• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actress, Singer Sayaka Kanda Passes Away at 35

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
Yea just wow...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
She sang well for Frozen. RIP

Quote:
Even according to Hollywood Reporter: "Why 'Frozen' Was Such a Big Box-Office Hit in Japan"

• Japan's love of both animation and Disney is no secret — Tokyo Disney Resort has seen well over 550 million visitors since it opened in 1983, more than four times the population of Japan — so Frozen was expected to do well, though nobody foresaw the social phenomenon it became. Walt Disney Studios Japan scheduled the home entertainment release for July 16, clearly expecting the film to have left cinemas by then.

One factor that helped contribute to the success of Frozen was the local voice and song casting. Anna and Elsa were voiced by Sayaka Kanda and Takako Matsu, two singers and actresses whose performances received almost universal acclaim.

• Speaking of duets for Kohaku Uta Gassen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsOKgugVPc

• 紅白歌合戦 神田沙也加 ×イディナ・メンゼル 「生まれてはじめて」「Let it Go ありのままで」
    Idina Menzel x Sayaka Kanda - Frozen 2014/12/31

Probably a first time ever there for an English-Japanese duet. Smile
Azumi14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
I was listening to “Smile for you” from Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale movie the other day. Sayaka Kanda has a beautiful voice. She will be greatly miss.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Wow, that's just terrible. 35 is way too young to die. I wonder what happened to her? May she rest in peace.

Police are investigating a possible suicide. We'll probably never know. She was an amazingly talented woman and TRUSTICK was one of the best bands IMO.

If suicide you likely will not hear anything more about this. If was homicide you will hear about this non-stop for next XX years
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
Horrible news. Was just listening to some of her music a few days ago from SAO. Go too soon, such a shame. Rest in peace.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
Seems like an accident too much like the prologue to Idoly Pride, that just sucks even worse.

RIP

I worry that this new idol trend might be cursed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Wow, that's just terrible. 35 is way too young to die. I wonder what happened to her? May she rest in peace.

Police are investigating a possible suicide. We'll probably never know. She was an amazingly talented woman and TRUSTICK was one of the best bands IMO.

If suicide you likely will not hear anything more about this. If was homicide you will hear about this non-stop for next XX years

If the powers that be ruled it would be a suicide, why might not one open more about it? Is it out of respect of privacy to her friends and family and the already sensitive issue of suicide?

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
FireChick wrote:

If the powers that be ruled it would be a suicide, why might not one more about it? Is it out of respect of privacy to her friends and family and the already sensitive issue of suicide?

Out of respect to the privacy of her friends and family.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
And likely because suicide is all too common in Japan which ranks near the top of the OECD league tables. (For some reason data.oecd.org is not working at the moment so I can't show you the tables.) Suicides among teenagers have been especially controversial and have been increasing even while the overall rate has fallen. Being stuck at home during COVID is thought to play a role in the increase.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/1672/
dustmat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This is a little surreal, she was one day older than me.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Quote:
The production's ticket seller reported on Saturday that Manato Asaka, who shared the headlining Eliza role with Kanda, would replace Kanda for that day's noon performance due to Kanda's poor health.

Given she was already recently noted as being in poor health, it very well might have been neither. She may simply have succumbed to illness. Whatever happened, I hope she has found peace.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Quote:
The production's ticket seller reported on Saturday that Manato Asaka, who shared the headlining Eliza role with Kanda, would replace Kanda for that day's noon performance due to Kanda's poor health.

Given she was already recently noted as being in poor health, it very well might have been neither. She may simply have succumbed to illness. Whatever happened, I hope she has found peace.

That is not possible with how she died, which was falling from her hotel room. She was impromptu replaced when staff tried contacting her for the performance and she did not show up
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
Her last twitter post was December 8 and she posts several times a week. For her to not use social media for like 10ish days, likely meant she was in poor health. I don't think this was an accident. I heard the way she feel, it is more in line with suicide. Also the method is fairly common for suicide, and Japan is fairly known for suicide. Given her connections to Idoly Pride, SAO, Frozen, and a huge amount of plays, they likely do not want to bring up the circumstances of her death to avoid others following suit.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
English report: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20211221/p2g/00m/0et/067000c

Quote:
Police have ruled out foul play and believe the actress committed suicide or fell accidentally.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
What possible signs might the investigators find to conclude it was a suicide and what possible signs might those investigators find to conclude it was a non-suicidal incident? While we might not ever know whether it was suicide or a non-suicidal incident, we do know how she died which was a fatal fall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4