• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Manga Creator Says He Receives No Profit From Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
Surf_rock wrote:
Manga didn't receive much of a boost (volume 20 reached 100k+, but the same happened with volume 13 before anime), it always had decent sales for a gag manga. There weren't any big back sales of old volumes, too, so i don't know what kind of profits for author people are talking about.

In terms of manga, and author receive 10 to 15% of volume printed(yep, printed not sold). each manga cost around 5 dollars, so he receives around 50 cents to 75 cents per volume. 100k volumes printed is equal to 500k dollars, that means 50k to 75k dollars to the author.

Oricon data is not the entirety of sales data, and authors receive for print not sales.

Also the author also receives a percentage of merchandise and a fixed amount per episode of anime(or any other kind) made.
Hei-Yu-in-Tampa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that there are two very important issues here. 1) The author receives no royalties for the use of his characters and 2) He’s afraid of being censured by the industry for “complaining” about it. I don’t see why it’s important that the anime – successful or not – made him money via increasing sales of his manga. That seems like a “missing the forest for the trees” point. If someone uses your material without your consent or without paying you some sort of license fee for its use then most would say that this kind of actions hits very close to what most of us call plagiarism. There are many cases where the “shikata ga nai” view of things might be beneficial to those of us whose culture doesn’t really recognize the concept ("it cannot be helped" or "nothing can be done about it") but in this particular instance it is a hindrance, in my opinion. I thought there was an article here on ANN that said that more and more American companies were investing in Japan’s anime industry and there were hopes that this would ameliorate the work situation, which is notoriously horrid, for Japanese animators.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He said that the anime did help to sell more copies of his manga, but he has not received "even one yen" in royalties from sales of home videos, video games, and other goods.

That's messed up.

Hei-Yu-in-Tampa wrote:
That seems like a “missing the forest for the trees” point. If someone uses your material without your consent or without paying you some sort of license fee for its use then most would say that this kind of actions hits very close to what most of us call plagiarism.

You're making the assumption that they literally stole it from him. I think it's far more likely that all of this was laid out in whatever contract he signed, he just didn't read it or think it was an issue at the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Well, even if he didn't receive any royalties for this, he will get royalties through other methods. Heck, his family will continue receiving royalties for the manga until 70 years after he dies.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well... you can't recieve profits from the anime if the anime didn't MAKE a profit.
Author can't receive the profit even when anime make a profit, if it's not his manga sales. Here comes the explanation of how it's all works by Sorachi Hideaki, author of Gintama (which is successful with all of it's merchandise, unlike Saiki), written long ago, after the second movie release.
Quote:
Q: I have a question. A while ago, my mother heard that the Gintama animation film was a big hit, and commented that “(Hideaki Sorachi) must be living at [luxury highrise] Roppongi Hills since it’s so popular”. Is that true?

A: To tell the naked truth, regardless of how many people watch the film or how much the gross earnings are, not a single yen goes to the author. We are only paid an upfront license fee. The amount we’re paid is peanuts in comparison to the overall box office gross. The majority of the profits go to filthy unscrupulous companies such as Shueisha and Sunrise. Releasing individual manga volumes is way more profitable.
So basically, all profits from anime go to the production commitee.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
it's kind of like how in certain countries musicians don't give a fudge about piracy because they get so little money from disc sales and piracy actually helps them fill their concerts, which is where the money is.

I wonder if there is any manga that does nto get past the 100k units sold per volume after getting an anime ; I remember a particular comedy manga that was selling 30k units and increased to 300k (tenfold) once it got an anime, so the anime was considered a success even though it only sold like 200 volumes ,they even went as far as to personalize each copy ofthe aniem that got sold, I think it was kill me baby.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Let's please watch the massive over quoting going on. I also think a few of you might need to just agree to disagree and move on as you're talking in circles now. Thank you.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Well... you can't recieve profits from the anime if the anime didn't MAKE a profit.
Author can't receive the profit even when anime make a profit, if it's not his manga sales. Here comes the explanation of how it's all works by Sorachi Hideaki, author of Gintama (which is successful with all of it's merchandise, unlike Saiki), written long ago, after the second movie release.
Quote:
Q: I have a question. A while ago, my mother heard that the Gintama animation film was a big hit, and commented that “(Hideaki Sorachi) must be living at [luxury highrise] Roppongi Hills since it’s so popular”. Is that true?

