• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Carb City

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also love me some easily digestible Shounen and Shoujo goodness, but the fact of the matter is, once you get to a certain age, your brain wants more mature stories too. But since there are fewer of us who like that sort of thing (and those of us that do tend to be busy with jobs and kids, and don't buy as much related stuff, by and large) we are something of a niche audience. It's the exact same thing as Hollywood movies, which are predominantly big explodey blockbusters.

There are also a lot of people who will remain with the less-thinky, more actiony shows and comics, who watch movies and TV to unwind and turn their brains off. Seinen and other complex forms of storytelling are for people who like to engage themselves and put their brains on full steam ahead for their entertainment, which I'm pretty sure is a minority.

That being said, shows like The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad are decidedly more cerebral in their writing than normal. Maybe it reflects a changing trend...then again, CSI and Family Guy still dominate ratings.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Girly girls in frills and wielding cute pink and bejeweled weapons, regardless of how ass-kicking they may be, would just never fly in Hollywood. Their outfits would be replaced with black leather and they'd carry guns to blend in with all of the other trash YA out there.

Animated films, yes, frilly colorful stuff can work. Live-action as it currently is, no, though it does depend on the audience. If a Sailor Moon live-action movie were marketed towards children, it definitely can be colorful and cute.

Action movie heroes wearing all black seems to be a trend from the mid-00's and onwards, I noticed. What will eventually happen is a parody of this type of action nero, and it'll change to something else.

mangamuscle wrote:
About the sailor moon movie, I am expecting in the near future that some studio will buy the movie rights for peanuts (we can't say SMC is the highest point of the franchise) and produce an snafu that will make Dragonball Evolution look as a disc worthy of every penny of your money.

Dreamworks already has a CGI Peanuts film in production due for 2016.

No wait, you mean "for peanuts" as in they'll buy it cheaply. That's my thinking pattern when I'm half-asleep.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Dreamworks already has a CGI Peanuts film in production due for 2016.

No wait, you mean "for peanuts" as in they'll buy it cheaply. That's my thinking pattern when I'm half-asleep.

I'm semi awake and I thought the same thing about what he was talking about. Though I thought it was Fox (company, not Megan, just in case) that was making the movie.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
You're right, it's Fox, or more specifically, Blue Sky Studios. It's the same studio that made the CGI Horton Hears a Who!.

Upon checking, it's been bumped up to late 2015. Time sure flies.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I noticed enhanced brightness in some Funi releases, but I think it's not the only problem. Sometimes there is actually more saturation?

Contains spoilers from the last episode of Psycho Pass
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
No lie, I would actually be curious to see if Geena Davis can pull off playing Queen Beryl. She certainly could look the part.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
That first question kind of made me sad since I enjoyed Princess Jellyfish far more than I thought I would and wish we'd see more shows like that. At this point, I try to be grateful for what we do get and make sure I plunk down some money to get a copy.

Yes, Princess Jellyfish was a good show and people should watch it. If you liked Fruits Basket you should like this.

Sailor Moon could never be made into a good movie.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
I may catch a lot of abuse here for saying this but I don't really have a problem with an American version of "Sailor Moon." If handled well,I don't see the problem. I think it would be a good idea. Megan Fox wouldn't be my first choice for the lead role but I think there would be tons of others that would work better. And I think it should be an animated affair,not a live-action thing. I don't it would work in any other setting but an animated one.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
And then, this new brightness problem started to crop up. Except, it's not so much an issue with brightness as it is the "gamma curve" of the image: the black parts are still perfectly black, but everything else gets much brighter than it should be.

This is just a guess, but maybe at some point someone is changing the colorspace between YCC and RGB thinking it is the same thing, when TBT, even if there are 16 million colors, there is no exact match for many colors in the other colorspace. When we add deep color and scRGB to the fray, well, you can clearly SEE how computers can help make a pretty bright mess of everything.

It's an "interesting" problem. I was idly wondering if it might have something to do with a mismatch between the luma coefficients of Rec. 601 and Rec. 709. Even if it's not exactly that, there are so many different kinds of colorspace representations that I wouldn't be surprised if the US and Japanese sides used slightly different kinds of color profiles or something lile that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
-

-

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
At this point, a live-action Sailor Moon movie is about as likely as the live-action Evangelion movie talked about ad nausem about 5-6 years ago.

And would you really want to see it? About as much as a second viewing of Dragonball: Evolution, I'd say!

On a similar note, it's been over 30 years since an Elfquest movie (yeah, I know, Elfquest is not anime or manga) was announced. And we're still waiting... Sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
That first question kind of made me sad since I enjoyed Princess Jellyfish far more than I thought I would and wish we'd see more shows like that. At this point, I try to be grateful for what we do get and make sure I plunk down some money to get a copy.

Yes, Princess Jellyfish was a good show and people should watch it. If you liked Fruits Basket you should like this.
Of course, Funimation isn't doing Princess Jellyfish fans too many favors by only keeping it in print on DVD. Thinking back to the last format transition, I sure don't remember any shows in the late 90s/early 00s being released on VHS and DVD, but only being re-released on VHS.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
It's not about Megan Fox's acting talent: why would anyone think that a clearly grown woman would portray a schoolgirl? Fox can do college girl, but Sailor Moon? You're on Anime News Network! Read the news here, not some site that's "reporting" such things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Of course, Funimation isn't doing Princess Jellyfish fans too many favors by only keeping it in print on DVD. Thinking back to the last format transition, I sure don't remember any shows in the late 90s/early 00s being released on VHS and DVD, but only being re-released on VHS.

That's because most consumers moved to DVD much faster than they did to Blu-ray and the costs haven't fallen to equal. Funi's operating intelligently by lowering costs and putting out something that could be played in any device for a series they had to reduce the LE price of to move all units. No use incurring extra costs for a series that didn't show it would recoup them for a cheaper edition.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
In addition to the change in quality, DVDs were a lot easier to use. No rewinding, no self destruction in the machine and a lot smaller format to store. I think most of us were glad to get rid of our VHS tapes. Going from DVD to Blu-ray is a different story. The Blu-ray players are backwards compatible. The disks are the same size and the play back process is the same. The only real difference is the quality which not everyone cares about. There also seems to be an absence of disk changers in Blu-ray which is inconvenient but tolerable.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I can say I am one person who doesn't care about such things. If it weren't for how they're now packing all the special features of movies and TV shows onto the Blu-Rays, I'd still be buying exclusively DVDs because they're cheaper.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
It's not about Megan Fox's acting talent: why would anyone think that a clearly grown woman would portray a schoolgirl? Fox can do college girl, but Sailor Moon? You're on Anime News Network! Read the news here, not some site that's "reporting" such things.

Dawson casting?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4