• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo's Premise, New Characters Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
You know, I can't even really bring myself to get that angry anymore over anything new in this franchise. Kajishima ran it into the ground a decade ago. It's just a little sad.

Is this terrible? Yeah. But whatever. It's already dead. Do what you want with the corpse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fribee1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Can we please just let this franchise die? I get that it's a classic, I love the original OVA, I loved Universe and the movies, but after that....come on.

At this point, can just start a harem bingo game? Tiny genius scientist with wacky quirks. Old fashion sword wielding hard-ass, cheerful best friend with large breasts, bashful classmate, sexy but single teacher.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The Japanese never tacked the TENCHI MUYO WER ERN GERMINER onto Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, that was FUNi trying to exploit a tangential relation between two series by calling it something barely related. It's exactly the same as calling El Hazard by "Tenchi Muyo: War on El Hazard" or "Tenchi Muyo: War on the Sandy Planet" for Photon. Yes I know Isekai actually does have a closer relation to Tenchi than those do since it's actually about Tenchi's relative, but the point is basically the same, that FUNi renamed it to try and market it under their Tenchi Umbrella.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's not a matter of what Funimation titled it. It's a matter that Tenchi was inserted into a show that might as well been on it's own.

With War on Geminar and with this show. The Tenchi connection is there, but it doesn't have to be. As was pointed out earlier, it seems like this was just a show on it's own but some connection to Tenchi Muyo was added to try to sell it to production when all these shows are are just the same old Harem shows that have been done to death, but adding a slim connection to Tenchi somehow makes it more legit. If you took War on Geminar and took out the connection that it was Tenchi's half brother, it wouldn't have changed anything. This series seems in a similar vein. What's the point of having Tenchi in this when it's all new original characters, nothing to do with anything Tenchi related previous, and the art isn't even close to anything else?

While people rail on GXP a lot, at least it tapped into the deeper universe and the backstory of how things became what they were. Sure new characters were added just for the show, but they had bigger connections to the universe than anything this show or War on Geminar would have.

That's why I'm passing on this one. It didn't need to be a Tenchi show, just like War on Geminar. If I want to do the Tenchi Hharem thing all over again, then at least let it expand and see more of the universe and back story, not just try to do the same thing and have some slim connection to the series stuck in there for little reason.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Never seen anything Tenchi, and don't have any interest in it (though I may check out Geminar) but I like these character designs, and at five minutes long It seems like an easy watch.
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:

And again, this is concept art, if you actually look at his final art you will see how good it can be, may not be to your liking, but it is not bad.
And about your thing with animation quality dropping, you'd be very wrong about that, 80's and 90's anime might've had a few good series, but so many series were plagued with bad animation, morphing faces, bad continuity, extremely off model shots, etc. It really has only improved over time...
And truly, go look at the old TM art, that was very generic for the time...

(and if the artist was bad, he wouldn't still be getting work)
(you also sound kind of full of yourself, but that's another matter)

I am full of myself.

I am aware the art is a (very) rough sketch for the concept art, but I don't feel a professional artist should be releasing a messy concept sketch as the first impression of an anime. It's off-putting, in every sense of the word.

I imagine it will be polished in the finished product, but I still don't find the art style acceptable or good.

Yes, old anime wasn't HD, but I was not referring to visual upgrades in terms of technology. I was referring to art quality. The lines were much more bold, defined, not messy, and they were detailed. In modern anime, I often see messy lines and anatomy I drew back in 5th grade.

I've heard the same counter-generic argument a few times now. I don't know if you are just trying to counter me with my own remark because you can't think of your own or if you're an extremely delusional fanboy/girl of modern anime. I think probably both.

Even if the art was good, it's disappointing the characters and story have nothing to do with Tenchi Muyo. They have tried to milk this series for all it is worth, over and over. I don't know why they insist on reusing a title for a completely different anime separate from the original title. They could make so much more bank if they did a rehash of the original.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
fribee1 wrote:
Can we please just let this franchise die? I get that it's a classic, I love the original OVA, I loved Universe and the movies, but after that....come on.

