• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Anime's English-Dubbed Teaser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
Netflix original Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya
or : "How to transform a anime in a American cartoon using CG that looks like a PC game trailer".

Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep the original Japanese anime version.

Transformers03 wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I wonder what sort of reaction they would gotten from Netflix subscribers if the trailer read:

"FROM THE DIRECTOR OF CROSS ANGE"

Because visually I am seeing some similarities in this trailer from bright colors to even seeing the protagonists being attacked by what looks like military equipment (the helicopters).

Is CROSS ANGE a popular show? I don't know, I haven't watch it yet.

For some parts of the western fandom is like if "Glitter Force" (Netflix version of Smile PreCure! ) was directed by Eiji Suganuma, the director of Kodomo no Jikan.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
@Sergorn: I won't say it's perfection but was animated decently for a certain portion of the series.

There are interviews with the first Director, Kozo Morishita, which explained when he was involved with the Sanctuary Arc, he would break the budget on each episode because he had just finished working on the Transformers film at the time and didn't realize there was a limit with how much can be spent on TV shows.

When the arc wrapped up, he was replaced by another director for the Asgard and Poseidon arcs and the change in animation quality did show in those episodes. Ironically enough, this has been a trend in Saint Seiya where after certain arcs, the quality went downhill with each director change (see Hades starting with Inferno and Omega season 2).

luisedgarf wrote:
Most of the complains, at least in other Spanish-speaking forums, are about Seiya's VA, as, unlike the rest of the cast, he is a newcomer on voice acting, and Seiya is practically his debut role as VA. Keep in mind Seiya's original voice actor in the dub, Jesus Barrero, died two years ago, and it was pretty obvious someone would had to replace him, but no one expected Seiya being voiced by someone whose voice acting skills, at least in the trailer, are next to awful.

So they pulled what Japan did with Saori/Athena in Legend of Sanctuary by casting a VA with no experience? That's a damn shame, I'm very aware of how big Saint Seiya is over there and I know there was another dub when they got to working on Hades so I wonder why couldn't they get TV Seiya back? Was he just as bad?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
@Sergorn: I won't say it's perfection but was animated decently for a certain portion of the series.

There are interviews with the first Director, Kozo Morishita, which explained when he was involved with the Sanctuary Arc, he would break the budget on each episode because he had just finished working on the Transformers film at the time and didn't realize there was a limit with how much can be spent on TV shows.

When the arc wrapped up, he was replaced by another director for the Asgard and Poseidon arcs and the change in animation quality did show in those episodes. Ironically enough, this has been a trend in Saint Seiya where after certain arcs, the quality went downhill with each director change (see Hades starting with Inferno and Omega season 2).

Even before the Sanctuary arc ended, Kozo Morishita had been promoted from director to producer at Toei (around episode 50 if I'm not mistaken) so he could also oversee Dragon Ball, which meant Saint Seiya was essentially director-free for over 20 episodes. When Kazuhito Kikuchi took over with episode 74, I didn't really notice a drop in animation quality, except for the fact that Shingo Araki had to take almost the entire Asgard arc off because he was busy working on the third movie. Still, he came back for the Poseidon arc and did some of the show's best-looking episodes.

Saint Seiya didn't have a perfect animation director rotation, and the Shizuo Kawai episodes towards the end of the Sanctuary arc (one of which was the source of the Aphrodite screenshot Sergorn posted) are almost unwatchably ugly, but I think most of the animation directors like Masahiro Naoi, Tomoko Kobayashi and especially Eisaku Inoue did a good job keeping the characters' look consistent. And then an ugly Nobuyoshi Sasakado episode would come on and break the pattern.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

luisedgarf wrote:
Most of the complains, at least in other Spanish-speaking forums, are about Seiya's VA, as, unlike the rest of the cast, he is a newcomer on voice acting, and Seiya is practically his debut role as VA. Keep in mind Seiya's original voice actor in the dub, Jesus Barrero, died two years ago, and it was pretty obvious someone would had to replace him, but no one expected Seiya being voiced by someone whose voice acting skills, at least in the trailer, are next to awful.

So they pulled what Japan did with Saori/Athena in Legend of Sanctuary by casting a VA with no experience? That's a damn shame, I'm very aware of how big Saint Seiya is over there and I know there was another dub when they got to working on Hades so I wonder why couldn't they get TV Seiya back? Was he just as bad?

