• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses My Hero Academia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
This is super exciting news. I adore the manga, and knowing that the anime will be affordable when it eventually gets a home video release is really nice. I'm also pleased to know that there's a good chance that Funimation will produce merchandise for this in the same way that they have for AoT, Tokyo Ghoul and a large number of other series. It'll be cool to have that sort of stuff to help promote the series.

CrowLia wrote:
Expected, given how they snatch pretty much all BONES series, but still annoying. It sure would be nice to be able to watch my most anticipated shows legally Rolling Eyes

I can empathize. That's my feeling whenever a series streams exclusively on Hulu or Viz Anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Anybody else feel the text went by a bit too fast? Still, pretty neat what they could extract out of the first chapter's worth of content (which I assume will comprise the first episode).

killjoy_the wrote:
This has everything going for it to be a hit in the West so I sort of expected it. A dub is probably going to happen too.

Ideally, it'd be on Toonami too. I think it would fit right in.

Animeking1108 wrote:
What annoys me is that MHA hasn't even aired yet and it already has an English license, but it takes "Hunter x Hunter 2011" four years to even get picked up by an English distributor, but months later, still have no information about the dub or when it'll get released.

For that, I think it's because the dub for the first Hunter x Hunter anime bombed, so every company became apprehensive about picking up the second one.

That, and Yoshihiro Togashi's "Great Hiatus" meant everyone knew this second attempt at an anime would be incomplete.

bs3311 wrote:
Hm a company crying that they don't have one punch man gets this and hypes and advertises that this is one punch man without giving a ziltch of the japanese presentation of the trailers. And we can at least scratch out the .01 percent chance that a cast could be made of child actors since everyone seems to have given up on putting that type of effort since 2014.

There are a lot of extra laws when you use child actors. The more child actors there are in a production, the bigger the hassle it'll be to comply with all of those laws. FUNimation could do it for the first Fullmetal Alchemist for one character. To do so with most of the main cast is suicide.

Nakurawari wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
There's a few... logic flaws?... in the premise. "What if you're born one of the 20% quirkless?" Become a caped crusader? Like that Batman guy no one ever heard of?

Right from the start, I was thinking "Well, someone didn't see the Incredibles" because if everyone was super then no one would be super... but 20% without powers, that's completely different. Then I watched the trailer...

"If super is normal then anyone can become a hero." No, I'm done even before I've begun. "If the spirit is willing then anyone can become a hero." There, fixed it. Also, wasn't that Tiger and Bunny?

I didn't even like One Punch Man but at least that went the "unwilling" route.

This trailer, and the Japanese version slightly misadvertise what the series is about. You shouldn't write it off based on that.

Yeah, this trailer is pretty misleading. It makes it sound like Midoriya is going to charge into combat as a normal kid when, by the first chapter, spoiler[he inherits super-strength from All Might, though he still makes minimal use of that power]. Midoriya's real talent lies in his quick wits and ability to analyze on the fly.

By the way, the ability to create cool gadgets to use in battle is considered a superpower in this series.

Gemnist wrote:
Would be cool. I'm thinking they'll go with Ian Sinclair though, just saying. Beyond that, I also predict Maxey Whitehead as Izuku, Clifford Chapin as Katsuki, Tia Ballard as Ochako, J. Michael Tatum as Tenya, and Micah Solusod as Shouto.

Yeah, if this was Viz, I could easily see Johnny Yong Bosch as Tenya Ida just using his Ichigo Kurosaki voice. Viz uses Bang Zoom too, and Bryce Papenbrook could've fit a lot of different roles in this series.

I do wonder who will be cast as Tsuyu. She's such an awkward-looking character, but oddly cute at the same time.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
I am so excited for this- the manga is the new love of my life and I was rooting for a good dub. I would like it to be broadcast dub too. Even though those kind of dubs have been hit or miss, I think that when they get it right they get it right (eg. Blood Blockade Battlefront and AssClass.)