A: To tell the naked truth, regardless of how many people watch the film or how much the gross earnings are, not a single yen goes to the author. We are only paid an upfront license fee. The amount we’re paid is peanuts in comparison to the overall box office gross. The majority of the profits go to filthy unscrupulous companies such as Shueisha and Sunrise. Releasing individual manga volumes is way more profitable.
So basically, all profits from anime go to the production commitee.

You're confusing Copyright with Viewership-right. The first exist and the second doesn't. It doesn't matter how many people see a movie, just like doesn't matter how many people watch a specific episode in Television(re-runs) or how many people watch a DVD/Blueray, nor how many people watch/use a merchandise item.

Nope, nobody receives royalties for that, what they receive royalties is for the copies of those products.
Royalties for how many replicas of a given merchandise item, Royalties for how many replicas of a given DVD/Blueray, Royalties for how many replicas a TV episode and how many replicas a Movie in theater has. For the last two it is considered to only existing one replica(it could be considered many, if we counted each TV Channel as having a copy and counted each screen in the Theaters), and so the author is only payed one time.

Note how an author receives royalties for every disk of a movie is sold and every disk of a TV anime is sold and also for every merchandise piece.
And also note that in the magazine the author doesn't receives royalties money for every magazine that is sold, Nope, he receives just one up front money for creating the chapter.

Basically:

Magazine(Up-front) -> Volume(Royalties)
TV anime(Up-front) -> Disk(Royalties)
Movie(Up-front) -> Disk(Royalties)
Amusement Park, Arcades and similar stuff(Up-front) -> Merchandise(Royalties)

High use of the "same thing" payed 1 time. High replication of "one thing" payed the times it was replicated.
This is how things work!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
You're confusing Copyright with Viewership-right. The first exist and the second doesn't. It doesn't matter how many people see a movie, just like doesn't matter how many people watch a specific episode in Television(re-runs) or how many people watch a DVD/Blueray, nor how many people watch/use a merchandise item.

Nope, nobody receives royalties for that, what they receive royalties is for the copies of those products.
Royalties for how many replicas of a given merchandise item, Royalties for how many replicas of a given DVD/Blueray, Royalties for how many replicas a TV episode and how many replicas a Movie in theater has. For the last two it is considered to only existing one replica(it could be considered many, if we counted each TV Channel as having a copy and counted each screen in the Theaters), and so the author is only payed one time.

Note how an author receives royalties for every disk of a movie is sold and every disk of a TV anime is sold and also for every merchandise piece.
And also note that in the magazine the author doesn't receives royalties money for every magazine that is sold, Nope, he receives just one up front money for creating the chapter.

Basically:

Magazine(Up-front) -> Volume(Royalties)
TV anime(Up-front) -> Disk(Royalties)
Movie(Up-front) -> Disk(Royalties)
Amusement Park, Arcades and similar stuff(Up-front) -> Merchandise(Royalties)

High use of the "same thing" payed 1 time. High replication of "one thing" payed the times it was replicated.
This is how things work!

No, there is no confusion - at least when it comes to this, because it not works the same as in west. To author of manga there is no such thing as royalty where it comes to something other than his own manga - what author gets from every disc, every saled figurine and piece of merchandise is NOTHING, except the paid upfront fee - and because of it, the main part of profit of every manga author is the manga volumes itself. Here we come to the same message by Sorachi Hideaki himself where he's again stated the fact that manga volumes is the basis of mangaka's profit.

Quote:
So ma’am, if you’re feeling sorry for us, don’t just watch the movies, but also buy our books so that we can live at Roppongi Hills with the publishing royalties.

So basically, it more looks like this:

Magazine - payment for chapter pages in issue, very small part of profit, except when author is a beginner and didn't made much in volume sales.
Manga volume - payment per volume sales. Main part of every mangaka's profits.
Anime, merchandise - no royalties, just the upfront fee to author. If it turns profitable, the ones who get the all profit for all of that is the ones who made it - publisher, production committee, or manufacturer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3