Japan doesn't seem to care much about consistency when it comes to Saint Seiya voices.Saintia Shou is giving Saori her fifth voice-actress while the replacements from Hades OVAs are reprising the classic characters(with some of them,like Aiolia,still retaining their voices from the original 80's anime),so shouldn't Fumiko Orikasa have come back(like she did for the recent Saint Seiya games?)?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Making Ikki a girl would've been a way better and more interesting choice, though I guess they might not want to do that since he's the villain of the first arc, so they'd be putting off the female main character until the second season, but Hyoga or Shiryuu could've worked and would've still been better choices. Hell, I'd be fine with female Seiya too, but I get that going in that direction with the lead might've been a bit too controversial

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought about this. Since that trailer already established that this isn't going to be a straight adaptation, I'm fine with the idea of gender bending a character, but choosing Shun is the laziest choice they could have made. Female Shiryu would have been a neat way to examine how a girl can be just as self-sacrificing, dedicated, & badass as Shiryu originally was (& they could have even Shunrei a good if they wanted, adding in a little something for the LGBTQ+ community). Female Hyoga would have been a good role model for girls, since the character is generally the calm, cool, collective, & (most importantly) smart member of the group; he would have been the second safest choice, though. Female Ikki, on the other hand, probably would have been the most interesting choice, but I can see why that'd also be one of the trickiest ones to implement.

Eugene Son also tries explaining that downgrading someone like Marin or Shina to Bronzes would have been hated by fans, but I think fans would have loved seeing one of them, especially Shina, be given more screen time by being made into a sixth major character. I'm still withholding full judgment until this show debuts, but I do think there could have been better options than simply making the most effeminate character into a girl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
I already had low expectations for this anime when I heard it was 3d cg, but dear god...
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Female Hyoga would have been a good role model for girls, since the character is generally the calm, cool, collective, & (most importantly) smart member of the group; he would have been the second safest choice, though.

Well, that's more or less what Omega did: Yuna corresponds more or less to the Hyoga role (even to the point of briefly fighting her own teacher) and as a character she did have interesting things to say about the role of women as Saints. Unsurprisingly, she also became the break-out character of that part of the franchise.
One other problem I see is that Shun's character traits do not even comply with how Kurumada generally portrays women (with perhaps the exception of the pining girlfriend types like Shunrei or Esmeralda): in his works women are mostly not defined by gentleness, but rather by force of will, experience and a sense of order. Quite often in his manga it's women who have the "Obi-wan Kenobi" role.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Yes, but at least the new cast replacing the previous voice actors are being received more warmly than Seiya's VA, because Netflix and Toei could easily had casted a veteran voice actor for the job. Keep in mind Jesus Barrero was not the only voice actor who voiced Seiya in the Latin American Spanish dub, but others did the job for many reasons, like Irwin Daayan, who voiced him in the TV version of the Hades saga OVAs, or Adrian Fogarty, who voiced him in one of the movies, and both actors are still alive and well.

In this case, not only Seiya's new VA is a newcomer, but also sounds awful to boot, compared with the rest of the cast. Even Hyoga's new voice actor, Alfonso Herrera, who, while he didn't had previous voice acting experience, at least he have experience working in live-action series (he played Hernando in Sense8 in the original version, not in the dub, not to mention he is also a singer. He also voiced Baki in the 2018 series)
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Shun added diversity to the group with his more feminine and gentle personality. They obviously can't keep this with the gender bend since it would seem super stereotypical so now the whole group dynamic is more boring and samey. What a terrible and poorly thought out change.

Its kind of ironic that they destroyed the female fan favorite character to pander to women though. (Who will likely refuse to watch on principal now)
Raneth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
The reasoning for changing Shun is fine, but I'm still a bit bummed. A lot of the reason women were into the show was not to relate to female characters, it was to look at the sexy pretty boys. An all-male show was great because you had tons of eye-candy. Shun being female means you lose some of that audience, especially the fujoshi.

All I want is a remake of the original story. Why does every reboot and remake change vital things?
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

While there's also complains about the animation or the fact Shun is a girl now, those are considered as minor nuisances compared with Seiya's voice. At least they brought many, but not all, the original voice actors from the previous animated adaptations.

