• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO's Latest Viewer Complaint Criticizes Depictions of Anime Boy's Genitals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
The BPO are the ones sexualizing the boy...the context was not sexual

Well said. I'm strongly against sexual portrayals of children, but there is a world of difference in how the characters and their bodies are presented. Nothing about this scene sounds sexual to me, and the original "NSFW" screenshot is so tame it's almost laughable.

We have to draw a better distinction between sexual and nonsexual nudity; they are not the same, and I think BPO is treating the Jojo's episode as if they were. Rolling Eyes
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Why even give groups like this any sort of press? They're the equivalent of the Parents' Television Council whackjobs in the US.

Because they're the Frederick Wertham of Japan--
Determined to prove to a frustrated mainstream Japanese society that watching anime will turn all of its promising young people into work-shunning Internet-addicted NEETs...But FIRST, luring them into an immoral underground of perverted pedophiles, by making them fantasize about underage 2D moe girls, and maybe yaoi boys, too!

And to prove that valuable point to society, they want all the evidence that they can make. Rolling Eyes
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
I like these BPO threads. People nailing their colours to a little boys penis is the laugh I needed to start the day.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
I know what it meant to represent, but it still seems to me like what it is, 2 half-circles.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
I don't agree, but I am happy. Just because if this was the exact same scene, only different gender, EVERYBODY would be upset and angry.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Everyone of each age group watches JoJo?! That had me more surpised and please at the same time.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
They're arguing over a child's barely existent D when they really should be complaining about them not showing the older character's. Rolling Eyes
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
It's fiction, and inherently titled Jojo "Bizarre" Adventure.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
Alessi is definitely a child abuser, if not a child molester,

You'd be wrong on the second account though since nothing in the manga or anime hinted at this.

explosionforgov wrote:
D'Angelo explicitly sexually assaults and murders young boys,

The last one he didn't assault he just straight out murdered him after castrating him pre or post mortem.

explosionforgov wrote:
(and make the hero look heroic for stepping in and defending the child),

Which actually didn't happen in some of the examples you mentioned including the above spoiler[as Kira murdered Hayato anyway.]

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
^^ Spoilers, especially that last line.

It's funny just how conservative Japanese parents have gotten about anime within the past decade. Not that nobody bitched during the golden years of the 70s - 90s, but now all the sudden they're finding fault with Detective Conan, Jojo, Dragon Ball, Osomatsu-kun (well, Osomatsu-san is for adult viewers anyway; do today's Japanese kids even know about Osomatsu-kun? Would they be interested enough to try to watch San?), etc. Should have said something 30 years ago when you and your brother were reading this stuff in Jump and Sunday. Good God, the very first chapter of Conan had a fountain-of-blood decapitation. Jojo had all sorts of grindhouse-movie gore from the get-go. Did everyone rally to get this trash out of our kids' magazines? No.

I guess the good old days of getting a healthy dose of culture shock from TV anime filled with blood, penises and female nipples are over, what with Dragon Ball Kai edited to remove blood and nudity 20 years after the fact, rather than the complete opposite happening, Fight! Iczer-One having a giant black block over a SHOWER SCENE?!, and Japanese parents bitching about a kid's penis on last week's Jojo.

P.S. OH, and that "suggestive banana-eating" as well! Can't forget that evil crap!
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
It's not funny because guess what is the main reason for the parents there to become so conservative compared to the previous counterpart? Internet and outside exposure. Values from certain countries are being carried over to Japan and it might as well get worse from here on out. Paiprince would know a lot about this.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I don't agree, but I am happy. Just because if this was the exact same scene, only different gender, EVERYBODY would be upset and angry.

I respectfully disagree. If the scene featured an adult male villain or adult female villain trying to kill a young girl, and all parties were naked in the same context as the original, I wouldn't be any more offended by it than I am the original.

The child character in question is not portrayed sexually. That's the main point to me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Think the bigger question, is why they are watching late night anime, because there is a reason it is airing late at night.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
^^ Spoilers, especially that last line.

It's funny just how conservative Japanese parents have gotten about anime within the past decade. Not that nobody bitched during the golden years of the 70s - 90s, but now all the sudden they're finding fault with Detective Conan, Jojo, Dragon Ball, Osomatsu-kun (well, Osomatsu-san is for adult viewers anyway; do today's Japanese kids even know about Osomatsu-kun? Would they be interested enough to try to watch San?), etc. Should have said something 30 years ago when you and your brother were reading this stuff in Jump and Sunday. Good God, the very first chapter of Conan had a fountain-of-blood decapitation. Jojo had all sorts of grindhouse-movie gore from the get-go. Did everyone rally to get this trash out of our kids' magazines? No.

I guess the good old days of getting a healthy dose of culture shock from TV anime filled with blood, penises and female nipples are over, what with Dragon Ball Kai edited to remove blood and nudity 20 years after the fact, rather than the complete opposite happening, Fight! Iczer-One having a giant black block over a SHOWER SCENE?!, and Japanese parents bitching about a kid's penis on last week's Jojo.

P.S. OH, and that "suggestive banana-eating" as well! Can't forget that evil crap!

Interestingly enough, a new adaptation of the fountain-of-blood of Conan's first chapter re-aired about a week ago and here's what it looked liked :

https://twitter.com/ShroomMeister/status/807844119334752256

I wonder how Japanese parents reacted. I guess older series get a pass when it comes to violence. Laughing
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood isnt exactly banned from modern anime, so I'm not seeing the big deal. Just because you read some parent complaints doesn't mean anything.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3