• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Etten no Sora Manga Artist Blames Hobby Japan, 'Human Rights' for [New Life+] Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
He's right.

And people defending communism here really makes me sick. Really shows how some of you have never suffered from those kind of regimes. We know a bit of that here in south america.
Mia S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lots of Chinese watch anime + you call Chinese people cockroaches = you´re insulting your costumers. That's all.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

God, what a snowflake. He sounds exactly like those thin skinned 'anti S.J.W' reactionaries. If anything, Japan is way too light on racism. So I'm glad international audiences now have the power to stick it to these creeps.

Do you think international audiences have that kind of power in Japan?
The biggest problem wasn't that he made foreigners mad.

I know plenty of LN's that make Chinese and other foreigners look bad and none of them was canceled.

This got canceled because Japanese audience also got mad with the racist comments, and was that that make voice actors and talent management agency get out of the project. And in the end, even the publisher drooped the LN.
Racist comments on social media is bad publicity for them, and any good Japanese company don't want to get involved in scandals that make their Japanese audience mad. If the author got caught with drugs, even marijuana, the same would happen.

Japan are also cranking down on racism nowdays and social media can make some bad comments more visible, and is god that is happening so racism be removed from the industry.

But all comes down to image, No company in Japan want a bad image inside Japan.

And that is what Chiharu Takano was talking about. He is afraid that something said in a social media that makes a storm inside Japan can bring down a artist or author, He is afraid that some comments that the Japanese audience find offensive can destroy a carrier in Japan.

The big lesson is: Think very well in what you write in social media because that can come back to bite you in the future.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So I'm glad international audiences now have the power to stick it to these creeps.

They don't, however. As mangamuscle pointed out this is only relevant to the relationship Japan has with China and Korea.

Years ago ANN was up in arms about Terra Formars being racist because people thought the cockroaches were racist caricatures of black people. Nothing came out of it because Japan doesn't care if it offends Americans, or more specifically, blacks. Likewise, Nazi imagery is everywhere in Japanese media, despite westerner's complaints. As much as I'm sure westerners would love to control the anime industry, it's pretty hyperbolic to say we have the power to stick it to Japan in any meaningful impact.

-Stuart Smith
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Said it had to come to this but hey it was his opinon.Is he going to jail I hope not.I realize you want to have good PR.but cancelling his show might make the author more popluar and get to sell more books.
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So I'm glad international audiences now have the power to stick it to these creeps.

They don't, however. As mangamuscle pointed out this is only relevant to the relationship Japan has with China and Korea.

Years ago ANN was up in arms about Terra Formars being racist because people thought the cockroaches were racist caricatures of black people. Nothing came out of it because Japan doesn't care if it offends Americans, or more specifically, blacks. Likewise, Nazi imagery is everywhere in Japanese media, despite westerner's complaints. As much as I'm sure westerners would love to control the anime industry, it's pretty hyperbolic to say we have the power to stick it to Japan in any meaningful impact.

-Stuart Smith

and they should not care what we think ,it is their industry.Why should they cater to our fee fees hurt.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
wintersun wrote:
Said it had to come to this but hey it was his opinon.Is he going to jail I hope not.I realize you want to have good PR.but cancelling his show might make the author more popluar and get to sell more books.

It would have to sell a lot to make up for the hit all other LN of the publisher could take should the people really take offense to them keeping the dude after the references to war crimes became public. The domestic public doesn't like controversy and the Asian market for Isekai novels... Well...

Not that it had much hope after the voice actresses jumped ship.
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:
wintersun wrote:

It would have to sell a lot to make up for the hit all other LN of the publisher could take should the people really take offense to them keeping the dude after the references to war crimes became public. The domestic public doesn't like controversy and the Asian market for Isekai novels... Well...

Not that it had much hope after the voice actresses jumped ship.

Well I always belive the adage bad PR is good PR.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
wintersun wrote:

Yeah, uh, that works for celebrities and maybe some politicians. And not even true in most cases, if you are caught saying a black person in your crowd should be lynched or wanking in a theater you will be in bad waters. If that was always true then there would be no need for people to study marketing and PR, just make cheeky references to nazis in all your products and get infinite sales. Laughing
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:
wintersun wrote:

Yeah, uh, that works for celebrities and maybe some politicians. And not even true in most cases, if you are caught saying a black person in your crowd should be lynched or wanking in a theater you will be in bad waters. If that was always true then there would be no need for people to study marketing and PR, just make cheeky references to nazis in all your products and get infinite sales. Laughing

Even then thought it works for some and agin did he tell anyone hurt anyone.It silly becasue someone went to jail because he created a Youtube Video as a joke wich involved his dog gas the jews and told the dog sig hail and it was a joke for his Girlfriend.It was joke but he went to jail for it.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
wintersun wrote:

Yeah, it does not work this way in Japan. Literally name ONE Japanese person of note who experienced 'bad PR' and then benefited from it as a result. Japan is a country where Idols get fired for the 'scandal' of daring to not be single, ruining their pure, untouched, and available image to their fans.
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
wintersun wrote:

Yeah, it does not work this way in Japan. Literally name ONE Japanese person of note who experienced 'bad PR' and then benefited from it as a result. Japan is a country where Idols get fired for the 'scandal' of daring to not be single, ruining their pure, untouched, and available image to their fans.

Understood now.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
wintersun wrote:

Even then thought it works for some and agin did he tell anyone hurt anyone.It silly becasue someone went to jail because he created a Youtube Video as a joke wich involved his dog gas the jews and told the dog sig hail and it was a joke for his Girlfriend.It was joke but he went to jail for it.

Why are you trying to associate a case that involves a joke with a case where the person definitely was not joking?

Why are you trying to compare a case where a person got persecuted by the state with a case where a private company did not want to have any more connection with a walking PR disaster?
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Artesox wrote:

Why are you trying to associate a case that involves a joke with a case where the person definitely was not joking?

Why are you trying to compare a case where a person got persecuted by the state with a case where a private company did not want to have any more connection with a walking PR disaster?

Both are still part of free speech,if both were not trying to phyically harm a people why get so upset.

I understand HJ is a priveate company but they could have handled it better.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
He had every right to say what he wanted.

The publisher also has every right to no longer do business with the author for what he said.

China also has the right to ban the anime,LN.

Customer has the right to boycott the anime,LN,author.

'Right' is a mutual thing and not just limited to writer only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6