• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Dubs Cast Real Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I know the dubs of Strawberry Marshmallow and Nadia: Secret of Blue Water had real kids playing the kids. Strawberry Marshmallow was squee worthy, and the kids in Nadia did such a good job, especially Jean, that I had no idea how young they were. I assumed Jean was voiced by an adult woman.

When the original Lunar the Silver Star came out, they cast Ashley Angel as a young kid as Alex at the time, he went through puberty when Silver Star Story came out but decided to keep him anyway since they felt the remake's Alex was more mature than the original.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Because most anime might not have suitable content for them to cast KIDS in.

See these twin characters? They're known for shamelessly making out in Shakugan no Shana. And Brian Drummond's son, Aidan Drummond, was cast as the boy. He was 11-12 years old at the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
One thing that Eng. dubs sometimes have over some Japanese versions is that the former often get adult men to play adult versions of the boy character. Compare this to Mayumi Tanaka playing an adult Krillin.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
The questioner is mistaken on School Babysitters. I don't think there are any child VA's in its cast.

You're correct. All of the VAs for the small child characters in School Babysitters are adult women.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Finding kids that can actually voice act isn't that easy either.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I figured it's because boys' voices change so much.

Hey Arnold's title character was voiced by about six different little boys (counting the newest movie) If you watch the show in order, the changes can be a little jarring, somewhat.

I remember watching Hey Arnold as a kid and thought it was so cool that the actors were all kids, but I imagine it was an absolute pain in the ass to constantly coach and recast those roles on such a regular basis. Fun story, Eugene grew up to be Joseph Joestar and that will never not make me laugh.

I know Aaron's a full grown adult now but every time I hear him I can't help but feel like a proud aunt seeing her nephew on Thanksgiving. "Aww, he sounds so grown up! I remember when he was just a kid and crying about his head falling off!"
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I suppose that is one advantage of recording in LA since child actors are more common. On one of the commentaries for R.O.D the TV it was mentioned that Rachel was already involved with other non-anime productions. She was in the later seasons of Ikki Tousen that New Generation recorded, and she sounded different, which isn't too surprising since she was in her 20s by then.

Heh, I was going to mention Rachel Hirschfeld in ROD the TV as being the best example of child acting I've ever heard in a dub. Then again both that show and Ergo Proxy were dubbed by Jonathan Klein and New Generation pictures, and they were the top tier of all anime dubbing studios.

You're mostly correct, though Taliesin Jaffe was the ADR Director of R.O.D. the TV. I know this because R.O.D. the TV has what is probably my favorite English Dub of all time.

She was even in Girls Bravo of all things...
There's also Megan Harvey,who did a couple of anime with Rachel in that period,including the adorable lead of Kamichu
Also,never forget that Oniai got actual kids to voice two of the heroines...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I definitely remember Mona Marshall's name would come up SO much in anime, and in some western animation too, because she was good at voicing boys. So much that they even cast her in South Park from time to time. The same can be said with Cathy Weseluck as far as Canadian voice actors go, which has led to her getting more or less typecast as little boys, even though she has a lot more range than that.

Lord Oink wrote:
Even if you can't cast kids in America, you can at least cast people (women) who try to sound like kids. So many cartoons these days have kid characters who have voices that don't even attempt to change their 30+ year old voices, like Gravity Falls or the Ducktales reboot. It's so offputting.

Eh, it's just something you get used to. Just like an anime fan eventually gets used to those squeaky helium voices some female characters have that seem to constantly veer close to inaudible range but never quite gets there.

Green Luthor wrote:
Famously, Charles Schulz insisted on only using child actors for all the animated Peanuts specials, starting with A Charlie Brown Christmas (one of several reasons CBS was hesitant to produce it in the first place). And, well... you can tell those were not professional actors. (Sally's actor was pretty much recording only a few words at best at a time instead of entire lines. Hence her delivery of "All I want is what. I have coming to me all I want. Is my fair share.")

And to be clear, I'm not knocking the Peanuts cartoons. I watch A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown every year. But if you want to know why children aren't cast more often to play children, they're a pretty good example of what that can end up sounding like.

