• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Year in Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
I don't own the old US release of the show, but from what I can tell my Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs (The 2012 Australian re-release) use the Geneon subtitles. So I have no idea why NISA couldn't have just used those.

Speaking of which, what's the quality of their Love Live release like? The show is being released next year in Australia by Madman and I assume they'd use the same materials so I just want to know what I can expect.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Awesome list Smile I agree with lots of the choices. but, I still can not understand the Love Live popularity one bit.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
"Thanks, bestie."

I wonder what drove them to use that as their translation? Confused

Since the accurate translation should have been extremely obvious as it does use Syoaran's name, I think NISA made the terrible decision to go for something "accessible to kids" so that kids won't be confused by Japan's naming convention and how Japanese address each other.

That's incredibly stupid.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
"Thanks, bestie."

I wonder what drove them to use that as their translation? Confused

Since the accurate translation should have been extremely obvious as it does use Syoaran's name, I think NISA made the terrible decision to go for something "accessible to kids" so that kids won't be confused by Japan's naming convention and how Japanese address each other.

That's incredibly stupid.

I really can't fathom what strange decision or misunderstanding lead to NISA's dropping of the ball on Shaoran's name, but I doubt that it was "making it more accessible to kids". Otherwise, why would they insist on going with his Chinese name, Xiaolang, which is difficult for an English speaking adult to comprehend much less pronounce correctly, the whole half of the series where his name is the super simple, unintimidating "Li"?

I was mostly okay with the dub (even "Sa-koo-ra, but then, the original English dub pronounced it that way too) until the arrival of Yue, whose name they pronounce "Yoo". Not only is it incorrect, but then you have to watch them fumble around the way they talk so it doesn't sound like they're saying the pronoun "you". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Awesome list Smile I agree with lots of the choices. but, I still can not understand the Love Live popularity one bit.

If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Live!#Production, there was a lot of work done to give readers an attachment to the franchise amongst other things. Having voice actors who can sing and actually look like they enjoy themselves in live performances also helps. (Disclaimer, I saw μ's from Love Live! at Animelo Summer LIve 2012 and 2013 and recently watched series 1 of the Love Live! School Idol Project anime on animelab.com).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I was mostly okay with the dub (even "Sa-koo-ra, but then, the original English dub pronounced it that way too) until the arrival of Yue, whose name they pronounce "Yoo". Not only is it incorrect, but then you have to watch them fumble around the way they talk so it doesn't sound like they're saying the pronoun "you". Laughing

Ah, sort of like what happened in the English version of Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, in which Yō Kasukabe's first name was mispronounced that way as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I really can't fathom what strange decision or misunderstanding lead to NISA's dropping of the ball on Shaoran's name, but I doubt that it was "making it more accessible to kids". Otherwise, why would they insist on going with his Chinese name, Xiaolang, which is difficult for an English speaking adult to comprehend much less pronounce correctly, the whole half of the series where his name is the super simple, unintimidating "Li"?

One of their reps actually explained why in their own forum.

Source!

Houk wrote:
Yeah, when we were looking at some of the older materials, there were some spelling inconsistencies even within the official licensor's own stuff. I decided it would be more respectful to the characters themselves to use the commonly accepted Chinese spellings rather than the twice-removed "Chinese-to-Japanese -> Japanese-to-Romaji" renderings.

This might bug some purists, but I think it's a better choice for the character and the product.

The main problem with this is that it caused inconsistency because Discotek, who I believe used Pioneer's sub translation like Madman did, kept his name spelled as "Shaoran" for their release of the first movie (see here).
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
My CCS DVDs (Which, as stated above, I assume have Geneon subtitles) spell it 'Syaoran'. Madman also released the first movie on DVD earlier this year and I believe it was spelt as either 'Xioalang' or 'Shaoran'.

Even more annoying is the fact that the horrible dub is on by default despite the fact they only ever show the subtitled version at conventions and the song in the menu screen is only in the original Japanese.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Re: Cardcaptor Sakura from NISA

questionable subtitles (see here).

"Thanks, bestie."

The HELL?!

Where did "Thanks, bestie" come from? There is no mention of it on that Sailor Moon Forum page that NJ_ linked.

