• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Orange

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how things would've went down had Suwa not shown up to save Naho. Three on one are not good odds. Also when the teacher started talking about time travel I was like "really?" Smile

I started thinking how this is like the DBZ's version of time travel: you can fix/change the past but not your future. So even if past Naho can prevent Kakeru's death, he'll still be dead in future Naho's timeline.

Sigh, explaining time travel is confusing. Confused
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought the animation quality took a serious dive this episode. Having the science teacher 'explain' time travel in such a stereotypical and conventional way really took me out of the story. How sad that the writers couldn't find their own original reasoning for time travel, or perhaps some alternate explanations (i.e. what if the letters aren't even from future Naho, but from Kakeru's ghost?)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
Having the science teacher 'explain' time travel in such a stereotypical and conventional way really took me out of the story. How sad that the writers couldn't find their own original reasoning for time travel, or perhaps some alternate explanations

There are only two main ways to explain time travel. The author chose one of them and, while I'll chalk it up to a less pervasive internet, I don't remember anyone complaining when DBZ went on this exact tangent and literally doubled down on the dimension-hopping theory.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I'm kinda worried. Twenty-six year old Naho is married to Suwa in the future. Sixteen year old Naho doesn't know this. So if she's trying to change things, does that mean the future we saw will never happen???

Not sure if this is going to be a predestination paradox (meaning nothing ultimately is going to change and the guy still dies) or Naho does managed to change the future. But this is the only thing that really bothers me about this series. In the future, Naho is a mother of an infant with Suwa, and yet her notes to her past self is changing the past so she can end up with Kakeru? What her marriage to Suwa isn't happy? Or she's being selfish in uring to be with Kakeru and willing to throw away her family?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I'm kinda worried. Twenty-six year old Naho is married to Suwa in the future. Sixteen year old Naho doesn't know this. So if she's trying to change things, does that mean the future we saw will never happen???

Not sure if this is going to be a predestination paradox (meaning nothing ultimately is going to change and the guy still dies) or Naho does managed to change the future. But this is the only thing that really bothers me about this series. In the future, Naho is a mother of an infant with Suwa, and yet her notes to her past self is changing the past so she can end up with Kakeru? What her marriage to Suwa isn't happy? Or she's being selfish in yearning to be with Kakeru and willing to throw away her family?

Now there's really no way of knowing what'll happen at this point. We'll just have to wait and see. Anime smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
In the future, Naho is a mother of an infant with Suwa, and yet her notes to her past self is changing the past so she can end up with Kakeru? What her marriage to Suwa isn't happy? Or she's being selfish in uring to be with Kakeru and willing to throw away her family?

In the most recent episode, Naho-san's letter includes the rather disturbing line "Back then, Suwa really seemed to care about me." Does that mean he doesn't care for her when they are 26 or is even philandering? That Naho cannot get past the love she harbors for Kakeru all these years later? Her comment sounds like the lament of someone not happy with her marriage. Perhaps they married because it seemed like the right thing to do after Kakeru's death.
Sakurie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
In the future, Naho is a mother of an infant with Suwa, and yet her notes to her past self is changing the past so she can end up with Kakeru? What her marriage to Suwa isn't happy? Or she's being selfish in uring to be with Kakeru and willing to throw away her family?

In the most recent episode, Naho-san's letter includes the rather disturbing line "Back then, Suwa really seemed to care about me." Does that mean he doesn't care for her when they are 26 or is even philandering? That Naho cannot get past the love she harbors for Kakeru all these years later? Her comment sounds like the lament of someone not happy with her marriage. Perhaps they married because it seemed like the right thing to do after Kakeru's death.

I thought about that line too and I think it's either a weird translation or that by changing kakeru's fate she is changing others fate as well....I don't think they seem unhappy in their marriage in the future part of the episodes....got a bad feeling about this Sad
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not, but who Naho ends up with isn't really the main point of the story... and the intention of the notes is not to make her "end up with Kakeru", it's to make her look out more for a friend in need, she just happens to also be in love with at this time.

But anyhow, for the people who are so worried about Naho's future marriage: did you all someow skip the part about parallel worlds?!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
But anyhow, for the people who are so worried about Naho's future marriage: did you all someow skip the part about parallel worlds?!

That's a "cop-out" (considering that the whole thing is "theoretical" at best but essentially "fictional" right now, any of it is imaginary). It's understandable to question the motives of someone who wants to change the past to consider the impact on the future. Its why I don't like most stories that ponder stopping the atomic bomb drop. I think it's interesting to consider a present day person pondering the moral but also simple and philosophical implications of changing a major event even in the face of a great tragedy.

