• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Engrish Titles Only Sometimes Get Corrected For America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The Testament of Sister New Devil and Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, though they make sense within context (more or less) have really bizarre, head-shaking names.

No Game, No Life felt like it was a few words shy of a proper title. Fate/Stay Night and its variation iterations suffer from the same issue imho.

Diabolik Lovers More, Blood bugs me to no end for its nonsensical comma placement.

Dramatical Murder, E's Otherwise, Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Blast of Tempest: The Civilization Blaster, and the movie SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next come to mind as well.

I love a lot of these series regardless of their silly names.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere"

What's wrong with this? Unless it's supposed to be "in" in place of "of." Then again, I'm hardly an expert in prepositions. Shit's confusing.

I'm fine with Engrish. What I am not though is when sequels come out and they just add weird symbols. Sometimes it's as inoffensive as a period, but then you get crap like double musical notes, @$$% or just single letters. Makes it really hard to look them up.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Dramatical Murder, E's Otherwise, Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Blast of Tempest: The Civilization Blaster, and the movie SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next come to mind as well.

I love a lot of these series regardless of their silly names.

Dramatical Murder and Guilty Crown sound natural to me. They'd fit in with your typical young adult fiction or movie. Beck: MCS also isn't as awkward as it looks at first. I've heard crazier band names that could go toe to toe with Engrish and they're not Japanese bands either. The rest I pretty much agree.

EDIT:
A few titles spark to mind for funny sounding Engrish. Legend of the Galactic Heroes already sounds like a mouthful in English, but look up its German translation straight from the show, Heldensagen von Kosmosinsef. It would drive a purist mad.

Mobile Suit Gundam sounds weird once you put more thought behind the title. What's so mobile about a suit?

Macross: Do you Remember Love? Timeless classic, but your title sounds goofy regardless.

Fafner in the Azure: Dead Aggressor Yep, I'm not even going to try to justify this mangling of grammar and syntax.

Fang of the Sun: Dougram The Sun bites. I know.

NieA_7 Made hilarious with its subtitle: Domestic Poor Animation.

Selector Infected Wixoss alongside its sequel Selector Spread and the upcoming Selector Destructed. A syntax nightmare of the same level as Fafner.

Oreimo in English is both wordy and stupid, as is most LN titles. I'm glad we just abbreviated the original Japanese title.

And much more.

Last edited by Paiprince on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
"The Testament of Sister New Devil" is irritating (more than just awkward-sounding) because the "new" is supposed to be describing "sister" (the "shinmai" in the Japanese title being "new (younger) sister") not "devil". Anything with "new" before "sister" would have made more sense.
Beltane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the author of No Game No Life was inspired by the corporate slogan of Tower Records in Japan, which is "No music, no life.", and that's how he came up with the title for his light novel series.

Snow White with the Red Hair is awkward, but I've seen much worse than that.

Blood Blockade Battlefront is pretty all right. It has a nice ring to it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's pretend there's a giant manga otaku who also writes his or her own manga series, but is American.

Let's pretend instead there's a group of 4chan users who set out to write a doujin visual novel about cute disabled girls, and manage to give it a Japanese title whose archaic and insensitive terminology effectively translates to "Cripple Girl". Annnd… go!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Not sure if it counts, but I'll always have a soft spot for the localized name of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. The original title is apparently a nigh-untranslatable pun, so whoever was in charge just straight up made their own pun-tastic title for the west: The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior
A few of the other examples mentioned upthread were originally puns that were either left untranslated or translated way too literally. The Testament of Sister New Devil originally had the word shinmai (literally "new rice", meaning "novice"), except with the character for "rice" replaced with another one that's also pronounced mai but means "little sister" (why anybody thought that "sister new devil" sounds better than "new sister devil" is beyond me). Show By Rock!!, as mentioned by someone in that show's episode review thread, is a pun on the Japanese word "shōbai", meaning "trade" or "occupation" ("Occupation: Rock!!"). I've also always assumed that Gosick was one of those puns on two English words that's only accessible through their Japanized pronunciation (e.g. To Love-Ru, which is a pun on "love" and "trouble" via the Japanese pronunciation "toraburu"), but I'm not familiar with that series or its author in the slightest, so don't quote me on that.

