• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Wrong With Fan Translations?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I ask this because half of Steven Fosters sentai dubs are really bad in the liberties he takes, while Aniplex of America tends to have quite poor translation quality as people who watched more then a few episodes of Charlotte can atest to, Heck Fate/Zero has a whole list of questionable subtitle items that people hated.
Foster no longer does anime work, from what I remember.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Foster no longer does anime work, from what I remember.

That is right, he retired last year.
Also he was not a translator so he was not really relevant here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I love this line "Fans imprint on the first thing they saw". Especially when it comes to names. Ever see an Attack on Titan fan refer to Levi as "Rivaille"? Fan translations getting it wrong because they can't check with the creator. It stuck around for a really long time, too.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10

*cough*

Last edited by Kamon on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Poor companies, getting hate-mail...

If the company tranlation policy and guides are wrong (like it's Crunchyroll's case), a good translator will be fired because it's not his/her translator quality what determines if he/her will have or maintain the job, but his/her adequacy to the policy.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Since we're talking about fan translations, I'll just leave this here. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/User%3AKaido_King_of_the_Beasts/Hall_of_Mangapanda
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

I know DiscoTek tried to make Mazinger Z and Shin Mazinger Z in different titles to differentiate between original and remake.

From what I understand (they said in a Facebook response) "Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact! " ended up as the title because Dynamic Pro told them that was the title and that was the end of it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
I'm still expecting to see a fan sub one day that is so an*l about sticking as close to the literal meaning of the Japanese as possible that it simply puts the entire original Japanese dialog in romaji on the screen. And then I'll die with laughter.

TV-Nihon's Zeta Gundam movies are what you're looking for. Be prepared for a huge helping of kisama-yatsus.

Not like I'm blowing over official translations, but there's always something about fan translations that hold certain charms. For one, the people don't treat it as a job (for the most part) and are more than willing to go above and beyond to show their skills beyond the bare minimum. Typesetting is a good example of this. It's also good practice if you"re looking into doing video tech or pro translation along the line. Gotta start somewhere. Even if you end up leaving the scene, you at least got some productive work out of adding lines in a foreign cartoon.
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
and then you get official english-subs from the japanese licensors like these:

(these are from the official japan-only Macross Plus Blu-Ray edition from Bandai Visual)

other samples, including comparisons to MangaEnt's original english-subs (Neil Nadelman) here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111078130676326961372/MacrossPlusSubsStuff?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOW0jJ74lN-rTQ&feat=directlink

Makes you wonder how/who they hire as translators (professionals???) over there in japan for these...

Very Happy
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
I'm still expecting to see a fan sub one day that is so an*l about sticking as close to the literal meaning of the Japanese as possible that it simply puts the entire original Japanese dialog in romaji on the screen. And then I'll die with laughter.

Actually, as a Japanese language learner, that would be extremely useful to me (moreso if it was hiragana though).

Anyway, there's another factor which isn't really discussed in the article, which is that licensor input can be as much curse as blessing. There's the obvious issues, like Togashi's frankly insane official name romanizations for Hunter X Hunter, but there are other issues which are regularly hidden from the audience.

One of my close friends is a professional Japanese -> English translator who does a lot of freelance manga work. She has many times been required by the licensor to make changes to her translation that don't make sense, that are flagrantly worse, or that otherwise damaged the final product. Sometimes this is because Japanese executives are sure that they know what's best for the American market and feel like they need to micromanage, sometimes it's to be consistent with a previous translator's work, but she's on multiple occasions expressed frustration to me that she may never be able to ship a translated manga volume that she can point to with pride as being her work, because her hard work is constantly being interfered with. On one memorable occasion, she really fought the client over some changes they wanted, and they agreed with her that her version was better, but still didn't change their mind about wanting the changes.

Of course, this is all the more reason to not send hate mail to the translators; for all you know, they may very well agree with you.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Do fansubbers still do that thing where they fill the subtitles with F-bombs and swearing, even if they're translating a kid's show? That used to annoy the hell out of me.

The quality issues in fan translations is what eventually made me give up on fansubs completely. It wasn't so much poor translation (although there's plenty of that-- in particular they've got a bad habit of mangling made up names and western-sounding terms due to hearing them filtered through Japanese accents) as certain stylistic conventions, such as not translating attack names or keeping words like "ne" or "baka" in Japanese for no apparent reason.

Then there's the issue of jokes. I much prefer the usual professional approach (if you can't translate it, just replace it with something that gets the same idea across) to having to pause to read translator's notes on the screen.

My thinking on this has always been that if you care so much about purity that the puns can't be altered and you want your subtitles randomly peppered with Japanese phrases, just learn Japanese and cut out the middleman entirely.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember the confusion around the name of one character in Monster. The anime fansubbers started off with Schubert (no idea how the manga fans handled it), then eventually changed it to the intended Schuwald. It didn't help that the anime showed a poster with it written as Schubert.

The source of this problem was that the katakana (シューバルト) was sourced off the German pronunciation, (roughly, Shoovalt) which then ran into trouble with both the interchangeable Japanese b-v and l-r pairs. So Schubert was not at all an unreasonable translation (and it was supported by the damn poster).

The anime also showed Braun's name as Brown spoiler[(on his gravemarker)], probably because they were more familiar with that spelling.

And then there's that whole Alucard/Arucard controversy. To this day, there are people who insist on the latter as being the One True Name.
TBY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Then there's the issue of jokes. I much prefer the usual professional approach (if you can't translate it, just replace it with something that gets the same idea across) to having to pause to read translator's notes on the screen.

My thinking on this has always been that if you care so much about purity that the puns can't be altered and you want your subtitles randomly peppered with Japanese phrases, just learn Japanese and cut out the middleman entirely.

Uh, how long has it been since you watched any subbed anime at all? These days, it's the professional subs that keep the random Japanese, whereas fansubs are more willing to localize.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
There's also NIS America's translation of the new Cardcaptor Sakura blu-rays that bug me too, where Sakura clearly says Syaoran's last name, but his first name is translated on the subtitles, completely changing the context of a later issue with this in the series.

I see this with official Gundam subs when Build Fighters was on YouTube, all it does is confuse casual and entry level viewers. Then there are mistakes which blatantly contradict what was on screen, my favorite being that infamous rape line in ep 23 of Cross Ange, oh boy did Anime Suki called and pointed that out what should have been translated to "took" or "steal", especially since the scene in question was clearly consensual. Laughing
Paiprince wrote:
TV-Nihon's Zeta Gundam movies are what you're looking for. Be prepared for a huge helping of kisama-yatsus.

Hey, I remember those! I never knew making kids sit in one place for a long time was considered a punishment. It is translator notes like that which gives fansubs a certain charm. I learned quite a bit about cultural snippets from those.
Flah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Back in the day when I used to read scanlations all the time (I was younger, I didn't know better), I came across one of Fushigi Yuugi. The first few chapters were passable. And then, right about the same time a new character was introduced, things went downhill.

For the first few pages, it was only the new character talking, with horrible broken English. I was sure that the translator was being clever and trying to carry over the mangaka's intent of the character not knowing proper Japanese. And then the other more established characters started talking, with the same bad English.

Now that I think about it, that's about the same time I stopped reading scanlations.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Sometimes this is because Japanese executives are sure that they know what's best for the American market and feel like they need to micromanage

That's really cute, especially when said execs generally don't know a lick of English themselves. XD
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15