• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Pacific Rim Sequel Halted Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digritz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Apparently somehow people still aren't aware how successful Pacific Rim was overseas. It made plenty of money for a sequel.

Made plenty of money for a sequel? A sequel to what?

Pacific Rim was an original idea and just broke even when you consider marketing and theater fees. Yes it was in the top ten for highest grossing original ideas but the $190 mil needs to be doubled to reflect total cost.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved Pacific Rim, but I think it works fine as a single movie. Not everything has to be a franchise. Admittedly, I did kind of want to see that Godzilla crossover Del Toro once mentioned, but that was unlikely to happen anyways.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
$411 world wide on a $190 budget is not plenty of money after advertising it probably lost money especially with $111 million of that WW gross coming from China where the studios see at most 30%

It was probably Hollywood accounting.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted a sequel so we could get some robot fights during the bright daylight and on land. It's not like the writing or characters were particularly well done, but it was just a good fudgin' time at the theater, in LIEMAX. Sorry, you can't catch this thing at home and have the experience be the same. I hope none of you did that.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
*stays off Tumblr for the rest of the day*
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I loved Pacific Rim, but I think it works fine as a single movie. Not everything has to be a franchise. Admittedly, I did kind of want to see that Godzilla crossover Del Toro once mentioned, but that was unlikely to happen anyways.

Jaegers vs. Godzilla would have simply been the two Team Mechagodzilla movies....The NEW ones. Evil or Very Mad
It's not like we want more of those, do we?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted a decent monster movie and I could never figure out why he put all those mechs in it. Giant monsters fighting giant monsters, it's pretty basic.

Also, drop the numbers and name them. And then make one of them Godzilla while you're at it. They're still doing that? Carry on.

But license the giant turtle Gamera as well. Forget the whole Kong thing, go turtle power!

Pacific Rim was a stupid, stupid movie, poorly structured and plotted with some of the worse bloat a film about robots punching giant monsters could have- any would be kind of pointless- a film that couldn't even manage to be as fun or direct as Godzilla versus Megalon in that regard. No sequel? No problem.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Pacific Rim was a stupid, stupid movie, poorly structured and plotted with some of the worse bloat a film about robots punching giant monsters could have- any would be kind of pointless- a film that couldn't even manage to be as fun or direct as Godzilla versus Megalon in that regard. No sequel? No problem.

Yes, but they cancelled the Apocalypse! Even if Godzilla talks with Idris Elba's voice its not the same! Laughing
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this has not been a good year for del Toro projects Crying or Very sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
How's it not a good year? We still have Crimson Peak.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk: Pacific Rim made money. It just didn't make the big money. And that's what counts in this biz.

Ushio: Hellboy 3 won't happen, no matter what, because it's too dark, to have broad appeal.

Marcus: I imagine the reason Tron 3 didn't happen is they had no idea where to take it, next. Tomorrowland had nothing to do with it.

mrsatan:
Quote:
But for some reason that Akira movie just has to be made?

Yes, because it's probably like the Fantastic Four situation. If they don't make it, then they lose the rights. And to studios, it doesn't matter if a project's feasible. They don't like giving it up to a rival, unless they have to.

Crow: No, I have a feeling if Nolan is interested, it'll happen this time. They're deluding themselves into believing he can turn anything into box office gold, though. I personally think he's one step away from heading into mid-2000s Shyamalan territory.

Eric: If nothing else, you should appreciate the boost he gave to mecha anime.

Anime:
Quote:
I just wanted a decent monster movie and I could never figure out why he put all those mechs in it.

Because that's what classic series like Go Nagai's Mazinger Z and Voltron did?

walw: Crimson Peak ain't going to make the big money, though.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

The entire point of big blockbusters is to sell merchandise and with Star wars and Marvel, Tron becomes superfluous.

Aw come on, I woulda totally bought a talking Jeff Bridges figure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
If ya guys read the source article, it's all about a power play.

Here's some excerpts:

• Several sources say there has been strain, in part because [Legendary's] Tull kicked off the deal in 2014 with a couple of clunkers that he put through Universal's distribution system and then upset some at the studio who feel he has indulged a bad habit of wrapping himself in credit for hits that he merely helped finance. In this case, the film at issue was the biggest movie of the year to date, Jurassic World.

It's still early days in the relationship between Legendary and Universal. But things got off to an inauspicious start as the deal required the studio to distribute two existing Legendary-backed films: Michael Mann's $70 million Blackhat, which was released in January and grossed a paltry $17.8 million worldwide, and Seventh Son, a $95 million-plus fantasy that reached only $111 million worldwide. (Universal lost no money on those films but spent manpower on releasing them didn't relish the association with them.)

Legendary wanted to produce a sequel to del Toro's Pacific Rim, which was made under the Warners deal and turned into one of those films that grosses a lot ($411 million worldwide) while being so costly that a follow-up isn't a sure thing. Sources say Legendary liked that the original performed exceptionally well in China, where the company is heavily invested, but for now the project — which had been ramping up to make a release date in August 2017 — has been halted indefinitely and will be pushed back (if it gets made at all).

Sources with ties to both Legendary and Universal point out that the deal between the two was engineered by NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke just before the ouster of Adam Fogelson as Universal's film chairman. Burke was said at the time to have been enamored with Tull's company [Legendary] and to have promised him nearly unfettered access to Universal projects (minus Fast & Furious, Minions movies and Ted). Universal had no major financing partner at the time, and though it was showing signs of life with Fast & Furious 6 and Identity Thief, it also had costly disappointments like R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin.

But after Universal's record-setting year at the box office, says a person with knowledge of the situation from the studio's perspective, things have changed: "[Universal studio chief] Donna Langley is ascendant and carrying far more weight with [Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman] Jeff Shell, Burke and [Comcast chairman and CEO] Brian Roberts than [Legendary's] Thomas Tull. That was not Thomas Tull's plan." And given Universal's dazzling run, says another person close to the studio, "They have the right to be really selective. They're riding on top of the world right now."

So Legendary definitely thinks Pacific Rim 2 is worth it despite the costs because it gives them access to lucrative China where they're investing heavily, but Universal is now being a lot more selective since they're not hurting for hits anymore and thus no longer need to depend on Legendary as before. While nobody really loses money on these high-grossing things.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Guillermo´s name is the kiss of death for a project about half the time (he even has 2 dead games to his name) and i am not sure that we needed a sequel and not another big budget Kaiju movie that improves on the flaws of PM (the prequel comic was pretty lame btw). That said i liked it more than the new Godzilla which was a badly cast cock tease. Justice League Dark is next....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: To me, it sounds like Warner and Legendary think they can make a better buck betting on established properties with name-recognition, like Godzilla and Kong. And Uni doesn't like the idea of a production company helping one of its competitors, while, at the same, cashing in on Jurassic world. So it just let Pacific Rim 2 go, so Legendary would be forced out of the fold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5