• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN Staff Opening: Video Game Critic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Only hikikomori otaku need apply. Wink

No, no, it's "Only adults that really do this for their jobs need apply." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

No, no, it's "Only adults that really do this for their jobs need apply." Laughing

This kinda sums it up. I'm not really looking for a rookie who can use the position to get their feet wet; I need someone with a lot of experience, who's reliable, and preferably freelances for a living.

There are other positions we have that are perfect for newbie writers, but this isn't really one of them. On the off chance that someone with little to no experience turns in sample reviews that exhibit mind-blowing writing, then I'll consider them, but writing reviews like this is a combination of writing skill and professionalism, being able to handle deadlines without giving me a hundred excuses why their stuff isn't in on time, etc.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Only hikikomori otaku need apply. Wink

Hikikomori do it to survive. Rookies they're not. But your right, they won't understand the term "deadline". But there is the danger here that whoever gets this position could fall into becoming a hikikomori. Hope they have good health insurance. Wink
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope I can make it Smile.

The reviews and the short description about myself suppose to be on the same page, right? I don't need to use 3 different pages
Yunacat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
@Zac: Are there any more open smaller jobs? I've been looking for something job-wise to do to make money while being in school. I don't want it to be something that takes up my time to go outside the house to do, then i won't have time to study. Note that i'm of age, otherwise i wouldn't bother asking.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yunacat wrote:
@Zac: Are there any more open smaller jobs? I've been looking for something job-wise to do to make money while being in school. I don't want it to be something that takes up my time to go outside the house to do, then i won't have time to study. Note that i'm of age, otherwise i wouldn't bother asking.

I don't think this is a paying job, but rather volunteer work because you like to do what the job description is asking. Only three members of the entire ANN staff actually get payed to do their work here.
Yunacat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Yunacat wrote:

I don't think this is a paying job, but rather volunteer work because you like to do what the job description is asking. Only three members of the entire ANN staff actually get payed to do their work here.

No, it's paid. Look, this is the first paragraph in the info for sigining up..

ANN Info wrote:
ANN is seeking a professional, hardworking video game critic to review games either directly related to anime and manga properties or are of specific interest to anime and manga fans (including Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy or anime-style games like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney). Applicants must be willing to commit to no fewer than 2 game reviews per month, at an approximate length of 1500 words. This is a paid position.

The final sentence of the first paragraph clearly states that it is a paid position...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

No. Only three members of the ANN staff are full-time salaried employees. Everyone who writes content for the site is paid.

Yunacat wrote:

Currently we have no other openings, but this isn't the way to go about asking me about it, either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Bah, why the hell is ANN finally taking reviewers when I'm too busy to apply? Crying or Very sad And most of my articles are tied to a dead site to boot. double Sad I guess, in my place, I'd nominate Furious Famicom F***ot. Rolling Eyes
Yunacat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

No. Only three members of the ANN staff are full-time salaried employees. Everyone who writes content for the site is paid.

Yunacat wrote:

Currently we have no other openings, but this isn't the way to go about asking me about it, either.

Thanks for the info. And sorry bout that.. ^^;;
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

My apologies, I must have been on something when I posted. The thought of the volunteering moderators was probably it.
lrdapoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Any progress on this situation? I know you mentioned wanting to have it in hand by the 16th.

Just curious.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
lrdapoc wrote:
Any progress on this situation? I know you mentioned wanting to have it in hand by the 16th.

Just curious.

This isn't a contest; if you're selected for the position, you'll be contacted. If not, you won't. We aren't going to "announce" the "winner".
lrdapoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
lrdapoc wrote:

Just curious.

This isn't a contest; if you're selected for the position, you'll be contacted. If not, you won't. We aren't going to "announce" the "winner".

Fair enough, but I believe that was not what I was asking. I would hope after making a news posting about it that you would announce you were adding someone to the staff.. I was just asking about that. Sorry if it bothered you that I inquired as to the status of an opening.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
lrdapoc wrote:

Fair enough, but I believe that was not what I was asking. I would hope after making a news posting about it that you would announce you were adding someone to the staff.. I was just asking about that. Sorry if it bothered you that I inquired as to the status of an opening.

Generally we don't announce review staff, or any staff for that matter. Hell, when I came on as executive editor a year and change ago, there was no announcement.

Odds are you'll just start seeing game reviews show up once every 2 weeks or so.

It didn't bother me that you asked about it, but normally that's the kind of question we get when people are waiting to see whether or not they won a contest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4