• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Voting Now Open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
LOL, "Mary Elizabeth". What, no room for "McGlynn"?

Yep, noticed that too since I was looking specifically for her.

About Akira being listed as a comedy, I think the titles in that section are irrelevant since some nominees don't have titles next to their names and others have multiple titles. I voted for Bosch, but I don't think it'll make a difference if Akira or Trigun is next to his name, they apparently weren't looking for a specific title..

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought the lists were a mess, too, with several titles that haven't seen a single volume released this year on the list. And it still disturbs me a bit that this format is likely to end up as a popularity contest. (Have enough people seen Ninja Nonsense to assure that Sean Schemmel receives the acting award for it that he so richly deserves, for instance?)

I voted only for titles actually released in 2006 and tried to go for the highest quality pick amongst those. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Oh, well. At least I can assure you all that ANN's recommendations were responsible and strictly limited to 2006 stuff. Hopefully they'll have their act together better for next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
i haven't even seen the site and i know by you alls judgement and corrections this isnt good.

i think the concept is nice. in fact o was just gonna do a thread in anime section saying wouldnt it be cool if they did. i mean spike tv had a vid game awards anime will have its time in the spotlight.

but should a panel of fans or the fans themselves not industry folks nominating their own stuff be deciing. plus shouldnt it be limited to this years stuff with exception to best classic anime or legendary anime or best long series (thats over 52 eps)

man. a nontaku must of put this stuff up or something. its a shame.

you know what this means. either we flodd them with angry e mails or ask this site to do its own award show because i think this place could do it right and use a convention like otakon or anime expo as a venue for an anime awards show. by fans for fans.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, I didn't put much credibility in to it to start since it relies so much on fan voting. While a good concept in thoery, the problem is since many series are just more popular and will gain more votes based on viewership numbers it makes it more a popularity contest than a contest of quality and subject matter. Now after seeing this I'm pretty amazed, this is far worse than I imagined it'd be.

I agree. I'm sure we all know hands down which anime will win for whatever. And also (sorry if this was mentioned already), I'm sure not everyone has seen the complete series for some animes, so it would already be unfair.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I love this idea, but I definately agree with you all on your concerns. Some of my ideas: Shouldn't they have more than just long series and short series? There's the really short ones like FLCL, then there's kind of mid ones like Samurai 7 and Fruits Basket, (about 20-30) and then there's really long ones that seem to go on forever like Inuyasha and Naruto.

Blaah, they're just going to be on Anime Network? I'm actually hoping someone puts it on YouTube, then. XP

I agree that there should be more acting categories like drama, action, etc.

I also think Monica Rial should be on the list for best actress/comedy actress.

And just because I'm biased and it's my favorite series, I want Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles on the manga list. T.T Wait a minute... NO CLAMP MANGA ARE ON THE MANGA LIST. Unbelievable.

Speculation: Maybe they have both people's choice AND judge's choice? I can see them doing that.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well the site for the voting is called survey monkey. lol

Did anyone actually vote though despite all the errors? It seems you can vote for an infinity number of times, and it does not even say "You're vote had been accepted" when your done.

It was weird too. When you pressed "back" the names would move around the list from the place they were previously in.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:
Well the site for the voting is called survey monkey. lol

Did anyone actually vote though despite all the errors? It seems you can vote for an infinity number of times, and it does not even say "You're vote had been accepted" when your done.

I voted. From what I can tell, you cannot vote an infinite number of times and that it saves something to prevent that because it loaded my vote choices again when I clicked on vote here a second time.

Quote:
It was weird too. When you pressed "back" the names would move around the list from the place they were previously in.
This is an anti-bot script. This way the x-th button is not always the same so someone can't script voting so easily.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I started filling this out, then quit. This is idiotic. In a true awards competition, you don't have dozens of nominees in each category. There should be five at most. That's the reason you have a nomination round in the first place, to whittle the competitors down to the most deserving.

------RM
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
]
Sadly, the release of anime in the US is so disorganized that they have no way to effectively limit what can be nominated without disqualifying many worthy titles, which would defeat the purpose of the awards in the first place, which is to provide exposure and recognition to quality work.

Sorry, but just looking at the nominations proves that this is a quantity over quality type of award. There are some horribly weak titles on the lists, with some glaring omissions. InuYasha and FMA in the movie category, but nothing by Kon or Miyazaki? I don't think I saw Cowboy Bebop anywhere, either, which for something so dub centric is surprising. I didn't pay much attention to the nominations thing going on because it was so centered around dubs, but now I see this has more to do with what people have seen on Cartoon Network than it does quality in anime and manga.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

\ InuYasha and FMA in the movie category, but nothing by Kon or Miyazaki? .

Um, there was Paprika on the list.

I had trouble on this poll. I'm not a person who regularly keeps track on voice actors (outside prominent ones I know) so i only reconized half of them (i should've used the encyclopedia)

So i left some blank, just so i don't vote for someone who didn't deserve it.

I also only seen only couple to parts of half of the titles. Although I've read reviews of the remaining, I haven't created my own judgment on those titles. ^^;

*sigh* As much as I love FMA, I wanted Gankutsuou to win...
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I wish this were less dub-only oriented. I barely watch dubs at all, so I don't know most of these people they mention, and most who I do know, I don't like. X_X
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
luhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
What a disappointment this turned out to be. I can't in good conscience participate in something so ridiculous. Why even have nominees? Why not let the voters pick from any anime in existence? That wouldn't be any sillier than what they're doing now.

What a joke.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
These "awards" had popularity contest written all over it the moment it was announced and these nominees prove it. How can they have a list of nominees for best comedy but not have Azumanga Daioh anywhere on the list? How can you have a best manga nominees list without any Clamp titles on it? How does Pokemon get nominated for best feature but Howl's Moving Castle doesn't? And why is Paprika even on the list when it hasn't even been released on DVD in the U.S. yet? And they had nominated the Tenchi Muyo OVAs for the best comedy list but which OVA was it? Is it the first two Ryo-ohkyi OVAs licensed by Geneon or is it the third Ryo-ohkyi OVA series licensed by Funi? Because if it's the first two OVAs I can see why they're on the list but the third OVAs hardly deserve to be on the list.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I started filling this out, then quit. This is idiotic. In a true awards competition, you don't have dozens of nominees in each category. There should be five at most. That's the reason you have a nomination round in the first place, to whittle the competitors down to the most deserving.

------RM

I thought the same thing. I can only hope they go ahead and do a second round of voting, otherwise they're going to waste a lot of time at the show just naming off nominees.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is sad, just sad.

I feel bad for all the actors listed. If they win, it's fairly meaningless because the nominees are so royally messed up. If they lose, well, it's also meaningless. They might as well just draw names from a hat at this point.

I found it strange how some categories had long lists of nominees and others had shorter lists. That didn't seem quite right either.

Sadly, I think a monkey at a typewriter could have done a better job with this. ...and maybe not use a cheap third-party survey generator too: http://surveymonkey.com/ ...but Survey Monkey's really the least of their problems.

I was thinking it would have been nice to see other categories like best anime publication, anime web site, anime convention, etc... However, after seeing them screw up what they did have, it's probably a good thing there isn't more.

I just hope the rest of NYCC is better organized than this mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6