• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Rebecca's Best, Worst, and Most Notable of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
... I assure you that does not carry over into American English. It's a simple statement that carries no ill will and is an attempt to explain why ...

American English is my native language and "neither Theron or Rebecca were backers" does not explain anything to me.
I do not get any meaning from it, good or bad, in the context of why somebody would like or dislike a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon for having the most clever ideas....
not much else to add other than Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun was great and the Theron's best scene of the year was spot on..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the completeness of a series had a bearing on including or ruling out contenders (which might account for the lack of Parasyte?), but if not, I'd have to give Hunter x Hunter (111-148) Series of the Year. I can't recall an anime of any length that gave me such a sense of satisfaction and closure (despite the story still being ongoing...hopefully) as the final episodes of both the Chimera Ant arc and the series. Truly a masterwork.

In other categories, I'd hand a runner up (because I agree with Bahamut) for the Best Opener to Ping Pong's "Tada Hitori" by Bakudan Johnny (and not just for the music, but for the insanely dynamic visuals as well), and Best Closer to all the creepy versions of Flowers of Evil's "Hana -a last flower-" by ASA-CHANG & Junray.

Fall From Grace for me would be Terror in Resonance, which started out looking like it was going to be a top contender in my all time list, and within a few episodes turned to utter shit and is now one of my most hated series, just for the sheer bitter-disappointment factor.

Best Group has gotta be the Kurasuno volleyball team from Haikyuu!! Though there were naturally some cliched attributes, each character is so fully realized that if you replaced the characters in the eyecatches with stick figures, you'd still be able to tell who you were watching by their movements and reactions alone. Very Happy

Rebecca wrote:
I was watching it at my parents' house and my dad walked by as the ending theme came on. His facial expression was priceless – it clearly came out of left field for him, too.

I can so visualize this! Laughing

Good work, guys! Happy New Year!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
pre-post edit: I don't think it's fair to current anime to include anime from past years on the list just because they were finally released here.

Don't see what's unfair about it. Remember, it's not about anime titles created and released in Japan in 2014; it's about anime titles which debut in the U.S. in 2014. Not until recently did the latter become mostly-synonymous with 2014 Japanese debuts.

Megiddo wrote:
Oh, and School Days was available on Crunchyroll back in 2009:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-04-24/school-days-to-be-posted-on-crunchyroll-this-summer

Did you actually see in on CR at that time, or are you just basing on this article? Because I didn't recall actually being able to watch it anywhere legal prior to this year (and I was active on CR at that time). If it really did stream for a while then I goofed and will just count this as a make-up for that year.

Oh, and Gina: Flowers of Evil did stream in 2013, so it's not eligible this year. (I think Carl did give it the award you mention last year.)

Last edited by Key on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
... I assure you that does not carry over into American English. It's a simple statement that carries no ill will and is an attempt to explain why ...

American English is my native language and "neither Theron or Rebecca were backers" does not explain anything to me.
I do not get any meaning from it, good or bad, in the context of why somebody would like or dislike a movie.

I believe what Megiddo meant was that neither Theron nor Rebecca were backers for the Kickstarter, and thus did not get their hands on a copy of the release. (Which I believe has a bunch of extra scenes compared to the mini-series version that's available on Crunchyroll?)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the last episode of School Days on CR when I wanted to get a quick check on Katsura's final words (regarding Sekai's spoiler[pregnancy] for a discussion on another message board I was having. Only thing is I think the Kokoro OVA was never on CR.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
@ Darkmagic,

That does makes sense to me now.
Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, and it is definitely not a nasty thing to say about somebody.
Referring back to the comment that started this.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@ Darkmagic,

That does makes sense to me now.
Thank you.

EDIT: Oh, and it is definitely not a nasty thing to say about somebody.
Referring back to the comment that started this.Smile

Are you sure? I think Megiddo is butt hurt that Theron and Rebecca did not pick Time of Eve as best movie. This would not be the first time that Megiddo has given back handed insults to ANN's staff. .
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
May I ask what became of Carl Kimlinger?
penguintruth wrote:
I must be out of touch because I haven't even heard of half of the anime featured in this column. Sad
Well, you're not the only one! Cool I depend on this year-end column to help separate out the wheat from the chaff!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I rarely agree with Theron but this year we are spot on with the best series of the year as Nozaki was also my number one.

I am also happy to see Akatsuki no Yona get some love. Although I think with it being unfinished it's premature to call it best if the year. I would say along with Parasyte it's the best series continuing into next year.

I don't agree with most of the other choices but that's what opinions are for.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

Both he and Carlo Santos retired from their staff critic positions in 2014. Nick Creamer joined us, which makes the current Staff Critics Theron, Rebecca, Nick, and Hope Chapman.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
nbahn wrote:

Both he and Carlo Santos retired from their staff critic positions in 2014. Nick Creamer joined us, which makes the current Staff Critics Theron, Rebecca, Nick, and Hope Chapman.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glenn Kansas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Iurhb....I want Carl baaaaaccck...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
The closest runner-up on this side would, of course, be another death scene which follows shortly thereafter in the same episode, which deserves special consideration for containing one of the single most disturbing camera angles you'll ever see, anime or not.
With one of the most, if not the most stupid lines afterwards. spoiler[Obviously biology and sexual reproduction wasn't her strong point of study in class. Stupid girl, or stupid screen writer. Rolling Eyes ]
Grail-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Psycho Pass 2 was not placed under "Fall From Grace".

Last edited by Grail-kun on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9