• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega Production Committee Apologizes for Usada Pekora Look

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
There's no point arguing it was Usada Pekora's carbon copy. Stop making tired excuses as "it's just a bunny girl with braids".
The shape of her head, the hairstyle, the random carrots inserted, the exact facial expression, not to mention that scarf-creature (Don-chan) Pekora has...
yeah, those are not just small similarities. It IS Usada Pekora, and it's not even something subtle.

And yes, it IS just a trend riding heavy ecchi series, with a male protag and his harem basically, that's not exactly a good thing for Hololive to be associated with.
But it's more than just that. If they let this kind of use of their talents a free pass without trying to get permission first, then there's no telling where and how their talents will be used.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Honestly, they if removed the scarf and carrots in the braids it would just be another anime girl with bunny ears. Doesn't paint a pretty picture as far as Cover is concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised if folks start trying to sue each other over who made which girl + animal mashup first. Rolling Eyes

Also, the scarf.
I guess if they got rid of the scarf and carrots, they could get away with the braids.

I said scarf though?

mognator wrote:
This is how you know ANN really doesn't do their due diligence.

Cover was actually fine with it. They weren't complaining at all. Cover never even sent a cease and desist. Pekora was even laughing about it.

But the committee took it upon themselves to apologize for this.

Cover did not care. The committee did. Don't make the news look like Cover actually told them to remove it because that is a lie.

Do you have like.....sources for any of this?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
...Is "bunny girl with braids" really so unique of a "design?" Really?

Bunny girl with braids, two carrots stuck at specific loops and a thick short muffler with a face on it? Yes, a lot.Trying to argue that mob character wasn't based on Pekora would be completely disingenuous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3