• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Taku Kishimoto, Scriptwriter for Usagi Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Last volume tankobon of Usagi Drop comes out later today. The issue of Feel Young (Usagi Drop serialization) which the final chapter 55 was included in supposedly sold out quickly and scans never hit the web. Most people are probably basing it on a translated summary of the chapter posted on 2ch. Unless it was a 2ch troll or the author changes the ending in the tankobon, it will be confirmed or denied in the coming days when people begin to acquire their copies of volume 9.

A large part of me is still hoping it will indeed turn out to be a troll, that when scans hit the net it will be revealed some 2ch posters and some translated took the way the manga seemed like it was going (based on the latest chapters) and said that was the way it did.

Probably a vain hope, but a hope nonetheless.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this interview.

These were some genuinely interesting questions with interesting replies from Kishimoto.

Now I am excited for the anime.
There lies a lot of sincerity in the mangas drawings and I am curious how they translated this vital aspect of the story into a moving medium.

As for the ending. I am not really pleased with it but I haven't read the last 5 chapters yet so I can only make assumptions.
However I think it puts an emphasis on this unique view the author has on relationships (one of the scenes with Rin´s best friend and why it didn´t work out with her boyfriend was hilariously brilliant).
In that light I am glad that they didn´t put the main focus on the more (melo)dramatic elements of the manga but tried to keep a balance.

P.S. Wow my english is clumsy. I don´t want to read my own posts.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't know what to say...

I really loved the volumes I've read and had such high hopes for the anime. This interview just reaffirmed my feelings that this story is genuinely about a man who adopts a child and raises her as her father. It is so rare to see parenthood realistically depicted in anime and manga, let alone the struggles of a single father...

I can't even say that I wish I hadn't read the spoilers, because my blissful ignorance would have been shattered as soon as Yen put out the latter manga volumes. Crying or Very sad

Now I just hope that the anime changes the ending. And if they are looking for family stories for next year, noitaminA should consider "With The Light," a wonderful josei manga about the trials and tribulations of raising a child with Autism. (I know it's had a drama adaptation, but not an anime).

Couldn't agree with you more if you paid me, Agent. You said everything I wanted to say and more. Such a shame about the manga's shocking swerve/creepy ending. Hoping for the best with the anime (First time in a long time I've actively wished for a deviation from the source material).

If With The Light got an anime adaptation, I would buy it in a heartbeat, regardless of it if got a dub track or not. It's such a beautifully told story that doesn't pander to the normal cliche pitfalls of manga and anime nowadays.

I'm absolutely giddy for my PO of the last volume to go thru. And I cannot be grateful enough to Yen for licensing it.
miren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Reading through the manga was awesome... But knowing that at the end of the icecream parfait bowl is a big fat turd negates all the experience..
However spoiler[ Its not the related by blood part... its the fact that this insults foster parents everywhere that really sours you .. ]

Mad scientist , me too is hoping for the same thing.
lapoune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Has anyone here actually SEEN the ending?
miren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
lapoune wrote:
Has anyone here actually SEEN the ending?

I don't think so , but i find little reason to doubt it . It is a josei manga after all...

and there were hints building up to this ..spoiler[ diff surname ... not wanting to be formally adopted.]

However, the anime and the live action movie are definitely going to have proper endings.. because the Japanese mainstream will not accept this crap.. it creeps too many people the wrong way to be considered an actual money making proposition in the mainstream..
DragonKnight76

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Very nice, interesting interview! One of the things I enjoyed about the manga was how lovely the dialogue and inner monologues were. It clearly displayed the emotions of each character.

Though this makes it all the more depressing knowing how the manga ends. Crying or Very sad

Bah for spoiler posts, sure you didn't say anything specific but this just puts a damper on the show for anyone reading. Thanks. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3