Selipse wrote:
Also, I'd like to see more japanese titles by an english author now (japanish? neewhongo?). The example given was a bit boring, and engrish titles usally get the structure and grammar wrong, not so much words.
Two examples spring to mind. First: Daikatana or 大刀. Obviously derived by sticking together the morphemes dai ("great") and katana ("sword"), even though the former is a Sino-Japanese word while the latter is a native Japanese one, and those don't usually form compound words together. Incidentally, 大刀 is a real Japanese word that can be pronounced as either daitō or tachi, and its meaning is simply "long sword" rather than "The Great Sword" or whatever.

The second example I remembered is technically not the actual title, but since it appears on the logo I believe it's fair game. It's Bennett the Sage's internet show Anime Abandon. The word "abandon" is translated in the logo as 捨てる, which is a verb whose primary meaning is "to throw away", making the whole phrase basically mean "to throw away anime".

As for what to call this phenomenon, well, if you don't mind the name being rather insulting you could derive something from a certain slang term starting with a "w"...

Edit: @invalidname How the heck did I not think of that example before the others?! Although to be fair, the name was given by the Japanese artist who drew the original concept art that inspired the game, who probably did it as a (rather insensitive) joke and never actually intended to produce a game and market it under that title. Still, a little lexical research would have gone a long way.

Last edited by vonPeterhof on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an anime title, but it is still my favorite engrish moment, though if it really did happen is up for debate.

We Pray for McCAuthors's Erection
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more a problem when titles sound correct, but they just missed on connotation in a big way. There's been multiple shows I've come across now where the title sounds like it's possibly a fetish show, but the actual show is anything but, but from the title I nearly didn't watch. Bodacious Space Pirates' title sounded like that, but moreso is Maria the Virgin Witch.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I always felt like Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere works in a perverse way, since Horizon is a character and the locations are generally floating ships or islands.

Pretty much every variation of super dimension has never made any sense.

Special note for Schwarzesmarken which is in blatantly incorrect German but made an in-universe excuse for it by saying the name came from Russians.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Not sure if it counts, but I'll always have a soft spot for the localized name of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. The original title is apparently a nigh-untranslatable pun, so whoever was in charge just straight up made their own pun-tastic title for the west: The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Ah, I love that show. But, I can never remember the full romanji or english names...so it either ends up being Kawaisou or Kawai Complex. Laughing

As for "Engrish", the one that immediately came to my mind is a show currently airing - A Tale of Worst One. For some reason, that name sticks in my mind more than Chivalry of a Failed Knight.

Now, for a manga, one of my personal favourites doesn't have the best name. NG Life (which some people think is No Game, No Life whenever I mention it) sounds weird on its own. But, in one of the extras at the end of one of the volumes (can't remember which), it's mentioned that the NG = No Good. So, I'm unsure if I'd actually like the manga to be No Good Life or NG Life...Laughing

Either way, I don't believe the title describes the manga's story at all.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Most of what I can recall offhand have already been mentioned, so I'll just have the Department of Redundancy Department present: the Legend of Legendary Heroes... though I understand this is the actual title in japanese too.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
One word. Bodacious Space Pirates.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with that title.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
Let's not forget the infamous "Clannad" Rolling Eyes

"Clannad" is not Engrish as it's not an English word. It is, from what I've read, a butchering of some Celtic word (so Irish/Welsh/Gaelic, don't remember) meaning "family".
actually, it's not even a proper word, it's a title of an Irish band which got their name as a contraction of "Clann As Dobhar" (the family from Dore). the creator mistook the name of the band to be the Irish word for family. that's actually been admitted officially.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
One word. Bodacious Space Pirates.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with that title.

It's grody to the max.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
The Testament of Sister New Devil originally had the word shinmai (literally "new rice", meaning "novice"), except with the character for "rice" replaced with another one that's also pronounced mai but means "little sister" (why anybody thought that "sister new devil" sounds better than "new sister devil" is beyond me).

Based on the content of the show, both readings are correct, which is an advantage of the pun. The girl is both a new "little" sister of the hero and a novice devil. Ignoring the pun, the literal title would be "The story of a (the, my?) new younger sister a novice devil", quite an awkward wording.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6