• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SPJA Comments on Anime Expo 2017's Saturday Security Line Fiasco

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Why does most of this response read "It's your fault if you were stuck in that line"? Seriously. This apology, if it can be called that, reads more like a "You should have come on Day -1/0 when we didn't have mile long lines" rather than a sincere apology.

I DID get a badge on Day -1 and still spent three hours in line to get in. This is because the lines to get badges got mixed up with the line to get into the building, meaning it wouldn't have mattered when I got my badge. Though it looks like it was relieved when they opened up more entrances (I would've waited even longer had the Pico Boulevard entrance not opened when I was getting close to there).

I think the problem was a lack of staff and volunteers outside to direct pedestrian traffic, causing people to get confused as to which line was which. I think it's also due to Anime Expo being Saturday to Tuesday this time rather than the usual Thursday to Sunday. Thursday to Sunday means you have people getting their badges more gradually than this, when tens of thousands of people decide to all get their badges on Saturday morning.

Яeverse wrote:
Why not do like other events, no outside bags, only check people who are showing their works in the artist area and thats it. Problem solved.

Hearing things like this makes people not want to attend.

Does this mean people would have to get a new bag every time they left and got back in? Over the four days I was there, I entered the convention center about a dozen times. Would that mean I needed to walk back to the parking lot, dropped off my bag, and get a new bag every time?

crosswithyou wrote:
From what I read on Twitter and Reddit, it's also just as messy inside as it is outside. Tons of lines, staff not knowing where to direct attendees and giving out contradicting information, not clearing out panel rooms so people at the front of the line end up with no place but the back to sit, etc, etc. Apparently it was stated on their site that they wouldn't be clearing out rooms after each panel, but that's such an unfair policy.

Is that what was going on? That explains why I had no problems getting a nice seat at the Welcome Ceremony despite being 15 minutes late, yet I was in the first row of the line for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure panel and couldn't find a seat. I had figured there were massive numbers of Premiere Pass people or something.

Cerceaux wrote:
At least the weather is pretty cool compared to previous years. One of the reasons the line fiasco in 2014 was so bad is that we were also experiencing a record heat wave and people were passing out and becoming seriously ill while waiting for their badges.

Yeah, take it from me, who just got back from Anime Expo 2017: The line problem has never been this bad from the seven or eight years I've gone there as it was on Saturday, with the exception of that year when their systems went down completely. It was fixed by Sunday. The lines were clearly defined, and there was never more than 20 people or so for each line. Last year, for instance, was pretty efficient.

catandmouse wrote:
I've been going to AX consistently since 2011, and I was stuck in a 6 hr. Line that year their system went down and I was there yesterday and saw those massive lines, but in the end my friends and I didn't go in through the front entrance. There are other ways in and out the didn't require standing in line for hrs to get in.
Today was much better, but going to the con every year I've learned Saturday is the busiest day, and I try my hardest to pick up my badges the day before....
My one complain was the Yuri in Ice panel. They never capped the line so people kept lining up. My friends and I were one of the last ones that managed to get in, and by then the panel was half way through. If they saw how huge the line was they should have started letting people in sooner so they could sit down.

Overall though, ivqe been enjoying my time at the con.

The Studio Trigger panel was capped, but it was capped poorly such that the room filled up when there were maybe 500 people lined up outside the ballroom. I was part of that line...
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
AX could have avoided this issues a decade ago by mailing people their badges a month or two before the event.

Why they never even gave it an attempt, I have no idea.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that what was going on? That explains why I had no problems getting a nice seat at the Welcome Ceremony despite being 15 minutes late, yet I was in the first row of the line for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure panel and couldn't find a seat. I had figured there were massive numbers of Premiere Pass people or something.

It depends on the room and the event. Certain rooms were cleared, some others were not. From their website:

Quote:
ROOM CLEARING

The following rooms generally WILL NOT be cleared between normal Panel Events:

Live Programming 1: LACC Petree Hall
Live Programming 2: JW Marriott Platinum Ballroom
West Hall B/Main Events Hall: Room clearing varies from event to event. Please see event descriptions in the mobile app for more information.
EXCEPTIONS: Room clearing WILL occur prior to a Ticketed Event (i.e. concert, AMV Competition, Masquerade, etc.), fashion show, and 18+ content tracks.

