• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yōjo Senki TV Anime's Promo Videos Preview 'Monster'/'Fairy' Protagonist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit worried about the production of the show itself. The characters didn't move a whole lot, so who knows how the show itself will be. If it's more political, then that won't be that big a problem. If anyone has read the novels, can they let me know?

Otherwise, I can't wait Smile It's like Classroom Crisis + Umineko + Izzetta. Kinna a funny mix if you think about it ^^
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Dear god that blonde girl looks hideous!

I think I'm going to stay away from this as much as possible.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
I'm a bit worried about the production of the show itself. The characters didn't move a whole lot, so who knows how the show itself will be. If it's more political, then that won't be that big a problem. If anyone has read the novels, can they let me know?

Otherwise, I can't wait Smile It's like Classroom Crisis + Umineko + Izzetta. Kinna a funny mix if you think about it ^^

I only rad the first two chapters of the amnga, feels like a mix of strike witches and konosuba but with some darker/meaner sense of humour.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:

She's' not supposed to look cute. Thats the point.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
FrozenMoon wrote:
See here I can appreciate greatly that you're breaking down what exactly you don't like and what you think is bad or average about the trailer in pretty logical ways, that's awesome. My entire thing is I rarely see people do that, usually it's just this thing looks like "trash/garbage" and usually no reason is given, sometimes people will insult something for a very subjective reason, an example being they don't like the music that's fine but music is a very subjective matter.

It took me about ten minutes to write that out; I nearly missed my train to work. I didn't need to go to that much effort to work it out for myself, because when you're working for yourself you can do it much more quickly.

I only did that because I was feeling particularly generous/willing/eager-to-expound and happened to have the time available. That's not something you can expect to have happen every time. I mean, how much time have you spent analysing and articulating why you like it? Same deal.

FrozenMoon wrote:
In this case a lot of people are upset with a small girl with a gun leading an army, I understand not liking that and that's not my problem, my problem is that's not a very objective sounding reason to go all out ripping the show apart and it's just a good reason for that person to not watch it themselves. Where as your points I think have better overall criticism. One thing I'd say is the Chess Pieces are there to just show it's going to be about "strategy" supposedly in my eyes, but I don't completely disagree with your remark on them.

It's a problem because it's "unrealistic" and thus distances the show from engagement with real[istic] people: makes it harder to be relevant. It's not a fatal problem -- nausicaa is a pretty unrealistic character -- but it's a barrier to relevance, or a potential one: something that people can legitimately be concerned by.

[my actual concern is that even for the core conceit that's a terribly-put-together trailer. For example, if you recut it so that the exposition dialogue visuals were replaced by that shot of the girl, all looking bored until the voiceover starts talking about violence and then she starts grinning ferally... you'd save thirty seconds or so, you'd express the "girl is avatar of violence" concept much more effectively. But no: we get generic or sub-generic visuals: really doesn't bode well for the rest of the production]
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
NCfanboy1 wrote:

She's' not supposed to look cute. Thats the point.

That doesn't make me feel any better.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Is it just me or does Visha's character design look completely out of place compared to everyone else or really the show itself.

It does. If this thing is trying to be a "realistic" war anime, why are her eyes half the size of her face? I thought the way she had looked had been a mistake, but no. She's supposed to look like a highschool anime girl.

The "cute girl with a lisp on a battlefield" setting flew right over your head, didn't it?

that was describing Tanya not Visha. Visha's design in the manga and LN was much better.

Seems like i misread it. Sorry.

Nahh, it's okay. But I still want to know why Visha's eyes were pointing in two different directions in her character art. I'm fine with Tanya's design, it actually fits the setting, but Visha's just looks ugly.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Adaptive character designs are always going to be simplified if actual consistent animation is ever a goal for the staff.

Over designed characters with a bunch of details and accessories on their outfits result in series wherein still frames with flapping mouths with the bare minimum of actual movement is commonplace. They often won't even blink. They might look nice standing still against a pretty background complete with clouds frozen in time, but they certainly aren't animated. Expect actual animation only in short bursts.

Even in these trailers that's no exception. You can see cuts where it looks nice and detailed but the only thing moving is a character's mouth or a close up shot of a clenching fist. Anime often shifts between the two extremes to such a degree that the actual good "Sakuga" animation stands out that much more. Wow! It's moving! So cool! I wish it could be like that all the time!

The LN illustration or the manga's art can afford to look nice and overly detailed. They only have to draw each of those pictures once per appearance on a page or panel. It's about what works best in each medium.

In Dragon Ball, the character of Perfect Cell was a major pain for them to animate. Can you guess why? His dots. They had to be perfect in all the right places otherwise he would looked terrible in motion. All it took was a bunch of dots on an otherwise simple character to turn animating it into a nightmare.

Now go back and look and the LN/Manga designs for this series. Remember how Fate/Zero was mostly characters talking at each other? Yeah. They try to make it pretty to look at, but they barely move. It's sad to consider just how little animation there is in anime in pretty much any given series. That's why the exceptions stand out so much.
Mertal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Yeah, think I'm gonna skip this one the trailer seems generic with whole loli with guns.

Ditto. That and I am not fond of the character designs.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
I love how everyone is shitting on the character design, but that's what excites me about this show Anime hyper

It's just so ugly and obviously not going for lolibait(which is kinna weird considering the story chose a very contrived way of turning the MC into a loli) that it's grabbing already.

This show is already legendary in my eyes, it gets the award for most retarded combination of character design, plot, and production studio name of all time Razz
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Read the first 5 chapters of the manga today and it's pretty damn funny. I'm surprised they haven't released casting results for God (I'm really hoping for Wakamoto Norio or Ootsuka Akio) yet. So far, I'm digging the music and the visual direction of this show. I think Aoi Yuuki has the vocal range to pull off a solid performance for Tanya. The only thing I don't is the Visha's character design.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I usually shy away from loli+anything these days but these promos definitely have my interest piqued. The slick af music and pretty sharp-looking animation, combined with the European war atmosphere and Tanya's wicked expressions? Fingers crossed Yōjo Senki lives up to its potential. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3