I think it takes real introspection to at least CONSIDER "hey, MAYBE without the bomb Japan remains an imperialist military power and later becomes a despotic regime". But one should at least CONSIDER "hey, the world (and life) that I know will likely be totally different if this one event changes". One should at least question "do I have the RIGHT to change things?" (I keep waffling on whether to watch Zipang for this VERY reason, because I really would like to see a SERIOUS pondering of "what happens to current Japan if we change past Japan" from an actual Japanese rather than an outsider, who can more easily "hand-wave" the tough choices)

Under some "parallel world" theories, all eventualities HAVE occurred, for anything that CAN happen, it has happened in some universe. By that logic, the time travel is superfluous. I'm really concerned from your remarks on where this is headed, and should probably just stop right now. Because EVERYTHING we've seen re: Suwa (both in the present AND future) is that he's a great guy, and if the story ends with Naho ending up with Kakeru, there's no coming back from that for me. (you can PM me if you want to "spoil" it for me, I won't pass that along and I don't care about getting spoilers)

ps - I want to comment to the comparison to Anohana. Anohana was about coming to terms with your grief and at LEAST the tv series (haven't seen the movie) ends with spoiler[Menma "passing on" while everyone tearfully says their goodbyes]. In that sense, Orange (assuming they do successfully save Kakeru) is the COMPLETE opposite. (really, this is true IMO even if they don't save him, since Naho attempts a scheme to do so 10 years later, and if we go with the parallel worlds theory, she'll FOREVER live not knowing if it "worked" and thus always living hung up on that)
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Believe it or not, but who Naho ends up with isn't really the main point of the story... and the intention of the notes is not to make her "end up with Kakeru", it's to make her look out more for a friend in need, she just happens to also be in love with at this time.

If you know this from reading the original material, you need to put comments like this in spoiler tags.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Merida wrote:

If you know this from reading the original material, you need to put comments like this in spoiler tags.

If I know what exactly? I don't think there's anything spoilerish in my comment if you've actually been paying attention to the show.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Merida wrote:

If I know what exactly? I don't think there's anything spoilerish in my comment if you've actually been paying attention to the show.

So you're saying the point of the show as portrayed is not about who Naho ends up with? I suppose that's one possible interpretation, but I've seen a lot of commentators here and elsewhere focused on the Naho x Suwa/Kakeru dynamic. The fact you so flatly dismissed this viewpoint suggested your comment was based on the original material and not speculation based on the anime as presented.

I'm sorry if I offended you.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It's easy to get caught up in the pairing aspect of a shoujo romance manga/anime and these last couple episodes have maybe emphasized that more (with the Ueda-sempai stuff stirring things up between Naho and Kakeru), so I can understand that people comment on that. But I also think if you step back, the big picture offers more than just who ends up with who. The point of this all is to save Kakeru, and I don't think the author would ever suggest that if he just fell in love with the right girl, all his troubles would be over. That's not based on a specific event or line, just my general impression.

From a little farther up-thread, I also found the "Back then, Suwa really seemed to care about me" line an odd translation choice. SevenSeas' translation in the manga was "At that time, he was looking out for me" and I think the point of the "back then/at that time" is "in this specific situation when I especially needed it." It's not saying that he stopped caring or looking out for her at some later time. I thought the narration and last line of the letter this episode made future-Naho's feelings for Suwa and her current life fairly clear.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I kind've wish the "point" of this series were to overcome time, because I'm a sucker for that nonsense, even if it has zero physical validity. But I am squarely in the "This show is about Naho's adolescent suffering." and "This is about Kakeru not dying." camps.

Also don't think they're mutually exclusive, or that most of the motivations shated here are. People are complex critters with lots of silly, mutually exclusive aims.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

So you're saying the point of the show as portrayed is not about who Naho ends up with? I suppose that's one possible interpretation, but I've seen a lot of commentators here and elsewhere focused on the Naho x Suwa/Kakeru dynamic. The fact you so flatly dismissed this viewpoint suggested your comment was based on the original material and not speculation based on the anime as presented.

Well yes, a lot of viewers seem to focus on the (potential) romances which are an important aspect of the story - this is shoujo after all - but they are not the main plot point by far as lys pointed our in their comment pretty well.

yuna49 wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you.

No worries, i just got a bit frustrated about the discussion here because i really like this story, plus i'm currently sick which doesn't exactly improve my mood, so sorry if i came off a bit more cranky than usual... Smile

Last edited by Merida on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6