At this point, it's like the Terminator-sequels of anime:
Somebody else buys it at a garage sale, gets so thrilled that they own it now, and then they want to start it allll over again...

Quote:
At this point, can just start a harem bingo game? Tiny genius scientist with wacky quirks. Old fashion sword wielding hard-ass, cheerful best friend with large breasts, bashful classmate, sexy but single teacher.

Well, didn't they actually do that with Negima?
Y'know, he had this number card for his students, and it was "B-7: Rules-obsessed class leader...N-32: Chinese-stereotype martial-arts girl..."
Here, they have Tenchi as the same harem teacher, but he's only got seven, so he can remember them by name.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Soul Tsukino wrote:
I'll pass. Like the last time they tacked the Tenchi name to an irrelevant series and I passed on that to. The OAV plotline has such an expanded universe and background, if you want to do a Tenchi series, why not go from that stuff? Holy crap the adventures of Washu and Naja could have filled an entire series by itself. This is just a pointless money grab to squeeze the name for all it's worth

The Japanese never tacked the TENCHI MUYO WER ERN GERMINER onto Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, that was FUNi trying to exploit a tangential relation between two series by calling it something barely related. It's exactly the same as calling El Hazard by "Tenchi Muyo: War on El Hazard" or "Tenchi Muyo: War on the Sandy Planet" for Photon. Yes I know Isekai actually does have a closer relation to Tenchi than those do since it's actually about Tenchi's relative, but the point is basically the same, that FUNi renamed it to try and market it under their Tenchi Umbrella.

I am sorry there is a big stretch between relating El Hazard to Tenchi versus Geminar, I think you meant Dual instead. El Hazard has literally no connection to Tenchi whatsoever. Zero. Dual is loosely connected in that it takes place in a confirmed shared universe, ala marvel, and in fact its speculated some of the characters could be distant ancestors. Geminar to me is the most related work, even more than Gxp, the MC is the brother of Tenchi, and canon OVA tenchi not crappy Universe version. It also explains the origins of Rhea from OVA 3, and sheds some light on how others see the Chousin, as the gods they are, not the mischief makers of the original. So with Geminar I had no problem with them calling it TM: War on Geminar. Its a canon direct sequel/spinoff.

Also some of you people are a little bit delusional to say the least. First of all, I am irked by the art style, but mainly because its not the classic Tenchi art style. Tenchi aside, the artist draws well in my opinion, and that is probably one of the reasons his artwork is featured in games, manga, and anime. Last time I checked Durararara is highly popular work, and none of you have exactly made a living on your "art", and I use the term loosely.

So in short criticism at the art being used for Tenchi I think is fine, but to say the art is bad is a joke.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:
And the art is hardly generic, just because Yasuda is popular doesn't make it so

I don't feel like researching all of Yasuda's history but:

His AiTM Momo vs his Tenko Kamiyama from Kamisama Kazoku:
http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/character/kawanagare_momo.html

http://www.zerochan.net/514569

Notice the upwardly potruding spike of hair on top as well.

His AiTM Fueyama Touri vs his Anri Sonohara from Durarara
http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/character/fueyama_touri.html

http://durarara.wikia.com/wiki/Anri_Sonohara?file=Anri.jpg

Notice texture of hair as well as cut. Seems like colors only changed.

His AiTM Beni vs his Miyako Hotsuin from Devil Survivor 2:
http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/character/kinojyou_beni.html

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130327195322/megamitensei/images/0/04/Miyako_Hotsuin.jpg

Note the leggings and general expression.

His AiTen "Tenchi Masaki" vs his Kazune Hirashima from earlier in the year:
http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/

http://flamingo-chan.tumblr.com/post/74055461133/hiroshi-kamiya-voices-tower-animes-kazune-hirashima

And I consider that last one a bit more tenuous, probably because a tiny bit of Tenchi Masaki is retained in that character. Character designers have their own style and after a while it looks like they took a body, swapped hair styles, eye shapes, color and all that from the same pot - ie Mr Potato Head.

