• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga (don't intend to), and it feels rushed in places, even to me. Especially this last episode. Maybe it's because I want 24 episodes though. >.>
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I can more or less guess what's the intended stopping point for the show, based on the opening. And really... I think they are trying to cram close to 80 manga chapters into 12 anime episodes.

It's actually quite amazing that it only feels THIS rushed, as it could definitely be worse.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a great deal of shouting and a couple of vaguely defined plot points, after which everything just sort of works out somehow.

all the episodes.(not literal, some have felt better)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The pacing may have been a bit off before, but episode 9 was the first time where I felt it was actually a problem. Still adore this series, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The series is still managing to be very good despite the pacing issues. Would be so wonderful if they could redo it with the right number of episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 review wrote:
I'm starting to suspect that Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches was slated for around half as many episodes as it actually needs.

Actually I could make the case that it could use three times as many episodes as what we are getting. And should.

Instead of "witch of the week" we should get "one arc per witch" where an the episodes are something like 1-discover 2-chase 3-resolution-and-foreshadow-of-the-next witch. Then maybe a filler here and there. The source material would easily fit in that kind of pacing but I suspect there was some politics and money-driven decisions being made here.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm still loving the series, but I do agree that the pacing is a bit too frantic. Granted, the pacing is frequently frantic in the manga as well, but in the right way.

The manga never seems to rush the story, even when the characters are rushing around full of sound and fury, and frequently signifying nothing. Those moments in the manga are either funny gags or blind alleys that sometimes crop back up later in the story. The story is so convoluted that there is not really any way to fully cover it in the short number of episodes given. It is the type that probably needs at least 50 episodes to fully cover the manga, and at least 25 to cover what they are trying to cover in this season, if I am right about where it will end...

Oh, and Urara is fantastic!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What the heck happened this season? So many of the shows that looked like fun diversions a few weeks ago seem to be running on empty, desperately trying to coast through their last few episodes.

yah, I have a hard time to giviving n recomendations or even "unrecommend" stuff, only arslan and surprisingly show by rock and punch line have become better (nagato yuki chan kind of took too long but all the people I know who are watchign it enjoy haruhi anyways).

in the case of this show what hurts is that the plot is there, it's just that the episodes are so rushed that they make it lose a lot of impact or downright ruin episodes/arcs, I don't remember feeling this way since umineko.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
This is what happens when trying to put 90 chapters into 12 episodes - I noticed the frantic pacing last week and the derailment this week as well. It's almost like we are seeing a Cliff's notes summary in anime format. The show deserved a 2 cour format, but this is what we wound up with instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
I really stand behind my opinion that if you don`t have enough episodes available you make the show as good as possible to get those episodes. After nene everything became really rushed. They could have left some witches for a second seseason, and made the show strong enough to gain a fanbase that made it possible. Instead we get a glimpse of the promise and the only real purpose this anime will serve is upping interest in the manga for those who want the real story.

This season has a few really good shows going, but so many that looked so fun have been dashed by horrible issues as the episodes continued. This season might be a pretty hard hit on some studio staff. Lots of people dropping the ball.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree about your assessment of the soundtrack. I haven't heard such a mis-matched style of music in relation to the mood in such a long time. It literally stuck out like a sore thumb. WoW!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The president's decision to erase everyone's memory of yamada was very shortsighted, and the results weren't difficult to predict either. It's not difficult to figure out that erasing their memories of the guy who helped the witches deal with the problems causing them to be troublemakers would cause them to become troublemakers again. Not sure most of them were troublemakers though. Obviously Noa was, and without the goal of becoming the next president and having to appeal to him (i.e. not cause trouble), Nene could be troublesome, but the others aren't as troublesome. Shiraishi was an honor student and never used her powers before yamada. Sarushima was a truant but that's not really a big deal relatively speaking. The green haired one wasn't the best student but that's it. Asuka is the president's secretary so no issue there. The seventh is apparently a bit perverted but yamada didn't really help her so him losing his memory didn't really affect her. Still Noa and Nene causing trouble is enough to question the president's judgment in erasing the memory of yamada. Either he did so knowing this would happen or was dumb enough not to think it would happen. Either way he shouldn't be president as a result. A wiser president would have made an exception in this case considering the importance of the witches' memories of yamada were to keeping order in the school.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The president's decision to erase everyone's memory of yamada was very shortsighted

Except it wasn't the president, it was the 7th witch. The president doesn't have any actual control over the 7th, and this wasn't supposed to work like that anyway. Yamada's memories were supposed to be erased, but because of his copy ability, it reversed and removed memories of him instead of from him. The 7th is special, and the rules of the other 6 don't work the same way. The 7th power can't be copied at all. Them finding the 7th was supposed to end with the other 6 being saved by Yamada, and Yamada forgetting about it. It would have fixed things from the president. He did not think others would forget instead of Yamada.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I'm not clear why the President remembers Yamada, or his secretary for that matter. Did he leave his book open to the right page in anticpation to fill in his memory? Even if that's the case, he remembers that Yamada was a force for order, and if he made notes about that beforehand, then he wouldn't have been blindsided by the result of everyone forgetting.

I was also confused from the get-go, when he was told that as soon as he heard the name he'd forget everything. It made it sound like anyone who was told she was a witch was instantly memory-wiped. I probably missed a lot while distracted by trying to figure out how that closed loop was going to work out. Smile

That aside, I did enjoy the episode. I kept wanting someone to ask Hiraishi who she thought she loved, since no one, including her, seemed to really know.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 10

I'm not clear why the President remembers Yamada, or his secretary for that matter. Did he leave his book open to the right page in anticpation to fill in his memory? Even if that's the case, he remembers that Yamada was a force for order, and if he made notes about that beforehand, then he wouldn't have been blindsided by the result of everyone forgetting.

sounds like a case of "it happened before"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5