• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Pacing of the adaptation is actually nice but repetitive.

This series is one of those that will test the viewers' patience including me. Otherwise, they keep adding insert songs into it. I like them but feel like it's kinda repetitive. The random fan service and ass shots are....eh...yeah, get used to them. It's actually face palm worthy after watching it for three episodes straight. The episode concentrated roughly 8-10 minutes on "what's right or wrong about peeking" and Haru being conscious about the girls. Hope they're not trying to be funny with this show like that every week.

I kinda like this week's episode in way but not impressive either. Above average. What I really did like from the episode is the relationship of the two girls. They have a sisterly bond.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[The usual peeping problems LOL
Their party sure is pathetic..
At this rate they're be poor & miserable forever.
Looks like hope hasn't died just yet.
The plot is pretty slow.
Mystery of their arrival has so far been neglected.
Dropping it.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
"Boy Manato, we sure need you! It would suck if you died or something!"

Geeze Haru, way, to jinx a guy Laughing

I actually found the reaction to the peeping kind of refreshing. It wasn't over the top, the uninvolved guys apologised and were forgiven and Ranta got punished because he obviously wasn't sorry.

Haru's later actions were amusing but understandable. He's a teenaged boy, after all, so he's going to be curious and tempted. Thankfully he showed some strength of character in not giving in to those temptations.

But apparently Yume wouldn't mind even if he did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
But apparently Yume wouldn't mind even if he did.

Are you sure? That was the most confusing spiel I've ever heard a character utter, to the point where I truly felt sorry for Haru having to endure it and try to figure out where he should agree or apologize or just keep quiet and let her ramble on. It was like the "what do girls want" trope to end all "what do girls want" tropes. :/

Probably just an artifact of scene switching, but the 6 am bell rang 8 times. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
That's why I said "apparently" Laughing
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
episode three

This may actually be my favorite episode so far. I really liked the idea of trying to find satisfaction in their grim work by finding reasons to also do things that feel more productive, such as their detailed mapping of the ruined city.

Also, this episode did some subtle work on something I felt needed to happen, especially since they keep piling death omens on poor Manato, and built up our main character as a leader. The episode is full of little moments of him connecting with and even successfully directing (in limited fashion) the other characters. This would places him in a position to be trusted as a leader when whatever doom seems to be heading Manato's way finally arrives.

Though, I'm not actually convinced Manato will actually die. Him leaving the party seems inevitable, but there may be another reason for it. Something about Manato has always put me ill at ease. There was some potential foreshadowing within his conversation with Haruhiro where he claimed he'd never thought about ditching them.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't have pegged it beforehand, but this is definitely the show I'm enjoying most this season. After each episode finished I'm finding myself waiting in rapt anticipation of the next one. This ep was no exception.

I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but I actually liked the whole getting peeped on thing. Before it happened the other boys' reactions to it were great, because it was clear they were surprised that he thought it was a good idea to do something like that. Like it's one of those moments when you're talking to someone and you realize that your values are actually different than yours. And the fallout was interesting too, especially the make-up conversation between Yume and Haruhiro. It was kind of strange and awkward, but it really showed the way people smooth things over after a conflict, because this is something important for humans to do, especially to maintain group cohesion. It also gave some hints that Yume might like Haruhiro.

If I were to guess based on what we've seen here, I'd say that Manato was probably a hikikomori on earth, since he said he had no expectations of befriending or socializing with anyone. And when Shihoru reacted to the breast comments by saying she was fat, my best guess is that on earth she actually was, and that this is the source of some of her issues.

What's fascinating me the most now is that these guys are essentially brigands. They earn their living by ganging up on these goblins, killing them, and robbing them. Even though the goblins aren't human, they're obviously people in that they make tools and have language. And it's our party that's always the aggressor here. They ambush and kill these guys while they're just filling their water bottles or sleeping. Now, it seems like there's a history between the goblins (and other monsters?) and humans, but we haven't seen any of that directly yet. I guess what I'm saying is that these guys killing the goblins and taking their shit is no better or worse than the goblins raiding villages. I'm not blaming these guys for doing what they have to do, but it's certainly interesting and I hope this issue gets more play later on (I think it will).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I find myself keep pausing it, because I feel like there is some real things being said in all these scenes that would usually just be past over.

The animosity over the peeping would usually resolve quicker than this, and it does kind of give the impression of Shihoru overreacting, but it really feels more than that. Rather than a thought of "the boys are in the dog house now", it feels like there is really something wrong. It seemed to go past any type of anger at being seen, she looks far too embarrassed to be looked at and it is causing problems for herself.

And Yume, we see her stumble over words several times in the episode. She miscalls the word "goblin", she gets a saying wrong, and has an awkward time explaining her thoughts to Haruhiro. You could take it as just moe or say that she is frustrating, but she herself said that she is aware that she is bad with words. I can see that she probably actually has some self loathing over it. Her more energetic behaviour is quite possibly based on hiding her problems with poor speech skills. I am not sure if I should say it, but she is afraid of being seen as stupid.

I think it is easy to write Ranta off as a bad guy, but I think it is some problems with understanding. My theory last week was that the reason he suddenly decided to peek was to get his mind off of everything, and I think it still holds. I would hold it that its why he refuses to apologise by bowing like the others, he is stressed and has no idea how to relieve that stress, unlike how he might appear he is quite fragile, and refuses to be "defeated" because it would hit him hard. But in the episode you can see that he does feel remorse, he did not understand that Shihoru would take it so bad and he is feeling bad for what he did.