I am just curious about the context in which it was used.
Mostly I am wondering if it is the scene where Meiling notices that Sakura changed from, "Li-kun" to "Syaoran." The significance of that would be nearly impossible to convey to anybody who is not familiar with Japanese naming conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

One of their reps actually explained why in their own forum.

Source!

Houk wrote:
Yeah, when we were looking at some of the older materials, there were some spelling inconsistencies even within the official licensor's own stuff. I decided it would be more respectful to the characters themselves to use the commonly accepted Chinese spellings rather than the twice-removed "Chinese-to-Japanese -> Japanese-to-Romaji" renderings.

This might bug some purists, but I think it's a better choice for the character and the product.

Oh no, don't misunderstand, I LOVE that NIS used "Xiaolang" since it more clearly emphasizes that he's Chinese, and I was always bothered by the "Shaoran" and "Mei Ling" inconsistency in a lot of the CCS materials. But in this weird quest to be consistent they subtitle every instance of someone saying his name, even when they call him "Li", as "Xiaolang", which creates a big issue in the turning point of Sakura calling him by his first name.

My point was just that this obviously wasn't a case of "trying to be child friendly". "trying to be consistent" does explain it, though.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Re: Cardcaptor Sakura from NISA

questionable subtitles (see here).

"Thanks, bestie."

The HELL?!

Where did "Thanks, bestie" come from? There is no mention of it on that Sailor Moon Forum page that NJ_ linked.

I am just curious about the context in which it was used.
Mostly I am wondering if it is the scene where Meiling notices that Sakura changed from, "Li-kun" to "Syaoran." The significance of that would be nearly impossible to convey to anybody who is not familiar with Japanese naming conventions.

It's hidden in the collapsible spoiler in NJ's post.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Best pick - Myself;Yourself
Suuuure it's a 2007 anime, but I guess it's still in the running. I own the Japanese releases, but it's great.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Oh no, don't misunderstand, I LOVE that NIS used "Xiaolang" since it more clearly emphasizes that he's Chinese, and I was always bothered by the "Shaoran" and "Mei Ling" inconsistency in a lot of the CCS materials. But in this weird quest to be consistent they subtitle every instance of someone saying his name, even when they call him "Li", as "Xiaolang", which creates a big issue in the turning point of Sakura calling him by his first name.

My point was just that this obviously wasn't a case of "trying to be child friendly". "trying to be consistent" does explain it, though.

I think localizers have a helluva time trying to accept that many viewers by now (especially viewers who are buying NISA releases?) are comfortable with the "last name = formal" --> "first name = informal/intimate" aspect of Japanese culture. Dub script writers stumble into this, too, and often have to find silly ways to circumnavigate the point.
See also: honorifics.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Technically, while the project was announced first in Dengeki G's Magazine, the target audience has always been high school students, male and female, and they have seemingly kept fanservice and such out of the show so that it may appeal equally to both. Dengeki's Girl-targeted magazine has been just as enthusiastic about the project as the male-targeted magazine. Not surprisingly, as an idol series, many high school girls love the show and carry around bags and such designed with them in mind. It's almost a high school girl's Aikatsu, just without the actual mind-blowing popularity of Aikatsu and a more acknowledged male audience.

Good point. Yeah, I was aware of its huge popularity with women, but I feel like only in the last few months or so, have the licensors been making a bigger push at making "traditionally" female-targeted merchandise, and moving polls away from "who would you want to go on a picnic date with?" to more, "who's your favorite." I'd be interested to see numbers - I wouldn't be surprised if it was 60:40 or even 50:50 male:female. (And if cosplay popularity is any indication...!)
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Stuff like Kill la Kill and Short Piece remind me why I even bother watching anime. For completely different reasons of course. KLK is a passionate embrace of anime tropes and style, while Short Piece paves the way for something new. I've always been interested in anthology films, because despite being comprised of roughly 20 to 40 minute long shorts, they still seem to have more creativity than most complete series/films. Because when you have names like Otomo's backing you up, I guess you don't have to worry about compromising artistic integrity. My favorite was Gambo, followed closely by Possessions (which should have won the academy award!). Combustible reminded me a lot of Princess Kaguya (which I absolutely adored) so it was artistically interesting to me, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to have missed the point of that one. Like, what was the message even supposed to be? Farewell to Weapons was a good one though.

Kill la Kill is still eating up all my money and I almost regret deciding to collect the series. Almost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4