Plus the broadcast dubs that are rather less than subpar are for anime that were poorly recieved subbed, like Dance with the Devils or the otaku teacher one. I doubt MHA will suffer the same fate with how anticipated it is.

Ali07 wrote:
I've seen people bemoaning this here and on Twitter...though I'm not sure as to why...?

Based on what I've read on Reddit- it's the streaming quality. Funimation apparently has a bad rep for having poor frame rate, color and hard subbing. Plus, how they limited their streams to specific countries.

I honestly never really had a problem with quality as long as I get my anime, but of course not everyone feels the same way.

Gemnist wrote:

Would be cool. I'm thinking they'll go with Ian Sinclair though, just saying. Beyond that, I also predict Maxey Whitehead as Izuku, Clifford Chapin as Katsuki, Tia Ballard as Ochako, J. Michael Tatum as Tenya, and Micah Solusod as Shouto.

I'm leaning more toward:

Patrick Seitz, Ian Sinclair, or Chris Sabat as All Might

Aaron Dismuke, Josh Grelle, or Joel McDonald as Izuka

Bynn Apprill as Ochako

Todd Haberkorn as either Mineta, or Kacchan (Chapin is a good choice too though)

Monica Rial as Tsuyu

J. Michael Tatum is the only man who can play Iida perfectly. If it's not Tatum then I'm eating my foot.

Todoroki is hard to pin down for me cause he's my favorite. But I can see Todd, Chapin, Solusod, or Grelle.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
If Gran Torinonisn't voiced by Kevin Conroy, it's a waisted opportunity!
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Nakurawari wrote:
I wish Crunchyroll had gotten it, but hey, at least it'll most likely get a dub now. Also, am I the only one that despises the font Viz use for the English title? I think it looks really ugly.

"One Piece," "Fairy Tail," and "Attack on Titan" are owned by Funimation, but those are on Crunchyroll too.

What annoys me is that MHA hasn't even aired yet and it already has an English license, but it takes "Hunter x Hunter 2011" four years to even get picked up by an English distributor, but months later, still have no information about the dub or when it'll get released.

I listen to the English Shonen Jump podcast, and they literally talked about the HxH 2011 dub this week... although the bad news is that voice actors have still not been cast yet.

That's because the rights for all those shows you mentioned aren't exclusive. In this case, the MHA rights are exclusive to funimation. There had been quite a few popular shows that funimation simulcast that crunchyroll didn't get.

As for Hunter x Hunter, I've heard rumours of a bidding war. Despite the fact the old anime bombed, i'm sure a lot of companies were still very interested in having the 2011 anime, considering how well it did in Japan, on crunchyroll, and boosted sales not only in Japan, but also in the US.
Of course the risk is still there, but I doubt it was that big a risk that it scared off every anime distributor in the US for 3-4 years.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

bs3311 wrote:
Hm a company crying that they don't have one punch man gets this and hypes and advertises that this is one punch man without giving a ziltch of the japanese presentation of the trailers. And we can at least scratch out the .01 percent chance that a cast could be made of child actors since everyone seems to have given up on putting that type of effort since 2014.

There are a lot of extra laws when you use child actors. The more child actors there are in a production, the bigger the hassle it'll be to comply with all of those laws. FUNimation could do it for the first Fullmetal Alchemist for one character. To do so with most of the main cast is suicide.

Also the One character they did it with in FMA had no flaps, he was a suit of armor. Working with Child actors is hard enough, trying to get them to do the mouth flaps would be torture.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
Josh Grelle as that guy.
Aaron Dismuke as that other guy.
Caitlin Glass as...

You know what? I got nothing. Roll the dice.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I have but one thing to say:

PATRICK. SEITZ. AS. ALL-MIGHT.

Make it happen, Funi.

Izuku's too old to be voiced by a female voice actor. I was thinking either Josh Grelle or Austin Tindle. Whitehead can voice either Izuku as a child or Mineta (or Greg Ayres if they want a male voice actor).

