• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noragami Soundtrack 2 Cancelled Due to Islamic Sound Samples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What could be sacred about sounds? Unless there are singers clearly pronouncing holy names or prayers, than it's just a tune. I don't get it. I hope they consulted with an actual expert and didn't just make a decision "just to be safe."

It's pretty obvious even as an outsider that all of these people individually recognising the material used in the song isn't a coincidence. To a Muslim familiar with the original it might be extremely recognisable, even though it just sounds like a lovely chant to people who haven't heard it before (which is probably what the composer thought too; I imagine that professional musicians habitually look out for lovely sounds without necessarily knowing everything about their origins).

Imagine being the original creator of Noragami, or someone on the staff working all-nighters to make a product for people to enjoy, then learning that one tiny element of the show is ruining everything they've done for some viewers. If you can easily avoid insulting someone else's culture and still maintain the quality of the show - as I'm sure they will - why not do the right thing?

Last edited by Lupica on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What could be sacred about sounds? Unless there are singers clearly pronouncing holy names or prayers, than it's just a tune. I don't get it. I hope they consulted with an actual expert and didn't just make a decision "just to be safe."

I just listened to the track, its basically auto-tuned Adan(prayer call) and it has holy names in it.

I think Taku Iwasaki saw "أذان.mp3" and thought it was an ancient arabic song or something.

They could have brought me and by nasheed band to help them lol
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

And there is the pronounce of Islamic holy names.
CeruleanDragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Someone earlier mentioned that the composer basically used the entire call to prayer synthesized with auto-tune. I can understand if it's considered extremely sacred why they would want to just avoid the issue, but I don't really understand what exactly makes it so sacred. I remember Eureka 7 sampling Amazing Grace in one of its opening songs, which sounded amazing, and as a Christian, I didn't find it offensive, but hymns aren't typically considered sacred.

To anyone that is more familiar with Islam, is it offensive because it is an actual prayer? Is it not supposed to be spoken outside of the actual call to prayer? I guess I'm just not understanding completely. Sorry. ^^;
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
People can identify actual words from prayers in there. So this is legit. It doesn't make sense to have (very monotheistic) Islamic prayers in a show about Japanese gods, anyway. That just makes it doubly offensive.

On another note, why is Jewish music not cool enough for anime soundtracks? It's always Latin Christian stuff or Islamic prayers. Where's the anime Klezmer music? Razz

On the other hand (imagines moe girls in Hasidic garb)...never mind. Anime hyper
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
If the track used the adhan, then Allah and the Prophet are mentioned in it several times. This is not just a call to prayer, it is also used inside the mosque right before the congregational prayer. The names mentioned in the verses are very sacred in Islam so this is obviously very profane for Muslims.

As a Muslim I appreciate the fact that they're atleast showing consideration for the religion (although it's pretty obvious this is more out of fear than actual discretion), it still baffles me as to how little research some artists do for their work. I'm pretty sure the guy was just trying to integrate an Arabic vibe in the track but out of all traditional Arabic music etc, he could have gotten his inspiration from, he just had to choose the most distinct and well-known holy verses in the Muslim world.

Last edited by Sacred Blood on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
CeruleanDragon wrote:
To anyone that is more familiar with Islam, is it offensive because it is an actual prayer? Is it not supposed to be spoken outside of the actual call to prayer? I guess I'm just not understanding completely. Sorry. ^^;

Basically - yes, it's offensive. In fact, it can be considered an insult to religion.
CeruleanDragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
To Sacred Blood and WANNFH, thanks for the clarification. Smile
Shirohae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
OMG This is the stupidest shet ever! This is why I don't follow any god damn religion! NOTHING happens when you put a "HOLY RELIGIOUS" sound in a song UGH!!!!
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On another note, why is Jewish music not cool enough for anime soundtracks? It's always Latin Christian stuff or Islamic prayers. Where's the anime Klezmer music? Razz

If it counts, Donna Donna was used very memorably as a piece of background music in Shoujo Kakumei Utena. In that particular case the usage fit the theme of the song and it wasn't just being used as a decoration.

I think in general Christian imagery is more well-known, not least because it appears in so many big Hollywood films. That's why these misunderstandings appear with cultures that aren't so familiar to the average Japanese (or western) person. This is simply a case of a composer from a cultural background which has historically freely borrowed ideas from other cultures accidentally hurting one of those groups with a misstep. It happens, and how people react to being told they've made a mistake is the most important part.

People are calling out Islam in particular but there are dozens of reasons a series might be recalled or adjusted, from copyright concerns to unsuitably raunchy material or mistakes. Heck, many companies regularly rework television shows before their BD release anyway since they have more time to clean them up when they aren't busy with airing deadlines, so there's not much point in being a purist about the television version when the creators themselves rarely are.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
CeruleanDragon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Someone earlier mentioned that the composer basically used the entire call to prayer synthesized with auto-tune. I can understand if it's considered extremely sacred why they would want to just avoid the issue, but I don't really understand what exactly makes it so sacred. I remember Eureka 7 sampling Amazing Grace in one of its opening songs, which sounded amazing, and as a Christian, I didn't find it offensive, but hymns aren't typically considered sacred.

Yeah. I personally don't really have a problem with people quoting the Bible even if it's God's Word (It may not be considered sacred in the same way as the particular Islamic prayer is). Rather than Japan trying to be politically correct for the sake of being politically correct though, it seems like they are trying to protect themselves from an incident like what happened to Charlie Hebdo. Which is ultimately understandable, but annoying that it has come to this.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
OMG This is the stupidest shet ever! This is why I don't follow any god damn religion! NOTHING happens when you put a "HOLY RELIGIOUS" sound in a song UGH!!!!

Comments like this are more offensive than this OST incident.........
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ZaYDgH123 wrote:
Shirohae wrote:

As a Christian, albeit a terrible one, I'm hardly offended by the existence and opinions of atheists lol. But let's try not to get too off track.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
ZaYDgH123 wrote:
Shirohae wrote:

As a Christian, albeit a terrible one, I'm hardly offended by the existence and opinions of atheists lol. But let's try not to get too off track.

okay, its not like he offended me so much, but it offended me more than this "accident" xD
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Sacred Blood wrote:
it still baffles me as to how little research some artists do for their work.

You must be new around here, as someone else said, Japanese manage to misinterpret english on a regular basis (we call it "engrish") and that is a language they are teach at school, so I bet there is no one with comprehension of arabic or farsi lives within several a hundred kilometer radius from OST author of Noragami. Also, this is not limited to islam, as any christian who saw Fate/Stay Night; nor limited to Japan, as we have seen in several hollywood blockbusters (like the last Indiana Jones flick).

BTW, this kind of incident is nothing new, centuries ago there were some european artists that drew images of the holy virgin with using arabic words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10