'd give us a chipboard box with all the episodes in it, or at least divide it into two parts, but 4?? Anime cry
i'm not sure how much i want this anymore.....
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Let the complaining and whining begin...

Every article about an Aniplex product is doomed to this fate.

I know. I'm just being cynical.

I'm just tired of reading the forum cluttered with price complaints against any Aniplex products by people who seem to have nothing better to do.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
@LokiReed

See Leland Lee's post about cheaper alternative purchasing options on page 2.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@partially

Thanks, oh well back to hoping Toonami gets KLK so I can watch the dub legally then.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I see Aniplex justifying this price if they were releasing 1-12 episodes but not for a mere 5.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I caught this title on CR. It was okay but I sense I'll be able to live out the rest of my life quite comfortably without having to re-watch it.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Was Nisekoi popular enough to warrant a release like this? I thought the show was ok enough, but in the end it was pretty standard harem antics just with the Shaft visual flair. Can't say I would have bought it even if the whole series came out for $50.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6