Seiya's new spanish actor isn't exactly a newcomer, he is a startalent. A celebrity that is doing voice acting for marketing reasons. And not only Seiya was replaced too, but Hyoga as well, and his new actor is no other than Alfonso Herrera, the guy who works on hollywood productions today.

The latin american spanish dub of the new Baki anime have startalents too. Alfonso Herrera is voicing Baki in the case.
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
At least, it seems the brazilian portuguese dub is amazing, judgind by the trailer. They preserved almost the entire 90's cast in the last 25 years.

Even Shun's voice was correctly replaced in this new series due to the gender bending. The new VA for Shun is Ursula Bezerra (Naruto, kid Goku) who is Ulisses Bezerra's sister.

Also, something curious is that in both brazilian and mexican dubs, female Shun is being voiced by the actresses who dub Naruto in both dubs.
Maybe we can have Maile Flanagan and Junko Takeuchi as Shun in english and japanese versions.

Also, yesterday at Comic Con Experience in Brazil they also showed the brazilian portuguese dubbed trailer of Saintia Sho. It seems it will be simuldubbed in Brazil.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I wonder what sort of reaction they would gotten from Netflix subscribers if the trailer read:

"FROM THE DIRECTOR OF CROSS ANGE"

Because visually I am seeing some similarities in this trailer from bright colors to even seeing the protagonists being attacked by what looks like military equipment (the helicopters).

Is CROSS ANGE a popular show? I don't know, I haven't watch it yet.

The more times I watch the trailer, the more I like the animation. It isn't the greatest thing ever, but it is more emotive and fluid than anything I've seen in Polygon. This isn't to say I hate Polygon Pictures, in fact I really a lot of their shows. It is just I feel like their animation style is more stagnant.

I feel like a lot of the knee-jerk reactions from this trailer stems from how western and kiddie it looks, and, of course, the whole thing with Shun. While I don't think I am the authority to judge Shun in this new adaptation, I now think this new Saint Seiya show can be a great entry point for young children.

Have a very little brother or young niece, and you want them to get into Saint Seiya? Show them this. Even if this new show isn't the greatest children show ever, most kids will probably still like the colors and the action. Even if this new Saint Seiya isn't for you, it can still be an excellent starting point for any little kids.

CROSS ANGE really isn't an anime I would recommend and I doubt that I would watch it again seeing how dark and intense it was for me. Just the first episode alone is really hard to watch. But I ended up watching the whole anime anyways because I couldn't help but want to know what the main heroine of the "fallen princess" goes through, what difficulties/troubles she left to face with after losing everything and being rejected by everyone, and what she becomes as the story progresses (and also because it had a pretty solid cast of Japanese VAs). It's definitely NOT an anime you show to kids and I find it ironic that the director of that anime was later hired by Netflix to help introduce the Saint Seiya franchise to new audiences.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:

Seiya's new spanish actor isn't exactly a newcomer, he is a startalent. A celebrity that is doing voice acting for marketing reasons. And not only Seiya was replaced too, but Hyoga as well, and his new actor is no other than Alfonso Herrera, the guy who works on hollywood productions today.

The latin american spanish dub of the new Baki anime have startalents too. Alfonso Herrera is voicing Baki in the case.

I already know that, in the case you didn't bothered to read my post. What I'm trying to say is Alfonso Herrera at least is doing (or at least trying to do) a decent job as Hyoga than the guy voicing Seiya, since he already had some acting experience, both in voice acting and in Hollywood as well. On the other hand, Seiya's new voice actor not only is someone which is basically an unknown on voice acting, but also is doing a really bad job on that. His only merit is being the brother of Gael Garcia Bernal and acting in "La Casa de las Flores" for Netflix.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

For some parts of the western fandom is like if "Glitter Force" (Netflix version of Smile PreCure! ) was directed by Eiji Suganuma, the director of Kodomo no Jikan.[/quote]

I only watched one episode of the anime version of Kokomo no Jikan. Is it that dark?

You could also say that there's a little bit of Jessica Jones in the anime of CROSS ANGE spoiler[ (whisper) because she was almost raped by the bad guy.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5