• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Polices Anime Copyrights?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
^Both of those companies also happen to be super strict with their youtube channels in general as well: since late last year PC's videos have all been region locked, and the Aniplex channel doesn't even seem to exist, despite the fact that it says it was active 2 days ago. Bandai Channel is region blocked but Bandai Visual isn't. In contrast, companies like Warner, Universal, Lantis, Toho, King Records and Kadokawa put trailers, previews, MV previews, tv size ops, hell even the entire music videos, up on their channels with no apparent region restrictions.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
^Both of those companies also happen to be super strict with their youtube channels in general as well: since late last year PC's videos have all been region locked, and the Aniplex channel doesn't even seem to exist, despite the fact that it says it was active 2 days ago. Bandai Channel is region blocked but Bandai Visual isn't.

Do these companies that region block so heavily realise that they are not endearing themselves to overseas fans?

Contrast with say Lantis who not only have the Lantis Global Channel on Youtube but did several overseas concerts in 2015 more to reach the fans than to make money.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Do these companies that region block so heavily realise that they are not endearing themselves to overseas fans?

Since both Pony Canyon and Aniplex have overseas departments, I'm guessing they intend to have separate videos for these other regions (and may be blocked in Japan).
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Pony Canyon, but in Sony's case it sure looks like nitpicking. The YouTube version of the OP for Hataraki Man has no music because Sony entered a take-down notice. The Mononoke ED received the same treatment; now it's gone entirely. Both those songs are about a decade old now, and it's hardly like fans are breaking down the gates to buy them.

From what I can tell, Pony Canyon routinely blocks pretty much anything from North America. Usually when I go to watch an OP/ED and see the "not available in your region" notice, it's licensed by Pony Canyon.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
As it was said in Spider-Man, having great power means great responsibility. I think Japan should be a lot more open about fair use. They also have to realize that eventually their copyrights expire, though trademarking the titles and having merchandise for a public domain work is a way they can keep a grasp of that work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3