In the event either room reaches capacity two separate lines will form outside: 1 General Attendee Line and 1 Premier Fan Line.
As Attendees leave the room a corresponding number of Premier Fans will be allowed entry first. Attendees in the General Attendee Line will be allowed in when the Premier Fan Line is empty.
The following rooms WILL be cleared between Panel Events:

Live Programming 3: LACC 408AB
Live Programming 4: LACC 411 (Theater)
Live Programming 5: LACC 404AB
Workshops 1: 403B
Workshops 2: 406AB
Video Rooms
Video Rooms may be cleared in preparation for highly anticipated showings. Please check mobile app session descriptions for more details.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Ah, thank you. Most of the panels I wanted to attend happened to be in the not-cleared list, apparently. Well, that's my luck for you. I didn't check on the site as the thought never occurred to me that rooms might not be cleared until I read the posts here.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, thank you. Most of the panels I wanted to attend happened to be in the not-cleared list, apparently. Well, that's my luck for you. I didn't check on the site as the thought never occurred to me that rooms might not be cleared until I read the posts here.

I happened to see someone complain about the same thing on Twitter and AX just responded saying that it's outlined on their website.

Unrelated, but I'm also hearing cases of staff taking some priority autograph tickets for themselves and restrictions on what items can't be signed not being announced ahead of time. All you can do is shake your head.
Caloris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
AX could have avoided this issues a decade ago by mailing people their badges a month or two before the event.

Why they never even gave it an attempt, I have no idea.
They mail out premium badges, provided it is paid for before a set date and it is a domestic US address. They will not post to Mexico, Canada, Japan, Australia, etc (and there are AX staff from Canada).

Mailing does not work. Posting badges just creates more problems for very little, if any, gain.
There are ways to fix reg line problems that do not involve the time and resource waste of mailing.

Have a look at the new reg policies. They will only ship to US and Canada address. They will only ship to an address once, and only if reged prior to a set date (possibly in April).
People will still have to go to the on day reg area to collect anything normally given out at reg (eg lanyard, program book, etc) as only the badge will be shipped. This makes shipping pointless, as people will still have to go to reg anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN: There are accusations that you oversold the badges for the con and the crowding is a result of that oversale. Can you comment on that?

Chiang: That's not true. We did not oversell badges, we held our number similar to last year. We're anticipated a single digit percentage increase from the previous year. We hold that number of badges sold to keep from oversaturating the building.

ANN: There's a cap due to legal considerations, like the fire code.

Chiang We're not close to the legal limit. Sometimes it feels like when you have 100,000 people in here, but we aren't going to reach that number. We want our fans to enjoy the show and have the best experience, and our top priority is obviously safety.

Makes me wonder what the legal limit actually is. And I'm not quite sure what the second answer means. Was he trying to say all 100k people weren't in the convention center at the same time? Sure some of them were outside just socializing, resting, or doing cosplay related gatherings or shoots but it's absolutely packed for most of the panels and showings to the point where people at the ends don't even realize it and still hang around for naught.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
#873010 wrote:
Makes me wonder what the legal limit actually is. And I'm not quite sure what the second answer means. Was he trying to say all 100k people weren't in the convention center at the same time? Sure some of them were outside just socializing, resting, or doing cosplay related gatherings or shoots but it's absolutely packed for most of the panels and showings to the point where people at the ends don't even realize it and still hang around for naught.

That sentence in the second sentence is grammatically incorrect (though I wouldn't blame anyone for not producing perfect English when put on the spot), so it's hard to infer what it actually means.

My best guess is that he's saying Anime Expo gets about 100,000 attendees or was expected to have around that number, but there wasn't anywhere close to that number on the premises, as not everyone is going to be there at all times. For instance, I had a 4-day pass, which makes me one of those hundred thousand, but I wasn't present for most of Day 3 because it was a normal workday for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3