• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Only Three Nominations for Best Animated Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
bluepita wrote:

Aren't penguins popular right now because of Happy Feet??? .

No, I think it was the Oscar-winning documentary "March of the Penguins" that did that. That being said, Happy Feet was being made at the same time as March, so it was just a happy accident for it.

I haven't seen pretty much...any animated movie this year, so....I can't say much more on the subject. Anime hyper

I'm going to have to argue with that, at least from a merchandising point of view. Penguins were marketed in a crazy way in December 2006, in a way no time in 2005 (year of March of the Penguins) can touch. They made a huge reoccurence as a Christmas theme as well as being immensely over-produced as a toy. Even homemade penguin themed clothes sold like crazy on ebay. It's the kids. While adults (and the Academy?) may have appreciated March of the Penguins more, your average kid is going to go for the animated bird any day of the week. (Add to that the fact that Happy Feet seemed to deal with some fairly sophisicated topics while also playing as a comedy, and you'll see it probably appealed to a wider range of adults than normal.) What's popular with kids is what is going to sell, therefore will create enough merchandise to create a rise in general popularity. March of the Penguins came out around a year before Happy Feet, right? Therefore, I think enough time would have passed to show where the rise of the penguin came from.

Back on topic, the main reason I'd like to see a really good anime film as a contender again is to make shake us a bit from the standard CG kids movie of today. While I know there is some CG anime, the types of films i tend to think of are usually cel. While CG can be great, I think the complete loss of cel animation is a bit sad. Crying or Very sad
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
The biggest problem with the animated feature category is that unlike other categories (directors, actors, etc.), in which a specific branch chooses the nominees from the possible contenders, there is no "Animators Branch" in the academy. The choice there is left to whoever's got enough time on their hands.

Well, a less cynical observation is that, along with the award for Best Feature, the Best Animated Feature is the only category where all serving members of the Academy are eligible to vote, not just in their field of expertise. This gives the award a bit of a prestige.

I would place Scanner as a dark horse for one of the nomination places, mainly because Linklater has been nominated before, and it's not a 'kids' movie. But Happy Feet will win the award because it's Australian.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
RodimusBen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'd like to mention that Over the Hedge does not belong in the same category as CGI garbage like Barnyard andOpen Season. Based off of a satirical comic strip, it was a sharp-tongued lampooning of the Middle American suburban lifestyle and featured a great deal of talent.

Happy Feet, on the other hand, wanted desperately to believe it had something interesting to say but amounted to little more than Robin Williams mugging for the microphone for the 800th time, 30 minutes more footage of penguins dancing than I ever needed to see in my life, and an unsubtle and graceless environmental message tacked on to the last 20 minutes.

Cars was audacious enough to try something different, which is the very reason it gets a lot of criticism. It held up very well to critics as "good if not the best Pixar film." But hell, I'll take a lesser Pixar effort over most films these days. I'm betting on Cars FTW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd like to mention that Over the Hedge does not belong in the same category as CGI garbage like Barnyard andOpen Season. Based off of a satirical comic strip, it was a sharp-tongued lampooning of the Middle American suburban lifestyle and featured a great deal of talent.

Sorry, but I liked Over The Hedge when it was called Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield. I can't really tell the difference between OTH and other American comic strips which make "witty" comments about living in the suburbs, except that the white people have been replaced with furries.

Quote:
Cars was audacious enough to try something different, which is the very reason it gets a lot of criticism.

Yes, I never saw a talking car cartoon before Cars, except for Transformers and those Shell commercials. Rolling Eyes
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It appears I'm one of the few people who got really fed up with two things that seems everywhere for US animation these days: Penguins and full CGI.

They were awesome back in Toy Story. Not so much any more with these look-at-me-I'm-so-witty boring stuff being churned out. Over The Hedge is one of those...crap.

Cars has its own problem; being that it's totally predictable right down to, well, everything. While the thing on the screen might look cool and the animation sharp and fluid (well, it's CGI!) as any Pixar work could be, the formulaic storytelling bores me sick, right down to the predictable "before-climax angst." Then again, when you realize even those supposedly all-out comedy animated movies have to somehow put in their version of the before-climax angst it's all a little sad.

Paprika deserves it. It just. Ah, who cares. Academy Awards politics are just not my area of interest.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
No, I agree, I'm fed up with US animation right now, too. Actually, it's the reason why I haven't seen ANY of the potential nominees. I'm tired of CGI animal movies and sarcastic jabs at fairy tales. I miss the animation we had when I was growing up as a kid. Things like Beauty and the Beast, and Anastasia and Toy Story. Sure, there were some bad, generic animation back then, too, but there was a lot of really GOOD movies back then, as well. These days it feels like studios are trying to draw people in with "ooh, look at our shiny computer graphics!" and "Made by the producers of Shrek!" rather than banking on a good story to draw in audiences.

(And the ones that DO do that, like Corpse Bride, get ignored. Great job, american moviegoers!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No, I agree, I'm fed up with US animation right now, too. Actually, it's the reason why I haven't seen ANY of the potential nominees. I'm tired of CGI animal movies and sarcastic jabs at fairy tales. I miss the animation we had when I was growing up as a kid. Things like Beauty and the Beast, and Anastasia and Toy Story. Sure, there were some bad, generic animation back then, too, but there was a lot of really GOOD movies back then, as well. These days it feels like studios are trying to draw people in with "ooh, look at our shiny computer graphics!" and "Made by the producers of Shrek!" rather than banking on a good story to draw in audiences.

(And the ones that DO do that, like Corpse Bride, get ignored. Great job, american moviegoers!)

I second that emotion...

I also miss when people use to sing in movies. The Lion King was one of the most gripping cartoons i've ever seen. Disney seems to have really fallen off. I am looking forward to Sherk 3 though.

I miss Don Bluth's films. Thumbalina though face paced was an awesome movie. Let me be your wings....let me lift you high above...

I also think that just because there are 15 nominees they shouldn't loose two spots. Maybe one but not two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
The golden globe goes to spoiler[Cars]

I haven't seen the three movies nominated for the award before so i cant judge.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3