The insistence on child actos is why, unlike with other popular comic strips, Peanuts began with only specials and the occasional theatrical movie: It was just not feasible otherwise. Eventually, they WERE able to get enough resources to make a full TV show, The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show. And then Boomerang got another one, simply called Peanuts, a few years ago.

Whenever Pixar has a major character who's young, they'll always look for someone about that character's age to voice them. I remember the commentary for Finding Nemo and Up and how they said it was so much trouble and so expensive to find kids who could actually act well, be mature enough to stay in the recording booth for a while, and understood their character well enough to feel genuine. (Not sure if they say anything about that with Miguel in Coco--I was going to pick up the Blu-Ray in a bit, so I'll find out soon enough.) But this is Pixar, a company that can afford to do that.

Primus wrote:
Because most Canadian dubs are unionized, they tend to cast kids more than a lot of U.S. dubs do. The ongoing Beyblade Burst dub features a lot of teenagers, for example.

Boys are difficult to cast on long runners. The original Beyblade's dub had the five leads played by pre-teen/early teenage boys. By the time recording for the series and movie wrapped, at least one of them (the kid that voiced Max) had their voice drop. IIRC, the same one even wound up moving out of the Toronto area, requiring Nelvana to lease out studio time locally to him. That Beyblade series "only" ran for 3 years. Ocean's pilot for One Piece had a very young Andrew Francis as Luffy. Imagine if they got the dub and it was successful. They'd either have deal with his deepened voice or recast the lead.

If we lived in an alternate timeline where the dub wasn't maligned because of its U.S. TV run, recording Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card with its original cast would be difficult. Not only were the actors behind Sakura and Li both children when the dub was recorded, Rhy Huber, the actor behind Li, pretty much quit acting years ago.

Andrew Francis was going to voice Luffy? That's even more amusing than Sam Vincent getting cast as Zoro.

Speaking of which, I remember the decision to cast younger girls as all three CMC members in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. I guess it's less of a problem that the show has gone on for as long as it did though, as girls' voices don't change quite as much as boys.

Kadmos1 wrote:
One thing that Eng. dubs sometimes have over some Japanese versions is that the former often get adult men to play adult versions of the boy character. Compare this to Mayumi Tanaka playing an adult Krillin.

Let alone Goku! Japanese is the only language I've heard Dragon Ball anything in where adult Goku is not voiced by a man. It's so jarring.

CelestialEmpress wrote:
I remember watching Hey Arnold as a kid and thought it was so cool that the actors were all kids, but I imagine it was an absolute pain in the ass to constantly coach and recast those roles on such a regular basis. Fun story, Eugene grew up to be Joseph Joestar and that will never not make me laugh.

He was BEN DISKIN?

Has anyone done the math and figured out how old he was when he voiced Nigel in Codename: Kids Next Door? It wasn't all that long after Hey Arnold!, after all.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Green Luthor wrote:
Famously, Charles Schulz insisted on only using child actors for all the animated Peanuts specials, starting with A Charlie Brown Christmas (one of several reasons CBS was hesitant to produce it in the first place). And, well... you can tell those were not professional actors. (Sally's actor was pretty much recording only a few words at best at a time instead of entire lines. Hence her delivery of "All I want is what. I have coming to me all I want. Is my fair share.")

And that actually worked for Peanuts (although critics at the time disagreed), since the central humor of the Schulz strip was of little kids unexpectedly saying adult things beyond their years.
Here, amateur kids saying adult lines as if they barely understood what they were saying translated the main quaint-absurdity of the humor. If one of the Olsen Twins from Full House read the same "union" joke about Santa with professional delivery, she'd come off as a little snot.

By the same token, it wouldn't work for anime, quite as much, to have little genius Chiyo-chan from "Azumanga Daioh" sound halting and puzzled like Sally.
(Instead of just implausibly cute and darling beyond the powers of any real-life 10-yo. Anime smile )

MajinAkuma wrote:
Finding kids that can actually voice act isn't that easy either.

