• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guess the Geneon License Contest Rules Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
"quirks" might be good enough to sell to a niche market, but in relation to RM's probable licensing fee to sell the title to merely closet-pedophiles is a shot in the foot.

Good to know I'm a closet pedophile because I enjoy Suigintou's compelling character development, and find the story intriguing, and enjoy seeing Jun get over being a complete idiot, and find the Suiseiseki/Hina/Kanaria/Jun infighting amusing. Yeah, I'm a major frickin' pedo because I like how the show's written, right?

Careful. Using your personal opinion of the show to set up outlandish generalizations of its fans will get you into trouble.

Last edited by Nagisa on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

It's your opinion if you don't like the show, but you don't have to be so insulting to the people that do like it.

I'm dreadfully sorry about that, no malice was deliberately meant toward fans of the show who do not fit that demographic. Sadly, in my experience those who I have spoken with (prior to my immersion into Yotsuba) who enjoyed the show were pedophiles or had what I would see as 'unusual' sexual fetishes (redundancy, perhaps?); from an outsider's point of view, I couldn't see why, but after watching the first season I have a much better understanding.

Again, apologies for my carelessness.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
greeeat. just when you think you've RTFI you realized you missed somehthing : "The full list of clues, and the winners, will be revealed on Anime News Network on January 16. The Title will be announced on Anime News Network on, or before January 15." ... so yay we get to know the clues Anime smile.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Call me when they finally decide to release Black Lagoon. Only then will I give a rip.

God, I swear, this promo is one of the most stupidest contests ever. Not even Wizard could cook up such a poorly executed "scavenger hunt."

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6087.php
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6082.php

And once again, Corporate America has proven itself to be frickin' lazy not to announce such things.

They can make a silly contest about an anime whos only claim to fame stateside is an internet meme that goes with DESU repeated ad nausem, and not mention this. Do the companies ever bother to track fansub popularity or what?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

They can make a silly contest about an anime whos only claim to fame stateside is an internet meme that goes with DESU repeated ad nausem, and not mention this.

Only claim to fame? I think that's pretty freaking ridiculous to claim, even if you don't like the show. There are plenty of reasons to like it (a few of them Nagisa just mentioned a few posts above yours), and I checked out this series long before I ever heard of this stupid internet meme.

Quote:
Do the companies ever bother to track fansub popularity or what?

Fansub popularity does not always mean the show will be popular in R1 release.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Only claim to fame? I think that's pretty freaking ridiculous to claim, even if you don't like the show. There are plenty of reasons to like it (a few of them Nagisa just mentioned a few posts above yours), and I checked out this series long before I ever heard of this stupid internet meme.

What Nagisa outlined is a little something called plot development, a revolutionary concept found in even the most insubstantial amounts of anime. RM benefits from having an interesting premise, but without the passive promotion via silly 'memes' like the ourageously annoying 'desu' spam, not to mention cameos on webcomics like Dan Kim's 'Tomoyo42's Room' that massively promoted awareness of the show, I doubt it wouold have been as well known.

I'm not saying RM wouldn't have gotten a decent following, just that it wouldn't have had as large a following as it does now. Without the current fandom, I doubt the title would be licensed because of its probable licensing cost, which is likely proportionally related to its popularity in Japan.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Without the current fandom, I doubt the title would be licensed

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
They can make a silly contest about an anime whos only claim to fame stateside is an internet meme that goes with DESU repeated ad nausem, and not mention this.

Malintex, you do realize that statement applies to like 80% of all North American anime licenses, right? Short of big franchises like Gundam or the various Shounen Jump wastes of time that the Japanese rights holders try to push internationally regardless, just about every anime title brought over here is done so based on having some sort of pre-existing fanbase. Cromartie High, Stratos 4, Haibane Renmei, Twelve Kingdoms, GaoGaiGar, Azumanga Daioh, I have a hard time really considering any of these shows to be hot licensing properties without the pre-existing support of the fanbase they'd developed prior to license. I also have a hard time selling any of them short saying that they "only gained notoriety through stupid catchphrases," or "are only worth marketing to [insert insulting fanbase generalization here]." MAYBE people got into shows like Rozen Maiden or Azumanga, enjoyed them for what they were on their own merits, and then catchphrases followed as terms of endearment.

I know, it sounds insane, but did you not stop to consider that possibility?

I mean, if we followed your logic, then the only reason Fate/stay night was licensed was because 4channers developed that stupid "GAR" catchphrase off of it. It couldn't POSSIBLY be because the game had developed a massive, feverish fanbase based on genuine interest in the characters and story being presented, which carried over to a massive fanbase for the anime similarly based on those same merits. No, screw that, it was only licensed because some snakepit of morons coughed up a catchy word and repeated it a billion times. By your logic, it's INCONCEIVABLE that Haruhi was licensed for the ridiculous surge of fans it generated on both sides of the Pacific who fell in love with its comedy and impeccable writing. No, not at all, it only got licensed for all that "Nyoro~n" crap. Yes, people shouting "gar" and "nyoro~n" was the sole reason anyone even bothered to license those two shows. It had nothing to do with the genuine fanbases they generated which loved the shows for what they were and not for how retarded they could act with them on some image board.

And of course as we all know, when all that "healthy girl" and "Listen to my song!" crap started up, licensors converged on To Heart 2 and Macross 7 like rabid starving dogs. Yeah, those shows went for millions because those US licensors go ape for 4chan memes. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, try using something other than half-baked experiences on 4chan to judge shows on. Both of you. Just because you only know it from a bunch of idiots screaming stupid crap on some black hole of a website doesn't mean all of us do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

What Nagisa outlined is a little something called plot development, a revolutionary concept found in even the most insubstantial amounts of anime.

Umm... no, it was more about character development, actually. Rozen Maiden is one of those series where I love to see the characters interact, and it's one factor that I enjoy most in anime. Not all anime does it right.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, if we followed your logic, then the only reason Fate/stay night was licensed was because 4channers developed that stupid "GAR" catchphrase off of it.

I've heard of this GAR thing here and there, but not nearly as much as Desu and Nyoro~n and I had no idea it came from F/SN. I'm not too clear on what Gar is about but I think it has something to do with being manly, based on this. Fate/Stay Night seems to be more well known, at least in the blogosphere as I almost never go to 4chan, for the "Unlimited _______ Works" meme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3