If you think Haruhiro is a "bad boy" for being tempted like he was, then maybe you don't understand what it is like to be a teenage boy. I can certainly sympathise with the temptation to peek, not in a gross usual anime way, but you have a lot of strange feelings around that age. You can fully respect the girls and no that it is wrong, I would say that it is natural to feel tempted, and to then have your morality win over because you know it is right, you are not the type of person that would do that to another. This is not a "boys will be boys" sort of thing where you would forgive the guy being a pervert or something, the important thing was that he did not do it, wanted to inform the girls that if they are concerned about modesty something they should know, and got in the way of Ranta.

And Manato, it feels like we really are starting to peel a bit into what is making him tick. For all the good social work he does for the group, he seems to strongly feel he would typically have a hard time.

And for thoughts about it being slow, a lot of things actually do happen. It is not so much about kill a certain amount of enemies and get really strong, so many of the scenes are us finding little pieces of characterisation and the characters making small successes. They were having a real hard time in having to kill and making money earlier, but they are taking their first steps at being sustainable. It is probably hard to appreciate the success of a new pair of underwear until you spent almost a month with just one pair. Just something we take for granted in modern society and would become a bit of a deal in their situation.

Don't know how much I might have said it before, but this series is relevant to a couple of my interests. I became interested in some form of role playing in games when I read an article where someone tried to play Skyrim as a mundane NPC. And I kind of appreciated the nuance of those game worlds that you could actually treat like you are living in it, and that when you do you kind of notice in these fantasy setting how much you overlook what you would think. I had a totally different experience of Skyrim when I had it mind of having a bed to sleep in each night and a fitting meal at the right times. And I have been keeping a diary to keep track of the experiences and events of a Fallout 4 character, with a list of role-played events, including food eaten. I want character growth to be more than just a level.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Well that was kinda interesting.

It looks like the characters learned new skills to make them more durable and useful from their guilds. With such a diverse range of specialties like warrior, mage, hunter, healer, etc, I think this party is actually becoming a nice group. Although based on the battle, they did take quite a toll after facing some stronger goblins. Poor Manato, I feel bad for him...(for some reason, there seems to be a death flag on him in the first half).

This show really likes to use music as well. Album release when?

Anyways, it goes to show how dangerous their fantasy world environment can be when not careful. And finally no more awkward lewd jokes for a change. I think this might be my favorite episode. RIP Manato. Death is a reality in this series.

Quote:
Manato is our...our....friend

Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, no surprises here. Now we'll have to see if Haru can manage to pull the group back together.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
episode four

Despite some teasing about Manato perhaps abandoning the party by choice, it seems death was his exit from the team after all. I think death was better set up than betrayal, but the latter could have been an interesting twist. No complaints though - the episode did a great job with it. In particular, the shot tracing the path of his ashes flying through the air was really effective, and a bit surprising when you consider how relatively stiff the camera has been in this series.

Also, it seems they've really made a full blown pattern out of the soundtrack-only segments. It's a delightful touch and I'm really enjoying it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's insensitive of me, but when Haru released the ashes I was all "Hey wait a minute. A whole human makes more than just one handful of ash!" Where did the rest of him go?
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Maybe it's insensitive of me, but when Haru released the ashes I was all "Hey wait a minute. A whole human makes more than just one handful of ash!" Where did the rest of him go?

You weren't the only one thinking that.

Manato's had a looming death flag above his head for the last two episodes, so I wasn't surprised when he kicked the bucket. I was thinking that he should have learnt the 'Resurrection' spell but that wouldn't have really helped him much. The biggest problem for the group now is that they are strategically lacking a healer, so there's now a space for another.

What I really liked was how the Goblins set up an ambush for the group. They've learnt after the death's of many of their kin, the groups patrol routes and adapted themselves to combat them. It does make you really think that the whole world is alive and breathing after all.

Yume, as best girl, please learn how to use your bow. That is all!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
There have been a number of death episodes within the past few weeks, some of them on "daily death" shows like Schwarzmarken, on long termed death flags like Iron Blooded orphans, this one strikes some interest at least in the nature that the death matters to ALL the cast and not just say "my maid who was like a sister to me" just died.

As always, it comes down to how the scene plays out, the death came from a moment of literal self sacrifice, had they tried to tend to Manato's wounds right when they were fleeing the whole group might be the walking dead within a week if the priest is to be believed.
The other part of course is that EVERYONE gets there moment of reaction and they seem honest be it rage, disbelief, and every other assortment of raw emotion.

It is one thing to have a death scene, it is another to make it have proper impact other than a flat delivery of "this is an important event, you should feel the emotions".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Not entirely unexpected, but it hits hard. As much as there were hints for us, it hits the characters suddenly, and it is the fact that they kept hope as they dragged his lifeless body back to the head priest before a single look telling them that it is in vain.

Dying in a game can be pretty easy, but the consequences of that are usually fairly minimal. Some RPG even allow resurrecting fallen party member by taking them to a chapel, this was certainly the sort of trope the series was trying to use when going there. It perhaps should have been seen coming as the situation was becoming a bit of a game to them, that this hits them back to the reality.

I must also say him being a vanguard was something that made me think he was not fitting his role. Or is that he could not quite trust the rest to just do his important role? Maybe not entirely connected, but I was playing an RPG recently, I kind of made the fatal mistake that my party member responsible for causing status effects important for taking down a boss had been used too much as long range attacker and run out of almost all energy. It led to a boss encounter that I could not beat, and would get penalised if I did not run. Ironically that situation was from focusing too much on who I consider my leader who is a supporter with healing moves. I don't think I have a lot of point to it except in these game like things that everyone can do their job, not putting some
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8