• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'll cut you if you touch my anime collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the reactions are a bit over reactionary to be honest. I mean it's not as if that isn't something that a lot of people at cons and anime clubs and such say on a daily basis. Let's be honest here. I think the problem is (for me anyways) is that all of this current wave of design feels a bit outdated. They're channeling memes and sayings that are past their prime in popularity and appeal. It's like trying to jump on with a joke, or meme, but the crowd is already moving on to the next. Which to some degree is just bad timing and bad luck. Had these come out 1 or 2 years ago it might have been a different reaction.

That being said I do still think, while a bit cringey and outdated, some of the reactions are a bit over the top. I do like the retrowave shirt much better. The super streaming anime club shirt from the new group isn't bad. It's definitely made for more of the geeky crowd that goes to cons, clubs, etc I think. The joke on that with the Aplha + EX "over the top" idea I do get. I just hate white t-shirts personally. I think the manga/anime AF ones would be much better simply without the AF part. The black hoodie with the ANN logo is quite nice. Maybe do a navy blue version as well, or some other color patterns. Which you could also do with the previous retrowave shirt.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
.....OK I get what you are trying to go for with your designs, and most of them are at worst ok......

But YIKES the "I'll cut you if you touch my collection" bit needs to go.
I mean I was expecting a Drugs are cheaper then anime shirt from you guys.

I guess if it was something like, "I'll cut you if you don't watch my favorite anime with me" would still be bad, but at the very least it isn't so You'll have to drag me out of the basement when the house is on fire levels of I HATE HUMANITY. Which I am sorry but needs to die way before a lot of the other things some moderators on some anime forums will say goes to far.

I get that some of the moderators or staff at ANN probably love the I'll cut you shirt. BUT PLEASE NO.

@101- I get where you are coming from and even agree to some degree. however I think you are underestimating the problem here really.
In your post I am guessing that you are thinking of the Sharkrobot Bulbasaur "I'll HM01 you" shirt. which was a rather popular fan art shirt for a while.
the shirt came out around 2016 and was around the cons for that year and 2017, I go to around 20 cons a year and have seen their booth a bit. I am pretty sure they didn't even sell it anymore in 2019 at cons. so yay this is way out of pasture in terms of memes.

Second the shirt actually makes you go what is HM01 again, and thus at least has a joke to it, and also forces you to realize that it's a joke by taking a second to understand what you are seeing. It's still a QUESTIONABLE joke, but there is an actual effort made.

Finally it's clear that the bulbasuar is the one doing the cutting and not the person wearing the shirt.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
But YIKES the "I'll cut you if you touch my collection" bit needs to go.
I mean I was expecting a Drugs are cheaper then anime shirt from you guys.

Yeah, those two sentiments are on par with each other for me and I strongly dislike the Cut You shirt. It's just too weird and mean for a company brand shirt and is just unpleasant all around. I'd like the Anime AF shirt if it didn't have the "AF" at all, though. Don't care for wearing curse words on my clothing (even in acronym form), plus the red typography is just garish. The black and white "anime" lines appeal on both the shirt and hoodie.

Love the Retrowave shirt. Indifferent on the others.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, no offense, but this stuff looks more like something you'd wear to your high school anime club meeting, not so much as a grown-ass adult.

You give us adult anime fans a little bit too much credit.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember at anime conventions years ago, there was a similar shirt being sold - "I will HM 01 you" , with HM 01 being a reference to "Cut", a move that could be taught to some Pokémon in the Pokémon video games.

I thought the shirt was clever and those that were familiar with the games would smile at it.

But these designs...no.

I guess my main concern is how on edge society, as a whole, is today and how something like this could potentially cause a bad reaction to the wearer. You don't know the mental health of those around you and something like this could push them over the edge. As a seller of this shirt, it would not sit well with me knowing that something I created could even have the possibility of hurting a potential customer. You could laugh at the suggestion, but in the US, people have been attacked for wearing shirts supporting law enforcement, political figures/movements, etc.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the previous designs, I'm a fan of the Retrowave one. I do wish the design was pushed just a little further, though.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
I was actually ready to get serious about buying the hoodie until I saw the back. I'm one who likes "if you know, you know" type designs. Like I have a WAGNARIA!! shirt but if you've never seen Working! You might thing it's a shirt for an actual restaurant like Denny's.