I'd also have either Micah Solusod or Justin Cook as Bakugou, either Alexis Tipton or Bryn Apprill as Ochako, Chris Sabat or Patrick Seitz as All Might, J. Michael Tatum or Jerry Jewell as Iida, and either Eric Vale or John Burgmeir (using his Kurama voice) as Todoroki.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Izuku's too old to be voiced by a female voice actor. I was thinking either Josh Grelle or Austin Tindle. Whitehead can voice either Izuku as a child or Mineta (or Greg Ayres if they want a male voice actor).

I'd also have either Micah Solusod or Justin Cook as Bakugou, either Alexis Tipton or Bryn Apprill as Ochako, Chris Sabat or Patrick Seitz as All Might, J. Michael Tatum or Jerry Jewell as Iida, and either Eric Vale or John Burgmeir (using his Kurama voice) as Todoroki.

While Izuku is played by a guy in Japanese, I still think his voice is too high-pitched for us American guys (he sounds like Junko Takeuchi as Naruto). If a guy were to play him though, it would probably be Grelle. Chris Sabat, meanwhile, is just too gruff for such a role, and Vale has too much of an adult voice. I like all the others you mentioned though.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Funimation saw the anticipation on the anime and grabbed that licence, can't wait to see who they cast (although I've got my fingers croosed for Patrick Seitz as All-Might Very Happy )
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Still didn't stop companies like ADV, Sentai or GKIDS for at least trying. We had the greatest of dubs from Monster Island (Nadia) for the cast of 2 child actors as main characters of all people. And I didn't even specify how many would need to be cast by child actors for the show of Hero Acedemia. So quit adding fuel to the flame stating its suicide when I didn't even give a number equating to said statement.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
As for Hunter x Hunter, I've heard rumours of a bidding war. Despite the fact the old anime bombed, i'm sure a lot of companies were still very interested in having the 2011 anime, considering how well it did in Japan, on crunchyroll, and boosted sales not only in Japan, but also in the US.
Of course the risk is still there, but I doubt it was that big a risk that it scared off every anime distributor in the US for 3-4 years.

A bidding war? If that's true, Yoshihiro Togashi must be a real envy of other manga authors. He gets to take breaks of well over a year at a time, and instead of getting his manga canceled, it gets an anime adaptation with localization companies and distributors caught in bidding wars. And all he has to do is nothing.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also the One character they did it with in FMA had no flaps, he was a suit of armor. Working with Child actors is hard enough, trying to get them to do the mouth flaps would be torture.

That's a good point too. Also, from what I can recall, Aaron Dismuke's family has a bunch of actors in it too, so he knew what to do. It was comparatively easy for him.

I remember reading about how Peanuts productions are done behind the recording booth, and it looks like it tests everyone's patience. They have to set up a school within the studio with teachers, and since it's multi-grade, assignments and homework are tailored for each kid (which is very expensive to do, and jarring when the kids finish and return to regular school). When they do the voice sessions themselves, they are recorded a few words at a time, which is why you sometimes hear weird pauses in the dialogue.

The commentary for Finding Nemo also had a brief mention that it was tough to find a child actor who could act convincingly. If Pixar, with Disney's help, finds it hard, it must be extra-hard for something like FUNimation.

bs3311 wrote:
Still didn't stop companies like ADV, Sentai or GKIDS for at least trying. We had the greatest of dubs from Monster Island (Nadia) for the cast of 2 child actors as main characters of all people. And I didn't even specify how many would need to be cast by child actors for the show of Hero Acedemia. So quit adding fuel to the flame stating its suicide when I didn't even give a number equating to said statement.

How many would you propose then?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
First time hearing about this but the trailer looked nice and as a dub fan Funimation having this title makes me even more excited! Look forward to watching this once is released on bluray Anime smile

Yeah, hopefully this is one that gets a simuldub. Since I haven't read the manga, BONES + Kuroda doing the adaptation is making me excited for this.

Hope they follow up this announcement with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress as well.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

How many would you propose then?

Easy, around 4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3