• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Izetta: The Last Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
(can't you guard a single friggin' room, goddamnit?)

Well, it is a secret room. Putting a guard at some random spot in the hallway would pretty much scream "Hey, there's a secret door here!"

Dude (or dudette), come on. Use common sense. They clearly had at least two guards posted somewhere who were utterly useless. When you are protecting something that important, no spies should even get close to the room, never mind in it. Or are you going to insist it's physically impossible to guard a single room, no matter what? Oi vey.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

So that is what the White Witch did that was so wrong, she was using a power that robbed energy and or damaged the ley lines. She is now back as a vengeful End to get revenge. Although the confidence of the German agent in controlling her has me thinking that she may be being controlled in a way beyond what she think of Izetta.

I kind of liked the touch of showing a comic book being made inspired after Izetta, apparently made by "EC", although a couple things come to mind. Not hugely knowledgeable, but it kind of looked a bit like Ms Marvel, although when you think of heroes fighting Nazi, Captain America comes to mind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Strong eppie. The good guys are in deep doo-doo. I am super eager to find out what happens next.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

So Izetta now has the means to fight back, although it comes with a price. Use of the Magic Stone ends up consuming the witch using it, apparently. With only two episodes left, it's hard to imagine this wrapping up as a complete, self-contained story. It has the feel of something that may get another season.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This is pure speculation. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong next week, or the week after.

I've wondered from the start if Fine is a latent witch. She is "white", so to speak, as opposed to Izetta being "red". I'm now wondering if exposure to the exenium will awaken her.

Also, finé, can be translated as "end" in Italian. Is Fine the real last witch? I'm sure I'll have egg on my face very soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting speculation, Errinundra. And even if you are ultimately proved wrong, your reasoning can hardly be characterized as outlandish.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
I could see the possibility of an illegitimate child.

But one must think of the irony that original white witch was executed because of a hateful women, while now she is essentially that hateful person.

With the Germanian's fully declaring war on the world, one would wonder what the result would be. It is an interesting piece of history that apparently the Germans bombing London was actually an initial mistake, the planes were meant to bomb military places, but some misjudgement on navigation had them bomb civilian area. From what I read/heard this was the beginning of the fall of Germany as it pitted the entire country of England and its allies against the Nazi party that they would do everything in their power with the support of the citizens. It pretty much a case that when one side pushes the other too hard, breaking agreed upon rules, everyone will turn on that side. There is possibly the problem that Germania does have something so dangerous on their side, but one would wonder if an A-bomb could be pulled out from another side.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Germans already have their A-bomb in the secret weapon Sophie powered for them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

And so the title of the show becomes true. I had fun with this show. Yes, it had its flaws but they never got in the way of my enjoyment. I got the feels at the end. Final rating: good.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, my theory about Fine being a latent witch was wrong, but I'm fine with that.

I like how WW2 ended before Pearl Harbour, thereby handily letting Nihonia of the hook. I wonder how the tension between Nihonia and Atlanta would have played out post WW2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The last episode. I got real feels when Fine started to break down from conveying that for the peace of mind she had to order her friend to death. Sophie's story that it was the king who ordered it does change things, but on the other hand it can also do so positively, he was probably right that with her still going it would have put the country and people in danger. I kind of wonder if the difference between Izetta and Sophie was that Sophie was strong, so much so that she did not understand the fear of those who were weak and took it personally, while a leader has many lives to account for.

It does seem that Izetta survived, but beyond being crippled and bound to a wheelchair, I wonder if there was some mental damage. It still conveyed the sacrifice of the war, and stopped it from feeling cheap while also not feeling too depressing. It was all a good finale, that delivered on the WW2 themes it promised. The show kind of muddled in the middle, I think it may have been some trouble with figuring out the direction it was taking, but overall it was good, just not entirely as good as it started, but better than it could have been. Despite Izetta's part, I think that Fine was the real star, she was a kick ass princess character that was awesome from her speeches and was not afraid of some action, yet also aware of her limits.

For a rating I am going with Very good (8/10), one of the shows that probably had to be watched for the season. I have had some problems with some WW2 anime before, but this felt well done, and the heroines of the show also felt strong and not exploited.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:09 am Reply with quote
AS EXPECTED, Key is the kindest reviewer out there, so when he is “checking” the good points in the beginning, he omits the jarring failure of the show: lazy writing.