It's rather hard to find Japanese kids to be VA's either, and even the 7-yo. who voiced baby-zilla Bo in the Japanese "Spirited Away" had plenty of live-action TV work to his credit by that point.
In the US, Bo had to be voiced by one of the Powerpuff Girls, and sounded just exactly cute-evil enough.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Japan is sometimes different about casting males, if the male character is rather feminine or childish they sometimes cast a voice actress to voice said character. This is why certain males like Goku, Kenshin, Bakura, Krillin, Luffy, Naruto have female voices for a long time.

Then again there's sometimes when Japan casts older sounding males for younger roles that kind of is bizarre. Sasuke for instance in Naruto is suppose to be the same age as Naruto but he sounds like he has exited puberty already.

Akira Ishida in Samurai Deeper Ryo voices a male character that is suppose to be 12, in fact the English dub version has a woman voicing the part instead.

Fist of the North Star used Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta's voice actor) a lot for younger versions of Kenshiro, Souther etc.

Nozomu Sasaki was picked to play kids sometimes in things like Heroic Legend of Arslan and Darkside Blues despite being in his 20s.

Kappei Yamaguichi's also done some kid roles, the weirdest being the 3rd Violence Jack OVA voicing the little kid in that.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Because most anime might not have suitable content for them to cast KIDS in.

I can almost guarantee that is not the reason. You can see child actors all the time in live action horror movies, and most anime that has child characters is not going to be obscenely objetionable anyway. And if it is, the content of the work means very little in the first place, as voice actors generally know only the immediate context of a scene when they go in to voice it, unless they happen to be a main character. It's not at all difficult to shield a child from the content of the work they are acting in.

Ah, so that's why they couldn't get kids to dub Fate Prisma Illya.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
David Matranga's session was considered fast for the first season because his character spoke so little that his recording for that season was done in half a day. If that is considered fast for an adult, I have to think that kids a realistic option.

Casting real children could be more feasible in traditional dubs (when all the episodes are dubbed together/at once), but with simuldubs it seems impossible.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This sort of thing is less of a problem in Japan, where anime voices are recorded in a big ensemble session. Having everyone voice their lines at once makes for a much more engaging experience for kids. That said, even in Japan it's pretty rare for kids to voice a major ongoing character. Almost all major child roles in longer TV series are filled by adult women.

I thought it wasn't tha uncommon in Japan. When I looked up roles in certain series, they starred actual teenage seiyuus, even for fanservice shows. I don't know if the management company they're with has some kind of arrangement with the school, but it doesn't seem too uncommon with teenagers at least. For example Hayami Saori was in Touka Gettan and played main character Musubi in Seikerei while in high school, likewise for Hidaka Rina in Maken-ki and Ladies versus Butlers! (she was 15 then)
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
The kid from kokkoku sounds like a real kid.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 cast real teenage girls as Boy-type Ranma (Sarah Strange), Girl-type Ranma (Brigitta Dau), Akane (Myriam Sirois), Nabiki (Angela Costain), and Kasumi (Willow Johnson). Of course, they got older as the show went along (with Sarah, Brigitta, and Angela quitting at different points), but they were apparently around 16-19 when the show first began recording in 1993. It was pretty bold for the time.

Ocean did this a lot. They also did it with Carly McKillip as Sakura in Cardcaptors, Andrea Libman as Chi-Chi in Dragon Ball and Ikuko in Maison Ikkoku, Christopher Turner as Ully in Ronin Warriors, and some others. Also, Lalainia Lindbjerg was 19 when she started voicing Bulma, if that counts. Optimum mostly avoided this for Sailor Moon, but Stephanie Beard was 18 when she voiced Rini/Sailor Mini-Moon.

Also, 4Kids tried a real kid as Ash in Pokemon, but that didn't work out. Some of the foreign dubs did this, but kept the same kid throughout the show, even as his voice changed (the Mexican Spanish dub being one example).

This is far more common in American cartoons though, and not just Peanuts. These days, it actually seems to be more common to cast real children instead of adults that sound like children.

Honestly, if you have a voice actress like Mona Marshall, there's no need for real children. She's so perfect at sounding like a little boy, it's uncanny. Brianne Siddall and Cathy Weseluck are great too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4