• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Case Study of Vanitas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Noé have a real gap moe thing going on? I mean, Vanitas does to, to a degree, but nothing like Noé (gap Noé?). Most of the time he's goofy (like swooning over dessert) or looking bewildered or uncertain about everything going on around him, as childlike and innocent as a babe in the woods. But then we get moments like his almost predatory declaration to Vanitas on the tower last week, or his biting Dom's palm, or even just his trope-laden montage of getting dressed in the morning in the OP, where he comes off like the confident adult hero of any bodice-ripping romance. It's enough to make your head spin. Who are you really, Noé?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am shocked to see people compare this show to fma a lot more then they are black butler.
I mean I get that I'm probably just wrong, but it is still surprising to me

For what its worth, I've seen the FMA comparison far more commonly with manga readers it seems, so I've always taken that statement as more of an indicator for the direction/tone of the story overall rather than the style/world-building we get right at the start.

Quote:
But then we get moments like his almost predatory declaration to Vanitas on the tower last week

The thing I found most interesting about that whole scene was that Noe's declaration essentially parroted his teacher's words to Louis in Ep. 5 ("I simply wish to observe your free will in action and see its results" vs "I wish to see your labours and witness their outcome"). Same sentence, opposite sentiments.

Quote:
the latter taking explicit advantage of her position, which was a vampire whose mind wasn't clear because of the screams of the curse-bearers.

Pretty sure Vanitas said this was a lie he made up to cover for her when she was clearly distressed about Luca finding all this out. Most likely Jeanne was worried about Luca potentially discovering whatever curse or illness she has that compels her to desire more blood than normal.

I was surprised to get two "cool down" episodes back to back, but I've enjoyed them both (even if last week's felt stretched a little thin once the crisis was resolved). It was a much needed dive into the supporting characters & group dynamics while putting the brakes on all the flash for a bit.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Quote:
the latter taking explicit advantage of her position, which was a vampire whose mind wasn't clear because of the screams of the curse-bearers.

Pretty sure Vanitas said this was a lie he made up to cover for her when she was clearly distressed about Luca finding all this out. Most likely Jeanne was worried about Luca potentially discovering whatever curse or illness she has that compels her to desire more blood than normal.

That's correct. They even explained it in their little talk in the alley. Jeanne is a curse bearer, probably similar to Louis, and she has a stronger urge to drink human blood all the time. But the fact remains that Vanitas claims that he loves her but he's most likely excited that he can use her to his own ends. The one he truly likes is probably Noe, who is the one who's crushing on Jeanne for real - something Domi has already noticed and is not happy about because she very clearly likes Noe. I don't know where Noe's crush on Jeanne really came from, since they haven't even talked much, but I suppose it doesn't matter - it's the kind of innocent, childish crush where a boy just met a girl and decided he likes her, even if he still doesn't know how this works. Unless it's misplaced attraction for Vanitas, because he's clearly not indifferent around him either.

This is becoming incredibly and increasingly interesting, but can Vanitas and Noe get married in the end thank you (it's a joke don't come for my throat)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:08 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I must protest. "Fatale" comes from the same root as the English word "fate"; while it certainly can have the sense of "deadly" that the English word "fatal" has taken, the literal translation is is "fateful woman," "fated woman," or "woman of Fate."

You are correct! I decided not to dig that deep in the review, but you're right, I probably should have given Vanitas' statement about being drawn to Jeanne. I also got very stuck on the realization that Burne-Jones' painting, Kipling's poem, and Stoker's novel all came out the same year - apparently 1897 was a terrific year for vampires.

KitKat1721 wrote:
Pretty sure Vanitas said this was a lie he made up to cover for her when she was clearly distressed about Luca finding all this out.

What can I say, I guess I just don't trust anything that comes out of Vanitas' mouth at this point. We did see other vampires seemingly affected by the screams, so I think there may have been a grain of truth in his lie.
Mello12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
his issue is now that he can't ever taste Vanitas' blood because he's been marked by another.

That's not quite right. Just because Jeanne's marked him, doesn't mean that he's off limits for other vampires. Vanitas also has the mark of the Vampire of the Blue Moon on him and Jeanne was "able" to drink from him. These markings are no deterrent for other vampires.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What can I say, I guess I just don't trust anything that comes out of Vanitas' mouth at this point. We did see other vampires seemingly affected by the screams, so I think there may have been a grain of truth in his lie.

Lol, I think that's fair haha - I just figured once Jeanne asked him "why did you tell such a lie?" and that she clearly does have something else going on with a potential curse that it was probably the case.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Lol, I think that's fair haha - I just figured once Jeanne asked him "why did you tell such a lie?" and that she clearly does have something else going on with a potential curse that it was probably the case.

And if she IS cursed, that opens a whole other interesting issue, which is that she'd be a curse-bearer and a bourreau at the same time - the very thing she's supposed to be killing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering what the deal is with Luca's brother, for whom Vanitas' salvation allegedly isn't what's best for him.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Watching the intro this week made me wonder what happened to Murr. Glad to see the fat cat back Smile

Oh, and that sudden scene change with Ruthven was pretty great I guess
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

And if she IS cursed, that opens a whole other interesting issue, which is that she'd be a curse-bearer and a bourreau at the same time - the very thing she's supposed to be killing.

Bourreaux are vampires whose ancestors committed a great crime; thus, they must hunt down their fellow vampires in order to atone for this- and Jeanne "The Hellfire Witch" more than did so...As at this point in the story Jeanne is,and serves as, Luca's Chevalier and not so much as Lord Ruthven's Bourreau.

(yes she's being affected,hence the intensifying need to drink blood)
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
[Deleted]

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:58 pm Reply with quote
These two latest episodes felt a bit lighter especially when compared with Funimation's warning. The comedy between Vanitas and Noe made me laugh a lot especially when the latter suddenly goes from innocent to angry as heck.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
BWAHAHAHA episode 09 was so funny. Laughing

All they did was fight. Priceless entertainment.

(random but)

I really want Vanitas' hourglass earring...; that thing is awesome. I wonder if I can make my own pair of them... xD
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow, I miss a week and what a lot of plot development happened! Looks like we are headed toward some juicy reveals for Monsieur Vanitas and Charlatan. Can't wait... Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I really want Vanitas' hourglass earring...; that thing is awesome.

I like it too, but it drives me nuts that they keep forgetting to fill it with the blue sand or whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4