Already within six minutes of the first episode, we see a lad opening a door in a way that stops the police so the princess can escape, even though the door is translucent, so it can only be done intentionally, and yet the police is made to not mention that and stop for a chit chat, even though in reality it would continue to follow the target as per the protocol.

Also conveniently, the princess finds a way into a cargo car by simply pushing a window placeholder to the inside of the car.

This is really poor writing that should have been scrapped and rewritten.

Additionally, this alternative history is a pure idealist romanticism.

In the princess’ fictional county, companies are patriotic and refuse to move to the UK out of loyalty. This made me laugh since only the opposite has ever happened in history,

Also, the princess herself is from fairy tale (because it is). Real life princesses were among the first to fold before Hitler. A bit where her country was supposedly fighting hard against the invasion is also funny since in reality only Soviets ever did it initially, when Hitler has already collected a 400-million-strong first version of “European Union“ under his rule: blitzkrieg was behind schedule already by the middle of July of 1941; it has become clear that Moscow will not fall by the autumn.

Finally, it is not believable that the witch would not have been secured well, unlike what happened in the end of the first episode. And the premise for that is fake since it not believable that the princess would dramatically switch off from a minor wound in her arm with no significant blood loss. The princess was fine right before and after that, including moving the wounded arm.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The silliness does not end.

In the episode #3, Germans try to win either only with air or land forces, which is absurd.

Also, it turns out that the witch is of combat type, and this makes the whole premise RIDICULOUS.

With her magic, the lass witch should have just ambushed “Hitler” and force his government to stop the attack. In fact, using her in a battle field makes the least sense because she can only be at a single point of a front line and many enemies can target her with lots of types of weapons.

Also, if the princess would actually care about the lives of the people as she claims, she would suggest her country to surrender. So she is lying to her people about as the war is about the politics first, unless the victim country was communist, which meant that “subhuman” Soviets would be partly genocided, partly enslaved, partly sterilised.

The character design is so bland that you think that the princess is Saber from Stay/Night or many others.

Attempts to use German produce nonsense, just like all other anime that try this. The same as with English and other languages, no natives speakers are allowed to participate at any stage of production, so no wonder.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Are you that bored that you’re replying to a seven-year old topic that had its last post over six years ago, Max?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:00 am Reply with quote
I am going through a backlog of anime to watch from years ago. I am addressing a specific review, so it makes sense to do it here.

Glasses are anachronistic in the anime, just as in 91 Days from the same year.

It is stupid how the witch is flying up there in the extreme cold (and low oxygen at times) without casting a warming up/high oxygen spell, and she has even dragged the princess with her, and yet they did not die from pneumonia.

Episode #5 is also a shame.

Top country officials conveniently go insane and decide to discuss secret information openly outside. Even more conveniently, a soldier was nearby at the exact same moment to hear it. Yet again conveniently, he is a pal of the only spy Germany sent to the country.

Triple face palm on how lazy the writing is.

For some reason, the Japanese refuse to believe that glasses people wear were ever different from how they were in the past. Annoying anachronisms about this plague already the second anime from a single year (2016; after 91 days).

Another stupid thing is that the witch is flying up there in the cold without casting a warming up spell. This means that she and the princess, who have also flown with her, would quickly get pneumonia and probably die from it, but somehow this is not happening. It would be funny, if it did.

In the episode #6, one of the criminal top officials, who has exposed a secret, kills a lad, who has overheard him, even though murders like this a believable only if it was not possible to bring the lad into a castle and keep him there safely and using his as an attendant or even do random chores, even though under surveillance.

Episode #7 is unintentionally funny because as soon as a UK top official proclaimed in a confidential meeting that he had invited the duchess and the witch, they immediately entered the room, which means the attendant was eavesdropping the whole time. And, even worse, with the guests seeing it.

In the episode #8, top female guard betrays her country as she is lying to another official that the incident with German spies is resolved, even though the guards have never recovered the camera from either of the bodies.

Episode #10 is dumb: instead of killing off the witch for good or evacuating her, Germans went insane and left her to be recovered by the enemy with just a bunch of troops as guards.

Ultimately, the anime still deserves a DECENT rating.

This is because Key’s positive “checks” he has given to it are valid. And I also see great work by artists, animators, the composer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3