I guess the way I see these things is, I don't recall seeing anyone with a shirt that said COMICS on it or I LIKE MOVIES, a genre shirt about anime in general seems weird. We're used to branding, so a Marvel shirt makes sense, an ANN hoodie makes sense, etc. I get that "I love anime news!" doesn't sound like a big seller either so I see how these designs came to be. Trying to make anime related designs not specific to the ANN brand is definitely harder than it would seem, maybe the current designs just needed more time in the oven.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'll admit the "Super Streaming Anime Club Alpha EX +" design got a chuckle out of me because I get the Street Fighter joke in it, but the others.... I mean... I do like the front of the ANN hoodie design. It's simple and it's... well, not hyper aggressive.

Given that we're on a bit of a slice-of-life roll nowadays, how about some designs reflecting that type of genre?

Edit: Oh, almost forgot....
octopodpie wrote:
We have some merch from our first wave that is still available that wasn't included in the post. I'd love to hear what you guys think of these as well.

Retrowave T-shirt:
https://www.kaimonomerch.com/collections/anime-news-network/products/ann-retrowave-shirt

https://www.kaimonomerch.com/collections/anime-news-network/products/ann-japanese-shirt

I do actually like these. Especially the first one. Come to think of it, I also appreciate when I can buy something that isn't either white or black, especially for a t-shirt.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote
Too much text and no images. To me, the best anime shirts are the ones displaying the characters with minimal or only Japanese text.

Why not a shirt that looks straight from a contemporary anime that on closer inspection turns out to be original characters for a non existent anime?

If you really want to make a reference to collectors, there is a line from a Robert Palmer song to the effect of "she's so fine there's no telling where the money went" that sums up collecting of any type. You should try to channel that instead of the violent "cut you" comment.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
None of these shirts look "anime" to me or something I would buy specifically because I was an anime fan. Like you could see changed the anime on it to giraffe/ buildings/cheese or any random word. Nothing specific that another anime fan would recognize and other people might look over(the one parodying ridiculous game titles comes close).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I'll admit the "Super Streaming Anime Club Alpha EX +" design got a chuckle out of me because I get the Street Fighter joke in it...

Oh, hah -- I totally didn't get this one at all. Guess that's what I get for not playing Street Fighter except a tiny bit several decades ago, heh.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Too much text and no images. To me, the best anime shirts are the ones displaying the characters with minimal or only Japanese text.

I agree. I really don't like 'text only' shirts...unless they are incredibly witty. I'd rather have images and by images, I don't mean logos.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Northlander wrote:
I'll admit the "Super Streaming Anime Club Alpha EX +" design got a chuckle out of me because I get the Street Fighter joke in it...

Oh, hah -- I totally didn't get this one at all. Guess that's what I get for not playing Street Fighter except a tiny bit several decades ago, heh.

Well, they did eventually make and release Street Fighter 3, so I guess that joke finally got put to rest. Sorta. I mean... they did release Street Fighter Alpha 3 before Street Fighter 3. That's a funny way to counter the "Capcom can't count to 3" joke.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I was actually ready to get serious about buying the hoodie until I saw the back. I'm one who likes "if you know, you know" type designs. Like I have a WAGNARIA!! shirt but if you've never seen Working! You might thing it's a shirt for an actual restaurant like Denny's.
Yeah, I personally like the hoodie without the large AnimeAF on the back. I'll definitely be bringing a few things to the store that are a little more subtle, like the hoodie with just the logo.

Alan45 wrote:

You might see something like this featuring Annika in the future. But I don't expect to license any characters that aren't ours anytime soon (or ever).

CheerSong wrote:
Regarding the previous designs, I'm a fan of the Retrowave one. I do wish the design was pushed just a little further, though.
I would love to make a shirt that is both RetroWave and very obviously anime. We referenced things that fit the RetroWave concept, and were a part of anime fandom, but in the next RetroWave design, I want it to have a distinct anime feel to it.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
You give us adult anime fans a little bit too much credit.
Laughing

Many People wrote:
Cringe
Okay, I get you. I understand you don't like this shirt, and I understand why. But here's the thing, we sold more copies of that shirt this weekend than we've sold of any item to date. There are clearly fans out there who want to violently exaggerate how important their anime collections are to them. If I thought for a moment that this shirt would push anyone to actual violence, I'd pull it in an instant, but it's obviously tongue in cheek, and not going to influence anyone. Since there's a sizeable number of people who like it, it's going to stay. I sincerely hope that our next set of designs will be more to your personal likings.

Christopher Macdonald
Anime News Network
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Many People wrote:
Cringe
Okay, I get you. I understand you don't like this shirt, and I understand why. But here's the thing, we sold more copies of that shirt this weekend than we've sold of any item to date.

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4