But it does beg the question why they took the uniqueness of Tenchi Muyo (the girls) and swapped them out for designs popping up all over the place?

Last edited by jibrilmudo on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
I think I'll try to get used to these new character designs...

Same here. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I do hope there are returning characters, though.

I am a bit disappointed that this is the 20th anniversery project, instead of something like a fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA.

what's actually disappointing is that their only 5 minutes instead of a full 30 min ova. its the same thing that happened with war in geminar. was supposed to be a 30 min 26 ep series but for some reason or other the committee decided to make it a 13 ep 60 min ova series. also there are only two ryo-oki ovas. also that series had no plot holes unlike the first one so i kinda doubt there is a need for a new ryo-oki ova. However it would have been interesting if the series was more faithful to the manga.

regardless hopefully this series will answer some questions that was lingering on war in geminar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XSp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Just hoping it doesn't get as bad as Soul Eater reboot. That'd be enough for me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:
Just hoping it doesn't get as bad as Soul Eater reboot. That'd be enough for me.

What Soul Eater reboot? If you're talking about Soul Eater Not that's not a reboot just a prequel/side-story.

Hopefully since Soul Eater is still popular it gets a real Brotherhood-style remake someday still, so we can see the rest of the manga's story.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
TuxedoSam wrote:

Yes, old anime wasn't HD, but I was not referring to visual upgrades in terms of technology. I was referring to art quality. The lines were much more bold, defined, not messy, and they were detailed. In modern anime, I often see messy lines and anatomy I drew back in 5th grade.

I've heard the same counter-generic argument a few times now. I don't know if you are just trying to counter me with my own remark because you can't think of your own or if you're an extremely delusional fanboy/girl of modern anime. I think probably both.

Again, i do agree with you on the story, and the characters, i was just defending the art.
But onto the animation thing again.
First things first, i am currently studying animation, one of the first papers we had to do was whether or not animation has increased or decreased in quality over time, and i can really side with both sides of the arguement.
Sure, like i said in the other post, there were a few really well animated series back in the 90's, but most other tv anime WERE plagued by off model shots, which imo, would not be called quality.
The films from back then however, mostly meaning Akira, GitS, etc, do still have brilliant animation, even by todays standards.
Also, most series back then were a mix of 3's and 4's, whereas nowadays, there are some series that uses 1's and 2's.
Now, about your point on art quality, it might of had good cleanup or get those clean lines, series still do, but the difference is character designs back then were so simple that that was easier to do, character designs are getting a lot more complex now.

Insert stuff about how there are a lot more series being produced now+budget decreases+plus decreased deadlines, etc,etc,etc.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see how the new "Tenchi Muyo" will be received. Some of the posts I've seen...well they weren't happy about it. I haven't seen the new series yet so I can't say for sure. I'd always hope that they'd do a "Tenchi Muyo" that's set in the United States. Tenchi goes to visit his American relatives and his little harem follows him all the way here. Hopefully,they'll do that one day.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how the new "Tenchi Muyo" will be received. Some of the posts I've seen...well they weren't happy about it. I haven't seen the new series yet so I can't say for sure. I'd always hope that they'd do a "Tenchi Muyo" that's set in the United States. Tenchi goes to visit his American relatives and his little harem follows him all the way here. Hopefully,they'll do that one day.

Tenchi HAS no American relatives. He visited his Juraian relatives in the Universe TV series.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Well,they could make them up. Tenchi's got a large family. He could have some American relatives or he could come here as part of a student exchange program and his little harem will find a way to come here and be with him. To be honest with you,EricJ2. I've read many of the earlier posts and many of them weren't exactly jumping for joy over this current installment of the series. They might do that one day. Who knows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4