• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think Nagisa's advice to the girl will get her through school, but she'll never make any friends that way.

Considering all her classmates made it pretty clear they didn't want to be her friend in the slightest, I think she'll be fine for now. The bullying showed while she was talking about it was extreme even by high school standards, though that might be lost on non-Japanese viewers due to the particular kind used.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
That was extreme? They trashed her desk. It seemed pretty mundane compared to the bullying I've seen in other anime, or heard about irl both here and abroad.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was extreme? They trashed her desk. It seemed pretty mundane compared to the bullying I've seen in other anime, or heard about irl both here and abroad.

Again, the significance is lost on non-Japanese viewers. The most important part was actually the vase with the wilted flower in it. In Japan, a flower is placed on a student's desk if they've passed away as a way of mourning their passing, making their desk a memorial, so to speak. When placed on the desk of a student who's still alive, though... Well, you get the idea.

The desk defacing also implies that most of her classmates, if not all, were compliant. Each individual statement was probably from a different student. This is also supported by the looks of hatred directed towards her from all directions while she was taking the test.

It wasn't just that she was being bullied; as far as she knew, everyone in the class wanted her dead.

Physical bullying isn't necessarily uncommon in Japan, but for the most part, Japanese bullying is primarily psychological.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
No, I got that, plus the dead frog. I still stand by what I said. People telling you to die isn't as extreme as people beating you up every day. That's not to say it doesn't take its toll as well.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, I got that, plus the dead frog. I still stand by what I said. People telling you to die isn't as extreme as people beating you up every day. That's not to say it doesn't take its toll as well.

It is definitely more of a slow-burn, as opposed to the more direct forms; however, I would say the lasting damage on a psychological level could be just as bad, or even worse, depending on the victim. I guess I just meant that it's extreme for that age, as that level would be uncommon even in high school for that particular kind of treatment.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

If someone's beating you, then they obviously want to beat you. If nothing else, you make someone happy by existing, even if it's as their punching bag.

If everyone's telling you to die, then you're not loved or wanted at all. It means that they can't even stand your existence, that there's no way that you could make someone happy. That sort of consistent degradation of self-value is far worse.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope the rest of this plot arc is presented with slightly better lighting.

agreed, if this were another show, I would not even be able to tell if irinia was naked and abused or if she was wearing a clownsuit, since I was barely able to make out her head.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep Review wrote:
The chemistry between Irina and Karasuma wasn't especially strong in the first season,

Well gee. I do recall at one point he put her in an arm lock and frog marched her out of the school auditorium. What does it take anyway? Some girls are just too demanding.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Sensei hasn't gotten much screen time this season, which is a shame since he's far and away my favorite character.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Romantic issues aside, I felt like this episode was far too rushed and abrupt in general. It was kind of awkward, though perhaps that's just because I've read the manga, so I knew what was coming and was thus not surprised by it.

To be fair, that's not necessarily the Anime's fault, as I was unimpressed by this particular arc in the manga, as well.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Paul wrote:
Speaking of the Reaper, the revelation of his creepy skinless face seems oddly unnecessary. It doesn't make for a significant plot twist, and it actually makes him a less intimidating opponent than the calm, smiling villain that demolished Class E last week.

This was exactly my reaction when the same thing happened in the manga. It was incredibly disappointing to see a well-hyped, intimidating villain jump the shark into a budget Red Skull laid low by a nutshot.

At least Karasuma got to look cool, though.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode, I thought Karasuma's fight with the reaper was awesome as well Cool although I did find the faceless bit weird too. The camouflage gear really came in handy as well and I did find it strange that Irina was so surprised when the reaper betrayed her, but oh well it was nice when Karasuma gave Irina the flower Anime hyper and they things seem back to (or even a bit better than?) usual.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
the reason a lot of things may seem rushed is that they are trying to stick even more of the manga into this season than I thought. I thought they would finish the season with the reaper encounter but now we're going to be able to see Kuro-sensei's past arc (which is absolutely amazing in the manga, hopefully the anime lives up to that). I am super looking forward to episode 9, expect to see something amazing nurufufufufufu
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
I think that original author can't help his fondness for creepy images (just remember his Nogami Neuro). Maybe he just want to point that Reaper is not a cold-just-business-assassin, but a psychopath who's found a job while doing the thing he likes most: killing people.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Geez, Nagisa's mom.... and I thought every student at that school other than the E Class was bad....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10