• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Righteously Confident Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would have thought that Light Yagami would be on this list since he is both a protagonist and antagonist.

Light cannot be the antagonist because he stays as the protagonist for the whole series. The story is about his point of view. L is the antagonist. Light doubles as both, an anti-villain and villain protagonist (I tend to see him not as a villain at all), while L is the hero antagonist.

An antagonist is not automatically a villain; an antagonist is a person who confronts the protagonist as an enemy.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
brace625 wrote:

For some reason I feel like Gilgamesh should have been on this weeks The List. He has every reason to be confident and his overconfidence is his downfall.

He's an antagonist. If we'd count antagonists, the likes like Aizen or Madara would be there.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
About the Poll:

So the most attractive (read: rocking) facial hair, ha? There was this one Titan in Shingeki no Kyojin

Mike Haggar from Final Fight was a titan??? That shoulda made it MUCH easier to take care of the Mad Gear Gang!

The new poll is silly. (Voted for Vlad Tepes, AKA Dracula)
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll, while I voted for Vlad Tepes, I was tempted to include Rider from Fate/Zero as a write-in because of that glorious chin-mane I like to think of as "The Conquering Amish". Great stuff.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
MOD NOTE: personal attack removed. If you can't correct someone or disagree without being an enormous jerk about it, don't waste your time on our forums.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to see Natsu Dragoneel on the list. Nobody does cocky better. But maybe he doesn't rate as a protagonist.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Looking at last week's poll results, I'm surprised that Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan beat out Resurrection 'F'. And I'm also disappointed, but not surprised, that the non-Z movies didn't chart. (The Path to Power is my favourite pre-Battle of Gods movie. Sad)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Best facial hair easily goes to Vlad Tepes (Alucard) of Hellsing Ultimate.

Now that you mention it, Alucard should've been on the List as well. Hard pressed to think of anyone more righteously confident than he is, and can back it up every time. While Anderson was literally righteously confident, he was actually an antagonist, and he got his butt kicked.
azul120

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would have thought that Light Yagami would be on this list since he is both a protagonist and antagonist. In Lelouch's case, I think an instance where he genuinely realized how dangerous/bad he's become is spoiler[Shirley's death].

I'd say it was a whole season earlier . For that and other reasons he wanted to keep Shirley far, far away from danger. I'd also add that his arrogance wasn't so much from being royalty but a case of He Who Fights Monsters.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
Instead of Dio, I would have placed the main character of Kaze no Stigma here.

Seconded that Kazuma from KnS merits at least consideration for this list. I can't think of any protagonist who has annoyed me more with his smarmy superiority complex, and he's certainly ungodly powerful.

I'm also a little surprised (but not disappointed!) that Kirito didn't get mentioned, given how much people complain about him in this vein.

Agreed in both points. Probably time to rewatch Kaze no Stigma. Never finished Kirito's anime. There's also the protagonist of Scryed. I don't think defeat ever crossed his mind.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Why did someone add Chaika to the list? Laughing

My vote went to Hercule from DBZ!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
That's a plurality, not a majority!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Dio Brando is a protagonist? Of what anime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Best facial hair easily goes to Vlad Tepes (Alucard) of Hellsing Ultimate. I mean... just look at him *A*

I'll second Alucard. He definitely deserves to be on the list.

For the longest time, I've always been obsessed with this thought or idea, A man above all others, one superior in every aspect bordering a divine entity yet human at the same time with human struggles. I'm not even sure why but its something I've been actively looking out for. Maybe just the idea itself is fascinating so I'm always on the lookout. The only character that has ever met my criteria would be the aforementioned Shiba Tatsuya. I'm glad to have read this article if only to know that another person out there acknowledges his peerlessness.

My personal pick would be Griffith from Berserk.

Episode 15 of BERSERK wrote:
It's a foolish thing for me as a man to say and yet, he seems as though he stepped forth from a painting. Beyond All Others. Perhaps we have fought by a hero such as the like of which comes only once every 100 years. A commander beyond all others...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Now that you mention it, Alucard should've been on the List as well. Hard pressed to think of anyone more righteously confident than he is, and can back it up every time. While Anderson was literally righteously confident, he was actually an antagonist, and he got his butt kicked.

Yeah, he belongs on the list too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6