• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD Gets New TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Quick question: Has the anime mostly stuck with the canon content?

Key word: mostly. Seasons 1 and 2 were very faithful. BorN had an anime original second half, but it was tied into a side story called EX so they can go into this season with a clean slate. You can read a summary of those novels online, but be careful of spoilers. There's one big one that ties into it but I've read a few for anime only people that avoided saying anything about it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
More of the MC talking about oppai but getting nothing but blue balled
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
The ride never ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
More of the MC talking about oppai but getting nothing but blue balled

"Blue balled"... Laughing
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Ishibumi and the studio said that after Born they're just going back to being faithful to the novel. Well they were never 100% faithful since they cut out stuff but yeah I assume is "as faithful as season 1 and 2".

Great news. Hopefully they can repair the storyline well enough.

Dark Absol wrote:
I see some people are saying that BorN is no good. Could anyone please tell me what's wrong with it, such as something in BorN that are not originally part of the light novel? I have watched and own the first 3 seasons of High School DxD.

A huge amount was changed. It would be faster to cover what wasn't. The part up to Issei getting balance breaker was the same, and the arc where Issei uses Juggernaut Drive was the same.

I don't think it is bad just because it is different though. I just didn't like the execution of their changes and additions.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I have not read the LNs, and was not aware of the changes, but I too felt that BorN was below par in execution, and not just in its second half. I am not completely convinced it is only a matter of following the source material or not, but I hope we get a great fourth season!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
I have not read the LNs, and was not aware of the changes, but I too felt that BorN was below par in execution, and not just in its second half. I am not completely convinced it is only a matter of following the source material or not, but I hope we get a great fourth season!

It's sorta the adaptation's fault since the character designs for the anime are trash and the story has a lot more emphasis on ecchi stuff than the LN.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
BorN had an anime original second half

It wasn't just the second half. The entire Loki section in the first half was anime original (although Loki is involved in the plot in the LNs).
kaynedenny5454

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Oh great more garbage to get otakus excited......yay? Rolling Eyes
You stop being ignorant,it's just a show.stop ruining things for other people.people can like things others don't like
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
It's funny how people treat DxD as an "Harem anime" when it's more of a battle shounen than anything... guess the anime needed to jack the ecchi up to get some viewership

Harem = one male, multiple females
Reverse harem = one female, multiple males

Even no love interest between them can also considered as harem. Harem word itself come from Arabic term which mean a man keeping multiple wives and female slaves.

So yeah DxD is definitely a harem anime because female characters getting interested to our protagonist Issei.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
It's funny how people treat DxD as an "Harem anime" when it's more of a battle shounen than anything...

I have seen only the first season so far and it seemed to me that it was much more of a harem comedy than a battle shounen, which is why I have watched it three times so far.
I probably would not have watched it at all if was was more of a battle shounen. I certainly hope that the newer seasons do not go in that direction.
Quote:
guess the anime needed to jack the ecchi up to get some viewership

It got me to watch.

I have New and BorN on my wish list at Amazon.com, but I am waiting to see if New might get an Anime Classics release.

I am not reading the novels or manga so any deviation from the source will not be a problem for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Faithfulness, Faithfulness, Faithfulness.... OH GOD WHY PEOPLE DON´T UNDERSTAND THE TERM ADAPTATION WELL, OR BETTER?????

Marvel and DC Movies have been mostly unfaithful to sources and you never see comic fans complaining, but when it comes to anime, a slight change drives people crazy. Adaptations should do that, not remain always too faithful.

I may not understand what´s wrong with BorN, but I hate people complaining about "FILLERS HARMING THE SERIES" when fillers are supposed to not do that in the first place, and there are some that do better for a series. That´s why eople say that otakus are the worst fans.

#source_material_is_irrelevant
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
It's funny how people treat DxD as an "Harem anime" when it's more of a battle shounen than anything...

I have seen only the first season so far and it seemed to me that it was much more of a harem comedy than a battle shounen, which is why I have watched it three times so far.
I probably would not have watched it at all if was was more of a battle shounen. I certainly hope that the newer seasons do not go in that direction.

The LN is more battle shonen in nature that the anime.

Form REVIEW: High School DxD BorN BD+DVD:
AksaraKishou wrote:

It's not that it's unfaithful, it's that while the LN is a "battle shounen with romcom stuff" the anime is "Romcom stuff with a bit of battle shounen".

So i think AksaraKishou was talking about DxD light novel.

SkerllyF wrote:
Faithfulness, Faithfulness, Faithfulness.... OH GOD WHY PEOPLE DON´T UNDERSTAND THE TERM ADAPTATION WELL, OR BETTER?????

Marvel and DC Movies have been mostly unfaithful to sources and you never see comic fans complaining, but when it comes to anime, a slight change drives people crazy. Adaptations should do that, not remain always too faithful.

I may not understand what´s wrong with BorN, but I hate people complaining about "FILLERS HARMING THE SERIES" when fillers are supposed to not do that in the first place, and there are some that do better for a series. That´s why eople say that otakus are the worst fans.

#source_material_is_irrelevant

Is irrelevant for you or for people that don't read or not intend to read the LN in the future.
Not only anime otaku but LN fans are the prime audience of DxD and the prime buyers of the BD's and the LN's.
And the general opinion of this audience is that the 3 season was pretty bad manly because not be faithful to the source material. That was the reason why the producers an publishers had to take emergency measures like the DX retconned.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
COREY2293

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
love it!

DxD and Sekerei are the best Harem/ecchi series I've seen. Sad they will never finish Sekirei but at least they are doing more DxD
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
OK, someone is DEFINITELY looking out for me. I just posted on here yesterday how I was wanting and hoping for a 4th season and now it gets announced. YES! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5